Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretching the sleeve: Myth or True?!

I'm 6 weeks post op on Monday & I can eat a bit more than I used to be able to. I honestly am not sure why, but I'm definitely scared. I think it might be because my tummy is healing, but I'm not sure? It's pissing me off for sure because I've been at a stall since 2 weeks post op!

I believe you can stretch the sleeve, but it would be exceptionally hard to do so. But then I read articles where they say you can't stretch it because they cut the stretchy part out.

So I'm gonna ask the highly debated question because I'd love to hear your thoughts please!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Someone posted about this and included a video from a doctor. Look in the post sleeve forum for stretching out the sleeve.

Lap-banded and love it!

As you heal, you'll be able to eat more. Eventually, you won't. But if you measure what you eat and don't eat more than your doctor tells you, you'll be fine.

Yes, you can stretch your sleeve. But no, you haven't, and no, it won't stretch if you follow your doctor's instructions.

Myth. The fundus the most stretchy part of your stomach is cut away.

The fundus is the part of the stomach that expands to hold more food and is removed, but the rest of the stomach tissue fibers will, if consistently forced to hold more, stretch somewhat over time. This is true of all soft tissue: it bends, not breaks, and hence does stretch, and if stretched often enough will not spring back to its original size.

I believe that is correct. I read something on another group about whether the new stomach (sleeve) csn stretch. There was a study (possibly several) in which the examined the sleeves of both successful and unsuccessful people, and there was no significant difference in the size of the sleeves of both groups. They determined that the less successful group had ignored their cues for fullness, whereas the other group was more aware of their fullness cues. This does makes sense, especially since many of us probably ate (or still do eat) past full on a frequent basis.

I'm 6 weeks post op on Monday & I can eat a bit more than I used to be able to. I honestly am not sure why, but I'm definitely scared. I think it might be because my tummy is healing, but I'm not sure? It's pissing me off for sure because I've been at a stall since 2 weeks post op!

I believe you can stretch the sleeve, but it would be exceptionally hard to do so. But then I read articles where they say you can't stretch it because they cut the stretchy part out.

So I'm gonna ask the highly debated question because I'd love to hear your thoughts please!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It is a myth. Here is the video explained by surgeon.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-to-prevent-your-stomach-from-stretching-after-weight-loss-surgery/

It is normal and natural to be able to eat more as things heal up and the swelling goes down.

By 5 years post op, you will be able to eat a small dinner plate of food. Why that happens is debateble, but it happens to everyone.

That's why it's important to not rely on the tool itself, but changing our lifestyle and use to tool as added benefit.

I always say that WLS is really only the temporary solution to the permanent problem of obesity.

Based on the lecture the NUT gave this week, carbonation and overeating will stretch the sleeve/pouch. She had a patient that went back to frequently drinking non-diet soda and regained all her weight. She had some other stories. We aren't born with stomachs the sizes of footballs. They stretched. Our sleeves can stretch too large if we don't take care of them.

16 hours ago, mlbdl said:

Based on the lecture the NUT gave this week, carbonation and overeating will stretch the sleeve/pouch. She had a patient that went back to frequently drinking non-diet soda and regained all her weight. She had some other stories. We aren't born with stomachs the sizes of footballs. They stretched. Our sleeves can stretch too large if we don't take care of them.

In my experience, most NUTS don't know what they are talking about.

The stretchy part, or fundus, is cut out during the surgery, therefore making stretching VERY difficult. A few carbonation bubbles do not have enough force to stretch anything. We do not have "regular" stomachs anymore. Drinking non diet soda with all the empty calories was the cause of weight gain, not stretching.

There are studies proving this, but believe what you want.

For the record, I've drank carbonation for a couple of years in the form of selzer waters, and my capacity is exactly the same as it was from the year before. So your NUTS "theory" pretty much is disproven.

Edited by Greensleevie

Just curious, and I probably should ask because I don't want to get in an argument. Are you a medical professional specializing in bariatrics? I'm not, but I tend to listen to those that are, with a "trust but verify" skepticism.

The experience the NUT related was not "a few bubbles." She also did a knowledge the empty calories, but she was answering a question about stretching. She's highly qualified, very experienced, practices at a world-renowned medical facility, has published several papers, presents and trains internationally on Bariatric nutrition, etc. My GYN also is licensed in bariatrics and has the same recommendation of avoiding carbonation based on her patient experiences. I trust their expertise.

Personally, carbonation always made me feel crummy. Since the surgery, I gurgle like a darn drain pipe. I don't want to add anything to my system that might cause a problem, stretching or otherwise

Whether you or anyone else believes it, is a choice. I'm glad your experiences has not resulted in an adverse outcome. All we do here is share our experiences and pass along what information we have. But, there's no need to be combative about it.