Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Sleevers Check-In

4 minutes ago, joannrmn said:

post surgery 1/16/2017.. down 46 pds.. But struggling with food.. Have no taste for anything.. Water taste horrible.. Living off oatmeal..soups.. fruit.. diet peach snapple.. eggs.. I can't eat more the 4 bites and its done. I get very hungry shortly after whatever I do eat and find myself so thirsty all the time.

Has anyone else had these issues.. also finding some fruits like oranges.. strawberry give me some discomfort and my stomach makes weird noises..

I've read of others struggling with certain fruits. Oranges may be bothering you because of the higher acid content. Not sure why strawberries bother people, but you aren't the first to have issues with it. Probably just better to avoid those for a while yet and try again further down the road.

I struggled with nothing tasting right early on, but most things seemed to taste normal about 3 weeks after surgery. Seems like it just varies between people and the length of time before things get back to normal. By now you should be cleared to eat most foods. Is it just that nothing sounds good?

I plan to stay away from those fruits for a while.. but that just eliminates yet another thing i was able to eat. At this point I just don't know what to eat.. I know I have to eat but WHAT! I have decided to increase my Protein drinks daily just to ensure I get the amount of Protein I need. I hope this improves soon because I fear I will get sick if I don't get some food in my body.

6 minutes ago, joannrmn said:

I plan to stay away from those fruits for a while.. but that just eliminates yet another thing i was able to eat. At this point I just don't know what to eat.. I know I have to eat but WHAT! I have decided to increase my Protein drinks daily just to ensure I get the amount of Protein I need. I hope this improves soon because I fear I will get sick if I don't get some food in my body.

I go through some phases where nothing really sounds good. I'll do an extra Protein Drink just so I can eat a half cup of mashed potatoes one night if that's all that sounds good. I've been doing a lot of chicken, egg, and seafood (fake crab meat) salads. My wife made some mini meatloafs in a cupcake pan. They were all about 1/2 cup of food each and topped with a little bit of cheese. Freaking loved those things and one pound of beef gets you quite a few of them. I plan on making the ricotta bake again this weekend as that was awesome.

For me it's helped to have some days where I get most of my protein from shakes and eat some foods that aren't heavy in protein but just sound good. I've been diligent to avoid anything bad like pastas, breads, and so forth. There are just days where a mashed potato sounds way better than a portion of chicken.

I know that feeling.. What are great idea.. meatloaf bake in a muffin pan.. I did not think I could eat ground meat yet. I am so afraid of getting sick I have not touch any meat but a few bites of chicken that I really didn't care for. Not touch bread .. rice or Pasta yet. BUT I AM CRAVING pizza.. :(

I know I need to be somewhat creative with meals.. but I just down have the time or the energy.. Have you ever bought frozen meals.. like weight watchers etc as part of your meal plan

3 minutes ago, joannrmn said:

I know that feeling.. What are great idea.. meatloaf bake in a muffin pan.. I did not think I could eat ground meat yet. I am so afraid of getting sick I have not touch any meat but a few bites of chicken that I really didn't care for. Not touch bread .. rice or Pasta yet. BUT I AM CRAVING pizza.. :(

I know I need to be somewhat creative with meals.. but I just down have the time or the energy.. Have you ever bought frozen meals.. like weight watchers etc as part of your meal plan

Every damned doctor is different, but I was given the okay to eat chicken, ground beef, fish, etc at 4 weeks post-op. I still can't have "heavy" meats like steak as those are too hard to digest at this point. The key thing is tiny bites and chew the hell out of it. meats do sit heavier than other foods so I take my time with it. It's kind of annoying but I do better when I make myself take 20-30 minutes to eat one of those mini meatloafs.

If you feel that things like chicken are too hard to get down you can puree it. My nut also recommended getting chicken from a can as that tends to me more moist compared to baking/boiling your own chicken. I have found that I'm trying lots of different things to keep it from getting boring. Really try to set aside a little bit of time to make some meals. The upside for us is that now when I make a batch of chicken salad it lasts me for 2-3 days where before it lasted maybe 1...lol. Things like the meatloaf don't take that long to prep and you'll have a couple days worth of food if you don't mind leftovers.

If you haven't seen it before take a look at this site for some meal ideas: theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

bI know .. your MD tells you one thing.. dietitian tells you another. But I tend to follow what my body is telling me. For now I am not feeling meats in general. Will be shopping today for deli meats.. turkey.. chicken.. ham.. maybe some roast beef.. low fat cheese. Will definitely look at this website for meal ideas.. Thanks for the feedback... we are a community of sleeves.. must support one another..

10 hours ago, joannrmn said:

The Atkins frozen meals are higher in Protein. My food plan says no Protein drinks after 2 weeks. No more drinking calories ever. I eat Protein at every meal, eggs, chicken (moist), deli meat, cottage cheese and Beans. I can get one of those things in every meal.

I'm starting to get really bored with the soft food/ all Protein diet and am starting to experiment and see what I can tolerate. I tried small amounts of breads and Pasta, have had some thin crust pizza, a small amount of steak, all of which was tolerated without issue, I want to start eating balanced nutrition meals, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions on real meals?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm only six days post op but pre surgery I used skinnytaste.com and it was great. Healthy meals with the nutrition information included for easy meal tracking in myfitnesspal or other apps. There is also a website called bariatriceating.com (I think) with good recipes. Someone posted a great pizza recipe where crust was chicken and Parmesan.

Go in today for my 6 week follow-up. Time has flown by. It actually feels like it's been way longer than 6 weeks. Seems like I'm in a wee bit of a stall. Only down about 3 lbs since last Monday 2/27. Not sure if it's because of switching back to regular foods (out of the pureed stage now) or what. Carbs are still relatively low and getting my Water and Protein goals no problem. I did get my gym membership going again and will be getting back at it finally so that will hopefully kick things back into gear.

Hope everyone else is doing well! :D

According to my doctor you have not stalled. He says you will lose about 2 pounds a week at that point. I'm at the same point & I was worried to. Luckily, my appointment was right around the corner.