Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI sleevers... results?

Well I'm a nurse at a hospital in Alabama and I work with about ten other nurses that have had wls. You are right when you say people will judge. One of my close coworkers had it and has yet to tell anyone. We know because of the way she eats now and the weight coming off so quickly after going to Mexico.
I've just been honest about mine. I needed to gain some. I had one person be almost mad about it. My boss said your gonna gain weight and then not qualify anyway... lol... wow. Way to be supportive. I have experienced a lot of support though. I decided that even if it meant taking some heat I was going to talk about my experience. I'm having serious health issues. Everyone of my family is a diabetic but me and I'm headed that way and already have sleep apnea GURD and high blood pressure and cholesterol. I'm 51. I don't want to waist anymore of my life wishing to be thin and if I could do it by myself I wouldn't be overweight to begin with now would I?

Well I'm a nurse at a hospital in Alabama and I work with about ten other nurses that have had wls. You are right when you say people will judge. One of my close coworkers had it and has yet to tell anyone. We know because of the way she eats now and the weight coming off so quickly after going to Mexico.
I've just been honest about mine. I needed to gain some. I had one person be almost mad about it. My boss said your gonna gain weight and then not qualify anyway... lol... wow. Way to be supportive. I have experienced a lot of support though. I decided that even if it meant taking some heat I was going to talk about my experience. I'm having serious health issues. Everyone of my family is a diabetic but me and I'm headed that way and already have sleep apnea GURD and high blood pressure and cholesterol. I'm 51. I don't want to waist anymore of my life wishing to be thin and if I could do it by myself I wouldn't be overweight to begin with now would I?

U would like to waste your waist though lol

Hi Wareaglex5, we may be similar in BMI and why we are getting the sleeve done. My consult was done over the phone. I am cash pay, traveling about 6 1/2 hours to Louisiana to have my surgery with Dr. Borland. There are a lot or pre op test that I have to get done where I live and then have the results faxed to his office within 30 days of my surgery, which is scheduled for April 11th. I am very nervous and excited. Like so many others on the board, I have struggled with the yo-yo.
A deciding factor for me, was to hear my 70 year old mother constantly talk about her weight and how much she would like to have the WLS. I am almost 40 and do not want to wait any longer. I would like to permanently lose 55 pounds.

My date is April 3rd with Dr Borland also...I'm 42 5'1" and am at 38.8 BMI and hw of 207.
Nervous but oh so excited!!!
Good luck on your journey!!!

MelissaH74, best of luck to you! You are so close. I had all of my preop testing done yesterday and today. Are you traveling to New Iberia? I am more looking forward to my date, now!! I am about to book my hotel room. Stay in touch!!

MelissaH74, best of luck to you! You are so close. I had all of my preop testing done yesterday and today. Are you traveling to New Iberia? I am more looking forward to my date, now!! I am about to book my hotel room. Stay in touch!!

Yes I only live 2hrs away so not as bad. Call the Candlewood it's $89 a night make sure you you tell them about your ships you get the discount and they also have a recliner, which they say is more comfortable to sleep in.

Omg surgery not ships

I was BMI 34 and am normal range now. The lower your initial weight is, the more likely you are to be in a healthy weight range. No regrets here!

I was BMI of 29 when I got my surgery in Mexico. I am a year and 4 months out, and it has been the biggest blessing. I am actually almost underweight now (I am 5'8.5" and average 125 lbs). I am extremely active. I just couldn't seem to lose those 50 lbs that were keeping me down physically and mentally. I was lucky and rarely stalled, probably because I was active very soon after surgery. Anyway, most people don't know I got it, because I know they would judge me harshly. I don't regret it for a second! Good luck to all of you with upcoming surgeries!

Hi! I started at same BMI as you and self funded in Mexico too! My surgery date was 1/27 so I'm about 4 weeks out. I am so happy with my decision, I have healed quickly and feel great. I decided to go with wls surgery bc I felt like I spent my whole life gaining weight and then obsessively dieting, losing some weight and then immediately gaining it back. Plus I was constantly hungry and obsessed with food.
For me the surgery was about losing weight and keeping it off. I have lost 24 lbs so far and although the scale hasn't moved in a week it hasn't gone up either. I love that I can eat small amounts and not feel full. I look forward to reaching my goal weight and being able to enjoy food in moderation.
Feel free to dm if you want a friend! I love talking about my experience and am open to any questions.

Witch place did u go for surgery in Mexico

Feel like things are moving slowly. Waiting on my sleep study results and can't get into a gi doc for an endoscopy till may. In the meantime I'm miserable at this weight. And sitting around...starting to think about sleeve vs bypass. I'm determined to have this surgery but now I'm wondering if the bypass is going to leave massive amounts of loose skin... trying to weigh the pros and cons. The doc wants me t think about bypass because I have heartburn.... but would I even have it if I wasn't so overweight?

I guess it depends on what your willing to go through to lose weight and how important it really is to you. At a bmi of 30 you're not going to convince me you have major life threatening health problems that you need to have this huge body altering operation to resolve.

I'm not judging. I've had wls. I had a bmi of 38. I stuffed my pockets with weights to qualify lol. I lost 120 lbs.

Did it resolve how I felt about my self image? No. That took a lot of therapy. Did it resolve my back issues? No. That took exercise. Did it free me from yo yo dieting and having to count calories And go on diets and be hungry? Nope. That took eating disorder therapy and learning how to eat correctly.

The effects of this surgery in terms of restriction are temporary. Eventually you can eat again. Count on it. All it will do is give you a break from having to try so hard and get you kick started towards weight loss. It's not magic. And it does not last.

What does last are the effects of having your stomach removed. Dumping lasts. Having difficulty eating things lasts. For me frequent vomiting and pain has lasted.

That said.. would I do it again? Yes. I had a huge amount of weight I wanted to lose. It was overwhelming. There was no way I could accept myself at my high weight. I was at rock bottom. The surgery forced me to get treatment for my issues- my disordered eating and my self imagine and boundary problems. It leveled my life and took me to the core of my problems.

But I had to give up dieting in the end to get healthy and I had to get away from any kind of disordered food restrictions. And now I have to live with my issues physically.

At a 30 bmi, my opinion, is you are WAY BETTER OFF getting therapy for disordered eating and losing weight in a sustainable way because this surgery is not one. My prediction is if you do the surgery you will lose weight and in one or two years end up regaining and again struggling and in exactly the same place except even more frightened of weight and obsessed with food and insecure.

If you do take surgery as your option, please take my advice, which come from a good and experienced place - seek therapy for your food and self image issues throughout.

I also want to say, being overweight is not ugly, it is not a crime, and does not say anything negative about you. Neither does choosing weight loss surgery. Losing weight is hard and it's hard to live in this world where we are judged so harshly. Weight loss surgery can be well worth it. In my case, it was. Just know it comes at a COST.

Hi everyone , I had bmi of 30 and like similar stories have read , probably unconsciously gained last bit , as has been so frustrated and as got older , almost 54, was so disheartening .
So self paid and had surgery , gastric sleeve Tuesday 4/4/2017. So now Day 3 post op . So far so good . Expected much worse as am also a. Nurse , and had looked after people years ago when only choice was banding or bypass .

Enjoying reading all your posts as can relate :)