Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs post surgery

Help please. I am 3 weeks post GB surgery & have been eating very small quantities of chicken breast & rice or Soup & 1/2 a slice of bread ....is this why I have only lost 14 pounds. I see people posting 20-30 lb weight-loss in the 1st month & wondering if my small amounts of carbs are contributing to my slow weight loss. Does anyone else eat carbs? What is the % of weight you are supposed to lose in the 1st month post gastric bypass ?

My surgeon told me not to eat rice, Pasta, bread, or potatoes after surgery. He said it can stall weight loss or even make you gain. All surgeons are different though. Maybe ask your surgeon what he/she recommends. Did he give you a list of foods that are allowed?

I'd avoid the Pasta, rice, bread, etc so soon and focus on getting in your Protein through food. If you are getting in all your Protein and still have room, start adding some non-starchy veggies, well cooked at first (if you plan allows it)

That said, how fast you lose depends on a bunch of factors: how heavy you are to begin with, if you lost a lot pre-op, your age, metabolism, etc.

I'm at my one month mark and have lost 15 lbs this first month.

On my plan 3 weeks post op would still be puréed. Absolutely no rice or bread. Does your plan have those allowed or are you just having them?

I am not allowed any starchy vegetables (or any vegetables) for the first 6 weeks, then only 40-60 grams per day for the first 6 months. No rice or Pasta either for now.

Keep in mind, Soup and other foods are going to have carbs too, you really can't avoid them altogether, so you may want to use an app like myfitnesspal to track your nutrition and calories. Check with your nutritionist to see how many carbs, sugars, Fiber etc is right for you then monitor with the apps.

After a while, you will learn which foods and combinations will work for you.

Also, are you getting enough exercise (cardio only for now) in?

Good luck!

I would steer clear of bread, crackers, rice, Pasta etc... they do not add anyting other than empty calories and zero nutrition. Focus on Protein first, especially now, when you are maintaining it might be a different issue.

Congratulations on the surgery!

Kate

Yes 3 weeks post op you shouldn't be eating solids. You're gonna stretch out your stomach. Follow the weekly recommendations provided by nutritionist. If it wasn't provided then google. I eat lots of carbs but I'm over a year post op...carbs and solids will come.

I was on pureed and soft foods the first 4 weeks after GB. I'm amazed you can tolerate chicken , bread, rice, etc.The first time I tried chicken I could only eat 3 tiny bites and it felt awful. I drank a Protein shake every morning to make sure I made my Protein target daily. Now at 4 1/2 months I can eat enough real protein so I only drink one on workout days.

Our NUT told us not to eat any white bread, rice or Pasta for at least 3 months. We could have multigrain bread that is toasted or multigrain crackers - 2 servings a day (1 slice of bread toasted, 1 serving of crackers). I still haven't tried rice and only a very tiny bit of orzo Pasta that was in chicken Soup.

I'm shocked you're eating solids 3 weeks post op. Are you sure you're supposed to be eating solids this early? I had the by pass and can't start solids until 6 weeks. That being said you need to focus on Protein. chicken is fine but I would cut out the rice all together. Always protein first! Make sure you're hitting your daily protein and Fluid intake. I'm four weeks post-op and have lost 30 pounds. Please make sure you follow your diet plan to the letter. There's a reason why it's laid out the way it is. Good luck!

Rice and bread are for when you are really too skinny and want to start regaining. After nine years, I still do not eat them.

Help please. I am 3 weeks post GB surgery & have been eating very small quantities of chicken breast & rice or Soup & 1/2 a slice of bread ....is this why I have only lost 14 pounds. I see people posting 20-30 lb weight-loss in the 1st month & wondering if my small amounts of carbs are contributing to my slow weight loss. Does anyone else eat carbs? What is the % of weight you are supposed to lose in the 1st month post gastric bypass ?

It would be best for you to talk to your nutritionist asap! I only lost 15lbs in the first 3 weeks -- do not listen to people bragging about losing 30lbs in 3 weeks -- for all you know they started at 500lbs, so of course they lost more at the beginning.
This is *your* journey and you just need to talk to the nutritionist, get some recommendations or a brush up on the nutrition instructions and focus on yourself.

I was told to eat 1/2cup Protein, 1/4 cup vegetables or fruit and 1/4 carbs.You need some carbs but too many can stll your weight loss.

Help please. I am 3 weeks post GB surgery & have been eating very small quantities of  chicken breast & rice or  Soup & 1/2 a slice of bread ....is this why I have only lost 14 pounds. I see people posting 20-30 lb weight-loss in the 1st month & wondering if my small amounts of carbs are contributing to my slow weight loss. Does anyone else eat carbs? What is the % of weight you are supposed to lose in the 1st month post gastric bypass ?

Carbs are a problem. For sure !! Try not eating them however your weight will come off