Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell my boss

I have my surgery date, May 3, and I need to tell my boss that I am having surgery and will be out for 2 to 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I want to tell him that I am having bariatric surgery. What did everyone else do?

I was up front and honest with my boss. He knew I was struggling with some other health issues related to me being overweight so it didn't make me hesitant to tell him. I felt it better he know about it so that if there were any complications or adjustments I needed to make at work after surgery he'd be prepared for it.

I didn't tell them a reason when I had my band surgery. I just said I needed an operation and would be out on medical leave for xxx days. I followed it up with a medical certificate as per my contract.
With my sleeve surgery I'm now self employed so my boss was fine ha ha. My clients were told that I was having a hernia repair.

I don't think you need to be specific in the type of surgery you're saying. You can just inform your boss that you're having a major surgery and will need to take a certain amount of days off. However, if you feel comfortable in telling him, go for it! But I don't think you should feel obligated in being specific

Hope everything works out!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I didn't tell anyone I just took time off. However I have a huge project at work 2 weeks after surgery. Hopefully I will be ok...my assistant is the only that knows.

I am a very open person and everyone can tell I need to lose weight (duh!) so I have been very up front about it and people are very supportive and wish the best for me. I need all the help I can with this so my boss knows I'm going through this. I'm saving up my time so I can take the time needed, plus FMLA covers you too!! Be open, people do care and those who don't just suck anyway so who cares?!!

If you don't want to tell him about ur weight loss simply tell him your having your gall stones out same opp ??? Hope this helps

I told my boss I'm having surgery ,when he asked me about it I told him it's a personal thing.When I came back to work 20 lbs lighter I just said I was sick for a couple weeks after the surgery. It's nobody's business!!!

You don't have to give your boss specifics. I think a lot of it depends on the relationship you have.

I went ahead and told my boss because I needed to take off work so much for pre-op doctor's appointments. I'm glad I was upfront about it. She told me that a family member had WLS and how it completely changed her life for the better. So now my boss is one of my biggest supporters. She's incredibly happy for me and this journey I'm on.

My surgery is on March 20th and I have to tell my job something by the 6th but I WON'T be telling them what procedure I am having. I have only been there 6mo. And I don't have enough of a bond with anyone here to discuss my personal business.

No one knows but my mom and my husband

Only my husband and my assistant know.

Just tell them you have a cold or flu...my surgery is 3/14 and I will be back at work on 3/20.

People at my work are often prejudice about the surgery so...I'm ok without telling them.

Sometimes you have to do what works for you...I'm very private with my relation at work.

I am here to support in any way I can. [emoji12]

Only my husband and my assistant know.

Just tell them you have a cold or flu...my surgery is 3/14 and I will be back at work on 3/20.

People at my work are often prejudice about the surgery so...I'm ok without telling them.

Sometimes you have to do what works for you...I'm very private with my relation at work.

I am here to support in any way I can. [emoji12]

Thanks so much!!!! WAIT you are only staying out a week??? Girrrllll I'm trying to stay out 3... What type of work do you do?? I'm a Administrative assistant but I do a lot of walking and lifting packages and planning of events which require shopping at Sams etc. PLUS I have Lupus so I'm not sure how my body will react to something this serious.

I'm a buyer/project coordinator for Western Refining. I purchase all equipments for shutdowns. It's busy busy and I have a shutdown on 3/28 till may 16th. It will be 7 days a week and 10 hour days. I will let you know how I do. I had my gallbladder out and in 3 days I was back in college.