Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irritated with jumping through hoops

Hello folks I'm new here! Well I'm pretty irritated after today's appointment. This was supposed to be my last appointment check up, then one to schedule surgery, then surgery date. I left feeling confident and happy then ten minutes down the road I get a call. Now all of the sudden I am to have weekly therapy sessions 3 HOURS AWAY! FOR THREE MONTHS! I am expected to take an entire day off of work every week for three months, afford gas, and lose wages for reasons that don't make sense to me. Last year I saw my doc for depression which he asked me my main stressor which is my relationship. I tried several antidepressants and sleep meds non worked or had adverse effects. I started seeing a therapist, love her! Saw her for several months then discontinued due to money issues. I had my psych eval required for surgery and she said she thinks I'm a perfect candidate for surgery but that with my depression history (depression being managed well, partner and I sought therapy) she wanted me either to go back on depression meds or have ONE therapy session before surgery. So I decided to go for therapy since I wanted to go back anyway to keep things in check. Had the session. Went well, therapist said things have changed alot and improved since I was last in and that I didn't need to come back until after surgery. I decided to go back about 3 weeks after just to work on me. Now I get this call saying they think it would be best if I wait three months. Which is also stressful as I'm 24 and still under my dad's insurance until 26, but he's thinking about changing jobs and may not have this insurance. I'm so frustrated and not understanding where this is coming from. I'm sposed to hear back from the clinic tomorrow trying to get it straightened out but I'm so upset right now it feels like I did so much work on depression did so well the last 6 months, and never feel like my weight is part of depression anyway and now it feels horrible and stressful. Wonder if this has happened to anyone else?

I haven't had that exact situation but I feel the same way about having to jump through hoops. I don't live by my bariatric doctors office so every weigh in, every time I need to drop one peice of paper off, every class and every appointment requires me to take time off of work to do that. I was given a weight loss goal I needed to reach and was told surgery would be within a month of hitting goal weight. I worked my ass off to get to goal. I have followed every direction to a T and now they are 6 weeks behind on psych evaluations and another 6 weeks behind on surgeries. Seriously? I now have to wait another 3 months to get surgery? I feel like I heald up my end of the deal by losing the weight and now they are not holding up their end by giving me the surgery. Not to mention that they don't offer any communication with you so now that I'm at goal and ready to go I get a 30 sec phone call saying we are behind, see you in 6 weeks, bye. I, in a weird way, feel kinda betrayed and abandoned.

Wow that is really far behind. I keep hearing only a couple weeks and had my heart set on it and now it goes from 2 weeks to 3 months! You should be proud of yourself for losing what you have, you kick started the weight loss! I definitely understand the frustration though and feeling like you did your part and are left hanging. The other day my appointment was for Monday and they had to cancel last minute as their dietician was I'll. Which cost me about 250$. I'm a massage therapist and I took the day off as it's a total of 6 hrs driving (3 there, 3 back). And lost that day of work. Then I get told I have to have the appointment by the end of this week because insurance requires it to be a month apart. So I cancel all my clients for today to make it. So much money gone. And originally I was going to have my dad drive me he also took the day off, and wasn't able to get today off so I drive myself and went broke paying for gas. So irritated!!

That's crazy. There is no consideration to what the patients are going through and sacrificing to get this surgery. Taking the time off of work sucks. It's not only the loss of money (which is huge) and I have a salaried job so I still get paid even when I leave early for appointments. But I get comments from people on my team about how I am always needing to leave early or come in late and I feel like it's giving me a bad reputation. Especially since I am not telling them I am getting weight loss surgery(I did tell my boss that I had a medical thing I needed to take care of but that's it). I still put in my hours by coming in extra early or staying extra late on those days but still. People notice when you are not around. Or in your case, your clients and boss are probably not happy when you cancel on them. I feel like our programs are flexible with that.

My office is short a psychologist so it's backing everything up. I'm frustrated because I didn't have a small weight loss goal either. I was required to lose 40lbs and was able to do it in just under 8 weeks. That's pretty awesome and tells you how seriously I am taking this. So in my mind, I can bust my ass for 8 weeks and lose 40lbs and then you are going to make me wait 12 weeks for surgery? Come on, I was more efficient then that. My weight loss won't stop and I will continue to bust my ass but it's still frustrating.

Absolutely! I hear you about that! Like hello I want to keep it to myself it's personal and I have told the chiropractor who's office I'm in but he has been on my case about being gone so much and worrying if it reflects badly on him. Like uhh I'm trying to get this done as efficiently as possible but it seems like I keep getting thrown curve balls. I'm trying to keep the mindset of whatever will be, will be, I'm doing this for me and everyone else's issues can fall to the wayside. But it is quite irritating. OK 40 lbs is a huge requirement IMO! That's alot of weight on your own, because of my hormonal imbalance I'm not sure I could do that on my own. That is incredible and must have taken alot of work, what did you do to get the weight off? Protein Shake recommendations?

I was allowed to do my psych visit over Skype. Can you ask if that's possible?

I'm not sure. Firstly I don't see it as necessary as my therapist says my depression is relationship oriented and said she doesn't think I need to see her again unless I want to come in. The psych eval I had said I was good to go just to do one session before surgery. Now all the sudden they want 3 months worth?? Doesn't make any sense. Also my insurance won't cover counseling for bariatric support since I have no issues related to depression and my weight there has to be a diagnosis to be covered. None of it makes sense to me.

Update: after a while lotta time on the phone back and forth was able to come to a conclusion. If my therapist sends info that can show my progress from therapy and improved depression they will schedule me after March 2nd!! I'm pretty confident she has that info documented so I am hopeful again.. At least it's not 3 damn months

So..Therapist showed me what she had already sent them and it seemed pretty clear. I feel like the surgeons therapist is misunderstanding ONE line from the letter..Thankfully the super wonderful coordinator gets it and it's clear to her so she's gonna go straight to the surgeon with it next Wednesday and point it out to him that it all makes complete sense. She is so awesome and has been so helpful I wish I could give her a trophy lol. So here's to hoping surgeon will see it clearly Wednesday and I hear good news!!