Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. My surgery is in 15 days which means tomorrow I start my dreaded 2 week liquid diet. I know the diet is intended for shrinking your liver but I know that it can also cause rapid weight loss. Anyone who has been on the liquid diet(2 weeks) how much weight did you lose? I'm currently at 460 and I'm 5'10.

I've included my liquid diet plan down below.

Thank you all.

ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1488138474.725448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hooeee that is complicated and detailed compared to what we get, which is 5x high Protein ensures per day, broth under 5 calories per serving, and sugar free Jello and popsicles as desired. I'm envious you get to eat veggies though!

I'm not starting my liquid diet until the 8th personally, but I've heard of people losing up to 15 pounds (iirc) depending on their starting weight. Obviously much less if you are starting out smaller. Hopefully some people here can give you their exact numbers.

I've been on my liquid diet for 19 days now. Had to be on 21 days (surgery Wednesday). I've lost 14 pounds so far.

I have been on the liquid diet for exactly one week and i cant say i have really lost any weight. i lost 8lbs, in 3 days, possible? i dont know, because on that 4th day i was back up 3 lbs, and today i am back down 1 lb, so who knows. it is the same old story of my life, i thought by the date of my surgery which is 8 days away i would be down at least 5 lbs. i may be up 5 by then. they tell us this diet is to shrink the size of the liver and stomach to make surgery easier. i really feel it is a pyschological test to show us how differently we have to think and how we have to train our minds. for me personally, it is a stuggle. i ask myself how is it healthier for me to mix powder and drink it than it is for me to have spinach with carrots and an apple???

I lost 10 pounds in two weeks....mine was only Clear liquids.

The pre-op diet is not for weight loss (although that usually happens) - it's to shrink your liver. That said, while I was not on a liquid diet - I was allowed 2 meals a day with lean Protein and veggies - and I lost 22 pounds over 3 weeks, so just over a pound a day. And now I'm almost 3 weeks out from surgery and I've only lost 10 pounds since then.

I had to do a liquid diet for a month before my VSG, but that liquid diet consisted of only 4 high Protein drinks a day from a specific list (I used Myoplex Lite) and raw vegetables (no dressings, etc.). I lost 30 lbs. in a month. The first 2-3 days were very hard, but after that it was surprisingly easy.

I have been on the liquid diet for exactly one week and i cant say i have really lost any weight. i lost 8lbs, in 3 days, possible? i dont know, because on that 4th day i was back up 3 lbs, and today i am back down 1 lb, so who knows. it is the same old story of my life. The liquid diet has been a struggle for me, and to the surprise of many, it isnt junk food I miss, it is my nightly spinach salad for dinner. I am still trying to wrap my mind around powdered shakes being better for me than spinach and veggies. If I could lose 30 lbs in a month I would reach my desired bmi for breast reduction surgery and wouldnt have sleeve surgery at all.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:32 AM, bv33 said:

I have been on the liquid diet for exactly one week and i cant say i have really lost any weight. i lost 8lbs, in 3 days, possible? i dont know, because on that 4th day i was back up 3 lbs, and today i am back down 1 lb, so who knows. it is the same old story of my life. The liquid diet has been a struggle for me, and to the surprise of many, it isnt junk food I miss, it is my nightly spinach salad for dinner. I am still trying to wrap my mind around powdered shakes being better for me than spinach and veggies. If I could lose 30 lbs in a month I would reach my desired bmi for breast reduction surgery and wouldnt have sleeve surgery at all.

I would not recommend weighing yourself daily, because you are just going to drive yourself crazy! So many things can affect Water retention, etc. I know we've all heard the advice before, but I would suggest weighing yourself just once a week.

I was allowed raw veggies on my pre-surgery diet. Maybe you could ask your doctor if you could have raw veggies? I don't know what your spinach salad consists of, but I know that the one I used to eat was not just raw veggies. ;) The point of the pre-surgery diet is generally to shrink the size of the liver to make it easier for the surgeon to operate. If you have an enlarged, fatty liver, it can make surgery more difficult.

Pardon my saying so, but VSG is a serious surgery--it was basicly my last resort. if you only have 30 lbs. to lose to reach the BMI you need for breast reduction surgery, VSG may not be the right weight loss method for you.

Also, the reason I lost 30 lbs. during the liquid diet phase was because I was 350ish lbs. when I started the liquid diet prior to surgery. Clearly, you have much less to lose than that, so you likely won't have such a dramatic loss.

Edited by Scylla

I lost about 20 doing the pre-op. You definitely need to do it. It helps dramatically. And you'll have less surgery complications.

I would suggest not stocking up on shakes though. Simply because most people's appetites change a lot. Mine definitely did.

Good luck to you. See you on the loser's bench !!!

My take is not only does the liquid diet help your body for surgery... it helps some of us see how much time and energy went to keeping us full!
This can be a lifestyle change if you let it.
Some of us need to be shocked into changing our lives... and it is hard work!!