Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Needs?

Hello Friends!

I am gathering the things I believe I will need for my surgery, hospital stay and at home but I'm less confident of my post-surgery at home list.

I've purchased a heating pad and vitamin patches as well as 10 ounce reuseable Water bottles. I will be getting an abdominal binder. I have Bone Broth and flavored chicken broth in my list as well.

I know that I should not "stock up" on stuff, but I'd like to have some things so that my family is not inconvenienced waiting on me any more than they will already have to.

Please tell me your plans or experience for things you have, will get or wish you had when you came home from the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The hospital gave me a binder. I didn't have to buy one.

I'm on Protein Shakes for 3 weeks, so no need for any Vitamins as those have everything I need for now. Check with your doctor about the Patches. They can be questionable as far as effectiveness.

Have loose fitting pants and underpants! My incisions are in a row right where my pants waistband normally hits. Ouch.

Gas-x really helped me. I also got a very dry itchy throat from the tube in my mouth so some sugar free Chloraseptic throat spray will be a life saver. Coughing or laughing hurts for a few days post-op.

Gas-X strips, some Protein powders (I liked unjury chocolate the first month, hate it now), SF Jello (counts as a liquid), SF popsicles (something to chew on and they count as liquid!), decaffeinated tea bags (warm tea went down better than Water at first)

Definitely Jello. Watch buying too much. The only flavors I could tolerate after surgery was sugar free cherry. Some of the other flavors were too strong and seemed too sweet. Some made me nauseous.

I just shopped some summer sales for loose fitting dresses. I don't want to mess with pants for awhile.

I made sure I had some liquid Tylenol, well Equate generic Acetaminophen that is. I found it to work much better than the opiates they gave me which left my ears ringing like mad. Of course, check with Dr. first. And yes Gas-x, Gas-x, Gas-x!

I just shopped some summer sales for loose fitting dresses. I don't want to mess with pants for awhile.

I did the same thing! I bought about 8 dresses at 2.50-4.00 a piece.. saving them for post op.

2017 could it be, a new me? yaaaass please!

All of what has been mentioned above ... Plus something to keep you busy!!! I went stir crazy the first day until my hubby got something to do. I am not into TV or movies and I read 2 books between the 3 days in the hospital and 1 day home. I was required to be out of work for 2 weeks so really needed things to do in between my mini walks.

Definitely Jello. Watch buying too much. The only flavors I could tolerate after surgery was sugar free cherry. Some of the other flavors were too strong and seemed too sweet. Some made me nauseous.

I've always found jello too sweet so I used 1.5 or 2 times the amount of Water when making it and it helps to cut the sweetness. It's the only way I can eat it!