Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI sleevers... results?

I currently have a BMI of 30 and am scheduled for sleeving on April 21st. Would love to know what kind of results I can expect when starting with a lower BMI. I've heard stuff about slower weight loss but would love to hear about experiences straight from the horses mouth, as it were....

I'm self funding in Mexico. Yes, I'm having thoughts about whether I am crazy to be doing this to myself but I have struggled with weight my whole life, been on every diet under the sun and am so excited at the prospect of actually being able to lose weight and maybe... stopping the future gain so I don't end up in a worse situation than I'm currently in...

I know it's maybe a slightly unusual case but I hope to hear from some people!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went in Friday January 20, 2017, 6am to surgery. Had second thoughts. My surgeon said this procedure is going to save your life. Your doing the right thing. It's been a month today. I don't regret a thing! I didn't hurt as much as I thought. I recovered faster than I thought. I was 10 pounds lighter on discharge. My blood sugar, and blood pressure are w/i normal limits. I can wear shoes that aren't men size slippers. I've never felt more positive about my future and my ability to live this new healthy life. My friends and family can see the transformation, and that means life is good! You'll look back and wonder why you even doubted your decision. Just follow your after care instructions to the letter. Everything's gonna be OK. Good Luck!!

Hi! I started at same BMI as you and self funded in Mexico too! My surgery date was 1/27 so I'm about 4 weeks out. I am so happy with my decision, I have healed quickly and feel great. I decided to go with wls surgery bc I felt like I spent my whole life gaining weight and then obsessively dieting, losing some weight and then immediately gaining it back. Plus I was constantly hungry and obsessed with food.
For me the surgery was about losing weight and keeping it off. I have lost 24 lbs so far and although the scale hasn't moved in a week it hasn't gone up either. I love that I can eat small amounts and not feel full. I look forward to reaching my goal weight and being able to enjoy food in moderation.
Feel free to dm if you want a friend! I love talking about my experience and am open to any questions.

Good luck with your surgery. I was a low BMI patient to. Sleeved three month ago and haven't regretted it so far. Have had a couple of stalls but all in all I have lost near 20kg and I would never have been able to do so without surgery. I can play sports again and am happily active with my family. Thank God every day for having made this decision before my over weight led to other health issues. I know many sleevers lose more in three month but I am happy with where I am at. Some days I get scared that I am going through a leak or complications and start researching symptoms [emoji23]. Some things are tough to eat . But it's a learning curve. What works for others doesn't necessarily work for you. Red meat is still difficult for me. Had a heavy desert once and ended up running from table and puking. But otherwise my biggest issue is to drink enough Water every day. Wish you all the best. Hope this helps

Hi all
I had a BMI of 32. 20 weeks post surgery and have lost all the weight and hit goal today. I weighed in at 87kilos and now 55kilos. First time I've let anyone know that! I had prior health issues and now I don't. Dont regret a thing. Its a process and now I need to maintain and not lose anymore - shit, didn't think I'd ever say that!

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

Hi all! I'm actually gaining a little bit to meet the 30 BMI requirement. I know that sounds crazy but I have struggled my entire life and this past year have started having health problems r/t my weight. High blood pressure and sleep apnea. I have my evaluation Thursday. What sort of physical did the doctors do? I am sure I'll be weighed but what else can I expect?.

Im in a similar boat. I started with a BMI of 34 needed to be 35 for Insurance to cover plus a health issue. I've struggled as well and am in peri menopause and I'm the biggest I've ever been. I need to lose 80 or so lbs. I have mild sleep apnea. I had to do a mental health evaluation, sleep study, ekg,blood panel, and an endoscopy. I have one more appointment with dr and am hoping at that time to schedule surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Wareaglex5, we may be similar in BMI and why we are getting the sleeve done. My consult was done over the phone. I am cash pay, traveling about 6 1/2 hours to Louisiana to have my surgery with Dr. Borland. There are a lot or pre op test that I have to get done where I live and then have the results faxed to his office within 30 days of my surgery, which is scheduled for April 11th. I am very nervous and excited. Like so many others on the board, I have struggled with the yo-yo.

A deciding factor for me, was to hear my 70 year old mother constantly talk about her weight and how much she would like to have the WLS. I am almost 40 and do not want to wait any longer. I would like to permanently lose 55 pounds.

Hi Erica, how long has it been since your surgery? I know people will judge me for doing this, but no one knows the struggle I have been through. I sure hope you get to where your goal is.

Hi Erica, how long has it been since your surgery? I know people will judge me for doing this, but no one knows the struggle I have been through. I sure hope you get to where your goal is.

I was sleeved dec 5th 2016...
People haven't walked in your shoes and not should they pretend too. I have a little bit to go for the weight side but a long bloody journey ahead to keep it off lol.
I was surprised how quickly it did come off and now stopped!!...
you will be
My health is so much better now as well.

I was sleeved dec 5th 2016...
People haven't walked in your shoes and not should they pretend too. I have a little bit to go for the weight side but a long bloody journey ahead to keep it off lol.
I was surprised how quickly it did come off and now stopped!!...
you will be [emoji108]
My health is so much better now as well.

And some people think this way is only for the really big people or morbidly obese... no it's not