Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4day Post-op...feel like drinking too much....

I am also 5 days post but since 3 days I can eat and drink at same time and be able to eat like today I had turkey sandwiche I am so surprised anyone had same situation or just me

Hello, I was sleeved on 2/15. 4 days post-op, I feel I am drinking too much....I have gained like 2lbs today. Is it normal.

I was also sleeved on 2/15 and just posted about the same thing yesterday. I just drank a 32oz Powerade zero in 2 hours I'm worried the doctor didn't cut my stomach small enough. I have my post op on Wed and was going to bring it up

I am also 5 days post but since 3 days I can eat and drink at same time and be able to eat like today I had turkey sandwiche I am so surprised anyone had same situation or just me

What the heck! Do not do this! Your stomach nerves have been cut so you could be doing real damage to yourself and not feel it! Please call your surgeon's office and find out what they want you to do!

You won't gain fat from calorie free beverages. Weight gain at this point is the body holding onto Fluid for healing.

Just because you can does not mean you SHOULD. This is crazy. I'm with Kaiser and they teach you and give you a binder with instructions on what to eat and when to start introducing food into diet. You have stitches in your tummy. If food particulars get lodged in stitching you can have a serious infection. I had surgery on 2/9. The guy in next room to me, had originally had surgery in January. He was eating grilled hot dogs day after surgery. He was back in hospital because he had a serious infection in stitching. The docs had to go back in clean out infection and replace stitching. I heard him telling his wife that he was getting a big Mac as soon as he got out of hospital. I just wanted to ask him why the heck you get this surgery in first place!! I felt really sorry for the wife. She was begging him to do as docs wanted him to do. This surgery is not a walk in the park. Surgery does not solve our obesity problems. Surgery is a lifetime commitment. It's a tool that can be abused. You still have to WORK at eating properly and correct portion sizes. For newbies or for folks thinking about WLS educate yourself. Do some serious soul searching. Maybe try the post op diet for a couple of weeks to see if this is something you really want to do. Most importantly be committed to following your surgeons guide lines.
They are there for a very important reason.

A sandwich? What's wrong with you? You can hurt yourself! Were you not discharged with instructions on what you can or cannot eat? You have to pace yourself and be careful. I'm a week post op and I only tolerate my Protein Shake and around 70-80 oz of Water for the day. Remember why you did the surgery in the first place. Best of luck.

Hello, I was sleeved on 2/15. 4 days post-op, I feel I am drinking too much....I have gained like 2lbs today. Is it normal.

Yes it is normal to gain Fluid weight right after surgery. I'm allowed 2oz Fluid at a time (sip). Wait 5 minutes repeat. What did your surgeon recommend?

Hi Kimberb,

No I was given no such instructions. I am trying to follow similar pattern though, as my chest hurts if I take a big sip or drink too soon. But thanks for input. I am going to follow the 2oz routine.

I was also sleeved on 2/15 and just posted about the same thing yesterday. I just drank a 32oz Powerade zero in 2 hours [emoji29] I'm worried the doctor didn't cut my stomach small enough. I have my post op on Wed and was going to bring it up

LoL.. nah. I felt the same way too, until it was time for solids. All the Water goes straight through.
Anyway, studies have shown that satiety with sleeves is mostly about feedback of stretch receptors to the brain (up to a certain point). People who struggle to drink 20oz a day probably just have more sensitive stretch receptors. Over time their activity will ease up.
But to return to your complaint, I doubt that your sleeve is bigger than average..

I for one think this is a troll post. Even at 3 weeks I had issues eating and drinking..

And i was consuming close to 100oz of fluids in my stage 1.

Sorry but I don't believe you ate without any pain.. even if you were overdosing on oxycodone.

In any case, desist from eating till you're ready for stage 4 post op diet, else you might spring a leak, or itritate your stomach sutures. It doesn't take much to injure a healing stomach.

Hi Kimberb,

No I was given no such instructions. I am trying to follow similar pattern though, as my chest hurts if I take a big sip or drink too soon. But thanks for input. I am going to follow the 2oz

My surgeon said 2oz every 10 min. I'm only required to get 33oz of Fluid for first 2 weeks. I'm also required to drink one 11 oz shake. Friday I go to soft foods and I have to start getting 64oz fluid down. I'm nervous about that. But I am so looking forward to getting to eat something. Most plans call for a puree stage but mine doesn't. I'm so sorry that you didn't get any instructions for after care and goals.