Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd words of wisdom from Mom.

I mother who had the sleeve done a few years ago told me today to rethink getting the sleeve done. While she had some great success in the beginning, she is starting to gain the weight back. She told me that I would not enjoy going to shrimp/crawfish boils as if I ate even one shrimp too many I would be unable to keep it down.

Considering the last boil I went to was 3 years ago, I think I'll be alright.

Now does anyone vomit after eating too much?

I am preop, but yes, that is for real!

Never!

Maybe I worded that a bit different than I intended..She made it sound like it's almost every day occurrence..And it only takes 1 shrimp. ONE!! So I told her to quit eating shrimp. [emoji3]

When people are still learning their sleeve or pouch, they will eat either too quickly, or that one extra bite, and boom, they are either hurting, or vomit, or both. Teaches you to listen to your body. Full means full! Yes, one EXTRA shrimp will do it.

It may be more forgiving down the road. Most of these stories are from early on in the recoveries.

Good luck!

Honestly.. I felt the same way before I got sleeved. Then I realize that I can't let food control my life. You can eat that again just in a very very small portion. Get the surgery. You will love yourself even more and be happy with the amount of weight you lose. Get the sleeve! Don't let food stop you from getting the happiness you deserve. Good luck

Throwin up sucks but it helps you realize when u over eat.

I just got back from the medical weight loss seminar that is required by the hospital. Very informative and helpful. I think I have made the right decision and my wife has decided to take the same adventure. Will be nice having a partner to go with. [emoji3]

Did you ask about the extra shrimp at the seminar? ;)

Glad you'll have a partner for the journey. That is awesome!

They did show the size meal you can have and it showed 1/2 a stock of asparagus 1 other small item and 1 shrimp..I laughed. Sure the others didn't appreciate it as much as I did.

Im 40 days post op, vomited a total of 3 times. When i have eaten too much i feel stuffed n disgusting. I find for me its not the amount of food that makes me nauseous but the type of food. Some things ur body just doesnt want n make u gag. I use to love tuna, my new sleeve hates it. Oh well. Small price to pay to no longer have to wear a tent to the beach :-)

Initially after pre-op I threw up twice and landed on the hospital because I couldn't stop. That was three years ago.1. I wasn't paying attention to what I ate and how fast I ate. I feel that you can be a good support person for your mom to either get backpm on track or stay on track. I was surprised the second time that I vomited because the first time was horrible. The second time the steak did me in. I still 3 years out have to go easy with steak. Remember we don't live to eat we eat to live. Hope this helps good luck in whatever you decide.?

Thanks sporty it does help. The dietitian yesterday was saying to start before surgery learning to chew food completely which will be a change from the way we were taught in the military. I think I will look vat it as enjoying my food longer.
I don't believe we were good supporters of my mom when she had her surgery or after, as every time she came to visit we always took her to eat to our favorite places and may have pressured her to try some of the more unhealthy options. I believe that has to change now.

Last night I ate 1 chicken leg, but I ate it so fast I was sick for over an hour. My middle daughter is my coach and cheerleader. She knows just how much I should eat and what I should it. It's ok to let your mom know that in hindsight you weren't as supportive as you could have been. But it's never too late and the both of you can continue this journey together. Good luck to you both.

I have to plan ahead so I am not hurried when I eat. Especially on my way to clinical shifts. It seems everything is rushed. I have decided to just not eat until later if I am too rushed. Better than that horrible unsettled discomfort of eating too fast.