Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any of you get minimal or no hair shedding/loss?

And if so, what did you do specifically to circumvent this?

I know that a lot of people simply accept it as byproduct to loss and say that it's "just hair, " but honestly, this is the one thing I'm afraid of.

I currently follow a hair routine where I get absolutely no shedding. Additionally, several years ago, I went on a juice fast (via Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead) for well over 3 months and while I lost a pretty significant amount of weight, I didn't have any issues with shedding or Hair loss. I'm wondering if that'll be a precursor for me, since it's still a loss intake/calories and significant loss.

I am currently taking a hair Vitamin, b complex, zinc, a multi vitamin, and Omega 3. I lose MAYBE 6 strands when I wash and detangle (I'm black and have natural hair, meaning no chemical processing and my hair is not dyed either).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm going to have surgery soon, I would like to know. Were you sleeved or gastric bypass? I've heard gastric bypass are more likely to lose more hair due to more nutrition loss.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

H air loss starts at around 3-4 months post op and happens to 99% of people post surgery to a certain extent. No, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Yes, there may be some things you can do to minimize it.

People just need to accept the fact that hair loss and loose skin is all part of the process. If you can't, then surgery is not for you.

Edited by Greensleevie

24 minutes ago, elizabethrudy said:

I'm going to have surgery soon, I would like to know. Were you sleeved or gastric bypass? I've heard gastric bypass are more likely to lose more hair due to more nutrition loss.

Edited by bodyxo
Quoted wrong message I'm sorry

Just now, Lovemylifeagain said:

I take Biotin 1000 mcg and I started that 5 months before surgery. It helped me!

That's awesome! That's the stories I'm looking to hear. Just looking for the possibility.

your smile is lovely by the way! You remind me of a girl I went to school with! :)

I'm sorry elizabethrudy! I'm still learning this board and am doing so from my phone. My apologies for that!!

14 minutes ago, Greensleevie said:

H air loss starts at around 3-4 months post op and happens to 99% of people post surgery to a certain extent. No, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Yes, there may be some things you can do to minimize it.

People just need to accept the fact that hair loss and loose skin is all part of the process. If you can't, then surgery is not for you.

Where did you get your 99% data from?

Also, there have been people who didn't get loose skin (which I didn't mention), as a lot of factors come into play with that, such as how long one has been overweight, genetics, as well as activity levels pre and post surgery. I'm a newcomer to the board, but I'm not so new when it comes to issues dealing with skin. And that information you provided referencing skin is false.

Whoops I didn't say 99% :)

I'm sorry elizabethrudy! I'm still learning this board and am doing so from my phone. My apologies for that!!

Whoops I didn't say 99%

Me too as you can see I've accidentally posted a million times lol!

6 hours ago, bodyxo said:

Where did you get your 99% data from?

Also, there have been people who didn't get loose skin (which I didn't mention), as a lot of factors come into play with that, such as how long one has been overweight, genetics, as well as activity levels pre and post surgery. I'm a newcomer to the board, but I'm not so new when it comes to issues dealing with skin. And that information you provided referencing skin is false.

Most people lose hair after WLS. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it. Fact.

Most people who are 100+ pounds overweight have some loose skin when they lose it. Some can be minimized with exercise, some only surgery will correct. Fact.

Denying it doesn't mean it's not going to happen to you.

I'm 3 years post op, and have seen 100's of posts on WLS boards and been involved with several WLS groups and have gone to conventions and meet and greets and am very involved in the WLS community.

But please, keep telling me you know more than I do, newbie.

Just now, Greensleevie said:

Most people lose hair after WLS. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it. Fact.

Most people who are 100+ pounds overweight have some loose skin when they lose it. Some can be minimized with exercise, some only surgery will correct. Fact.

Denying it doesn't mean it's not going to happen to you.

I'm 3 years post op, and have seen 100's of posts on WLS boards and been involved with several WLS groups and have gone to conventions and meet and greets and am very involved in the WLS community.

But please, keep telling me you know more than I do, newbie.

I'm sorry but where in my post did I say that I knew more than you do?

There was no denial in anything that I said. What I did ask was how are you coming up with your statistics? When someone posts percentages on anything, onlookers DO have the right to ask where they've received their data. You specifically said 99%; I asked where and how you were able to draw such a factual conclusion. This isn't a denial. It's simply calling you on your sh*t since you offered a forum "exacts" without providing data to support your claim.

And I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. But you also don't have the right to tell someone on this board with a very RATIONAL fear that they simply shouldn't' do something if they can't "deal." I wanted to know other people's solutions, and that is exactly what I asked for. Considering that I have done my own research and see that certain side effects are common, I've also seen several people who didn't experience the same side effects and if those people exist on THIS forum, THAT was who I requested information from because in MY opinion, it definitely doesn't hurt to try.

14 minutes ago, bodyxo said:

I'm sorry but where in my post did I say that I knew more than you do?

There was no denial in anything that I said. What I did ask was how are you coming up with your statistics? When someone posts percentages on anything, onlookers DO have the right to ask where they've received their data. You specifically said 99%; I asked where and how you were able to draw such a factual conclusion. This isn't a denial. It's simply calling you on your sh*t since you offered a forum "exacts" without providing data to support your claim.

And I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. But you also don't have the right to tell someone on this board with a very RATIONAL fear that they simply shouldn't' do something if they can't "deal." I wanted to know other people's solutions, and that is exactly what I asked for. Considering that I have done my own research and see that certain side effects are common, I've also seen several people who didn't experience the same side effects and if those people exist on THIS forum, THAT was who I requested information from because in MY opinion, it definitely doesn't hurt to try.

Fair enough.

I'm just trying to help people understand that even though these things may happen, the benefits of the surgery far outweigh the loss of hair and loose skin. hair grows back. No big deal. My hair is back to pre surgery thickness, and I lost about 30% of it. But I would gladly lose it again, because losing a bit of hair is a small price to pay to have my life back.

Edited by Greensleevie