Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days out, remorseful, worried and depressed

Hey all,

just hoping to hear people's opinions. I'm hoping this is just a phase as I am so demotivated to do anything even work. My pain levels are pretty low but I'm so remorseful and depressed and I don't know why. I've lose about 18 pounds since the start of my pre op diet which is wonderful but I just can't shake this horrible feeling of dread.

Drinking shakes and Water is still pretty painful as I get slot of gas straight away but I'm struggling through it. Anyone have any idea when these sort of gas pains will stop? It's just constantly burping after I drink.

was anyone else depressed and remorseful afterwards and how long did it last ?

Any reply would be appreciated thanks

James, after such change to your body, it is not uncommon to feel like you do. Keep focused on the reasons you did this and the positive changes that are to come. 18 pounds is a great start, and while the weight loss will be great in the long run, think about all of the things you will be able to do that was difficult before.

What are some things that you have always wanted to do before but haven't been able to? Keep positive, your gonna do great!

By the way, walking has been the best thing for my gas. Keep moving!

Thanks for the reply! The gas is certainly getting better. Can drink a little bit more at a time each day. It's mainly the mental game that's keeping me down at the minute. Feeling physically exhausted and just don't want to do anything not even watch tv.

guess I just gotta hang in here till things improve :)

i am doing a lot of walking it's pretty much all I'm doing lol just walking round the house constantly trying to keep my mind occupied and sip sip sipping away

thanks for the reply !

Hi James you sound like I felt 3 weeks ago, I regretted having surgery and felt down and remorseful but honestly give it a few days and you will start to feel better I promise, my dad said to me the day after surgery " in 2 weeks you will look back on this nightmare and be thankful you did it", he was right, so keep going you are doing amazing and everything will fall into place. Big hugs coz you will need them xx

Thank you so much! That's just want I needed to hear. Brought a tear to my eye. I keep telling myself the only thing that has changed will be the quantity of what I can eat. Which has been my issue all my life. I have been depressed before and whenever I feel down I panic and think I'm going to end up falling into the pits of depression again. I need to just tough it out.

can I ask how long after surgery did your mood improve? How long after did you gain some motivation back ?

Aw James I know exactly how you feel, I suffered with serious depression and am still on antidepressants but not half as bad as I was, I had a few bad reactions to blood pressure meds and an allergic reaction, I was in hospital for 4 days, had a bit of a lift the day I came home but then I couldn't sleep properly for another week, definitely after my sleep got better my mood picked up so it was probably 2 weeks post op, I've still had a couple of bad days when I've been bringing up my food but in general I feel sooooo much better and I'm looking forward to enjoying this change to my life. Hang in there it does get better x

That's good to hear :) I'm just going to take it day by day and see how I feel. So exhausted and dizzy at the minute :(

Keep trying to get the Water down and the dizziness will pass, good luck x

This journey is going to have a lot of ups and downs. The first week or two is definitely a down due to all the pain! Once you are healing, you'll start feeling better.

It is a good time now to decide what parts of your weightloss journey you want to use as reward/motivation.

Almost everyone uses the scale to prove their surgery was the right decision. The problem with that is there are frequently days (even weeks or months) where the scale won't budge.

During those times, it is super easy to get demoralized, second guess the decision, etc.

I'm getting my sleeve in three weeks. So I'm trying to decide whether I let the scale tell me I'm doing a good job, or do something else. I'm quite unfit right now. Walking half a mile wears me out. I would love to be able to jog 5 miles without stopping. Lofty goal! But so is losing 150lbs.

Dietary goals are to learn to cook new, healthy recipes. Get excited by vegetables and learning to use cauliflower instead of bread.

During the immediate postop period work on taste testing various fluids to see what my new tummy likes.

It is easy to get mired in the misery of the now. Try to keep focusing on goals, so you'll know what your next step is when you get there.

You'll do great! Good luck!

Yes I have started some, they have given me some Calcium and Iron that I must start in 2 weeks. I've had a nap and managed to get nearly 500ml of Protein shake down me today and I'm feeling much better for it. I seem to be really depressed in the mornings but seems to get better later on. Maybe its effect from all the meds. I'm sure it'll get better with time :) appreciate all the support

Just a quick question for anyone who's past the inflammation stage. At the minute I'm really thirsty and struggling to drink as I don't want to put too much pressure in my new pouch. I have a 500ml bottle of Water and I'm going to try and finish it within the next 3-5 hours or so. Is this ok? How long does Water take to get past the stomach.

also anyone who's past the inflammation stage. How much can you drink in one go? Like can you finish a cup of coffee? Can you have half a cup of water in one sitting? Can you gulp down 200ml water half hour and gulp another 200ml

any idea would greatly help me as I'm concerned about being thirsty forever this is horrible haha !

I was sleeved Wednesday so I get the what the hell did I do? feelings. I felt so bad from not getting enough liquids on Friday that I made yesterday a goal of drinking really early and often. I always had a bottle or glass in my hand and took a small sip or two every 15 - 30 seconds. If I feel any gurgling or bubbles or discomfort, I take a minute break. By 10 am I had more liquids than the whole previous day. By the end of the day I had had 89 ounces of liquid and 75 grams of Protein and 535 calories. I felt so much better! No more headache, peeing normally, not tired. So I'm doing it again today.

It's 9:30 and I've had an 11 oz Protein  shake, a 12 oz hot tea, and about 6 oz of Vitamin Water zero. Next up is some chicken broth (warm goes down easier than cold for me), then a sugar free Jello cup with Vitamin Water in between.

I also bought a Mr. coffee mug warmer that is on the table next to me. It keeps my tea and broth warm since it takes me a while. If I'm outside walking, I put it in a travel mug to keep it warm.

Taking control of my intake as much as I can took away a little of the feeling sorry for myself. Do your very best within reason and it may help your moods.

And remember this part is so temporary in the scheme of it all!

Thank you for your reply! I am also sipping slowly and often trying to hit that 75g of Protein myself but finding it hard to have enough Protein shake and enough Water in a day :) it's certainly getting easier tho! I've drank more today than the other 3 days combined

Hey all,
just hoping to hear people's opinions. I'm hoping this is just a phase as I am so demotivated to do anything even work. My pain levels are pretty low but I'm so remorseful and depressed and I don't know why. I've lose about 18 pounds since the start of my pre op diet which is wonderful but I just can't shake this horrible feeling of dread.
Drinking shakes and Water is still pretty painful as I get slot of gas straight away but I'm struggling through it. Anyone have any idea when these sort of gas pains will stop? It's just constantly burping after I drink.

was anyone else depressed and remorseful afterwards and how long did it last ?

Any reply would be appreciated thanks

I went through the the exact sames thing. By 1 week you won't feel that way