Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass versus Sleeve

What did you choose and why did you choose it ?

Any regrets with your choice ( do you wish you would have tried the other surgery)

I went back and forth and decided the GBP ( surgery will be on the 8th march )

Looks like most post are people choosing the sleeve

I am interested in this also. I got my band removed last week. Still debating which path to choose.

I choose sleeve because I was a binge eater and/or had issues with Portion Control. The bypass didn't appeal to me because (1) didn't want to deal with the dumping syndrome and (2) felt that the bypass required more "work" taking Vitamins and such. That's merely my opinion, though. It's still requiring work with the sleeve so it's not like it's a walk in the park.

It really comes down to your eating habits and what you think will work best for you.

My doctor recommended bypass over the sleeve because I have such bad gastric reflux, which I agreed with. He said bypass will eliminate the gastric reflux and with the sleeve, it will probably be a problem. I am scheduled for surgery on July 10th.

I chose the sleeve mainly because of my medications. I take medications for depression and anxiety and it would have been too much for me to find a balance in the dosages. I've been through those changes and they are not fun mentally. I'm happy with my decision. Good luck making yours.

Sent from my LGLS996 using the BariatricPal App

@shawnak911 What do you mean by with the sleeve they go back to constantly dieting? Isn't it the same with the bypass?

My Dr also recommended the bypass because I was diabetic and there appears to be more success rate with the bypass and diabetics..but I chose the sleeve..it's considered the safest of the two and I know two people personally where the daughter got the bypass and the mom got the sleeve and the daughter has been in the hospital several times after her bypass for dehydration and other complications and the mom hadn't had any issues. Luckily I have had no issues either. I feel great..my sugar is normal and I am off my meds. I also didn't have problem with sugar which is another reason people pick the bypass to keep from eating sweets if they get dumping syndrome. The sleeve also requires less Vitamins for life. My issue was binge eating..over eating even good foods. I chose the sleeve and it was the right choice for me for sure slow and steady wins the race in my book.

SW 232

CW 201.4

GW 175

I chose bypass because there was a lot more data on long-term success. Also, I figured I need to take Vitamins anyway, and it would encourage me to keep an eye on my health.

I wanted to dump to keep myself honest, but I don't.

I am very, very pleased with my choice and would do it again. That having been said, I'm no evangelist. Choose the surgery you feel is right for you.

I picked the VSG because I have less weight to lose and feel it's the safest option. My date is also march 8 !!! Yay twins !

So awesome lets keep in touch !!!

Thanks I love hearing everyone's whys !!!

Gastric bypass here.....because of acid reflux, more long term information and I had a lot to lose! My one year Surgiversary is tomorrow! Feeling fabulous and love clothes shopping now

I chose the sleeve because I don't have a lot of weight to lose, and I felt like it was the safest for me. I hope everyone choose the right one for themselves. I want everyone to be successful no matter what path they choose.