Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skipping meal plan phases

Has anyone cheated on their eating plans? Today makes one full week that I've been sleeved and I'm starting to feel like me again. I enter the full liquid phase today. During the past week, I've not been able to get in my liquids or Protein bc it just hurt too bad to drink anything, but yesterday I got in 30 grams of protein, and about 40 oz of Water. This morning I drank a 14oz bottle of water in about an hour (makes me hopeful.) I don't EVER eat fish, but MY BODY CRAVVVVED IT TODAY! So I bought a piece and chewed it to toothpaste consistency. Ive eaten about eight nibbles in four hours and I don't feel horrible (literally nor figuratively, lol) just wondering if anyone has skipped any phases and still been ok?

So I was sleeved the week before Christmas and my seven day or my beginning of the puréed phase I fast-forwarded a day or so and had some baked Beans mashed really well and some mashed potatoes as well. But other than that I stayed in each face that I was supposed to until it was over. But I do understand the cravings

Thanks for that. Im still feeling fine and I go for my f/u tomorrow. I'm going to tell my Dr I cheated, and we'll see from there I guess

After 7 days i was allowed soft foods, i think youll be ok

Sure, go ahead and ignore your doctor's instructions. There aren't nearly enough posts in the complications forum. And even if you progress through without doing serious damage to your delicate stomach incision, being held together only by a tiny row of staples, at least you wil be well on your way to feeling comfortable breaking the other rules that actually allow you to achieve and maintain your weight loss goals.

@Dairymary I think the tone of your post is a little harsh, but I definitely agree with your sentiment. Please follow your doctor's instructions. I think a week out is too early to be testing the boundaries. I blurred the lines a little bit during the puréed/soft foods phase, but many doctors lump those two phases together. Good luck, and try to stay on plan! Your tummy is delicate.

Has anyone cheated on their eating plans? Today makes one full week that I've been sleeved and I'm starting to feel like me again. I enter the full liquid phase today. During the past week, I've not been able to get in my liquids or Protein bc it just hurt too bad to drink anything, but yesterday I got in 30 grams of Protein, and about 40 oz of Water. This morning I drank a 14oz bottle of Water in about an hour (makes me hopeful.) I don't EVER eat fish, but MY BODY CRAVVVVED IT TODAY! So I bought a piece and chewed it to toothpaste consistency. Ive eaten about eight nibbles in four hours and I don't feel horrible (literally nor figuratively, lol) just wondering if anyone has skipped any phases and still been ok?

I have not. Been tempted but too scared of the complications

Has anyone cheated on their eating plans? Today makes one full week that I've been sleeved and I'm starting to feel like me again. I enter the full  liquid phase today. During the past week, I've not been able to get in my  liquids or  Protein bc it just hurt too bad to drink anything, but yesterday I got in 30 grams of Protein, and about 40 oz of  Water. This morning I drank a 14oz bottle of Water in about an hour (makes me hopeful.) I don't EVER eat fish, but MY BODY CRAVVVVED IT TODAY! So I bought a piece and chewed it to toothpaste consistency. Ive eaten about eight nibbles in four hours and I don't feel horrible (literally nor figuratively, lol) just wondering if anyone has skipped any phases and still been ok?

Technically what you did isn't 'cheating'. It is stressing your body. The meal plans are not dietary advice, they are post operative instructions. Your stomach, while tough, is still healing. It was 'cut in half' and the cut edge is being held together by 3 rows of staples. There's no need to irritate that edge by eating stuff that could force the stomach to do extra work.

The fact is that even if you damaged something, you will likely not feel anything immediately . Your stomach has suffered major trauma in the form of surgery and it is still healing so it may not transmit signals properly for a while.

Don't do it again. Complications are expensive.. (if you survive).

Wow, that was morbid, lol. Was you trying to scare the cheating out of me? I def hope I survive a couple nibbles of fish as well. Thanks for the reality check tho

Sure, go ahead and ignore your doctor's instructions. There aren't nearly enough posts in the complications forum. And even if you progress through without doing serious damage to your delicate stomach incision, being held together only by a tiny row of staples, at least you wil be well on your way to feeling comfortable breaking the other rules that actually allow you to achieve and maintain your weight loss goals.

Wow, you seem upset. Thank you for input, but I think I may be done with this forum...

8 hours ago, Resha said:

Wow, that was morbid, lol. Was you trying to scare the cheating out of me? I def hope I survive a couple nibbles of fish as well. Thanks for the reality check tho

Not scaring you. People have died from leaks after advancing their meal plans. Not fables, reality.

9 hours ago, Middus said:

Technically what you did isn't 'cheating'. It is stressing your body. The meal plans are not dietary advice, they are post operative instructions. Your stomach, while tough, is still healing. It was 'cut in half' and the cut edge is being held together by 3 rows of staples. There's no need to irritate that edge by eating stuff that could force the stomach to do extra work.

The fact is that even if you damaged something, you will likely not feel anything immediately . Your stomach has suffered major trauma in the form of surgery and it is still healing so it may not transmit signals properly for a while.

Don't do it again. Complications are expensive.. (if you survive).

Agreed but the 'if you survive comment' wasn't really needed. Just my opinion and no offence meant.

4 minutes ago, _Kate_ said:

Agreed but the if you survive comment wasn't really needed. Just my opinion and no offence meant.

I am sorry but that is a statement borrowed from a general surgery professor.

I was not referring to her. It is a general statement. Complications are expensive when one survives it...

Did I say she had a complication?

Edited by Middus