Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, Kathy812 said:

@bodyxo, I will never tell you to have or not have the surgery, it is a personal choice. hair was a huge deal for me ,I do mean huge, so I understand your fear. In the end, I felt the benefits of weight loss surgery, far outweighed the cons.

Prior to surgery I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, plantar fasciitis & borderline diabetic. I'm proud to say two years later I no longer have any of these issues. I did lose some hair. It thinned out quite a bit. I now have my length back but it's still not as thick as it used to be. I have also gained some weight back (11lbs) and working to get rid of it. Despite it all, I have Absolutely NO regrets about having the surgery. My instincts were right.... The benefits DID outweigh the cons.

Hair grows back. Nowadays, we have lots of hair options. Not everyone loses hair. I used Biotin before the surgery and still today (10,0000mcg). Remember, Biotin does not prevent Hair loss. I was told it can help hair grow back healthy and hopefully quicker.

Best wishes

Thank you Kathy!! I appreciate the comment and insight! ❤️

At two months out I thought I had dodged that bullet. Nope. At three months out my drain monkeys morphed into drain gorillas. Five months out (now), it is slowing. I was lucky in that I started out with VERY thick hair. It is not too thin now, but if this goes on too much longer, I will start to worry. My drain gorilla today was a little smaller. I hope it stops soon. I am NOT sorry I got the sleeve done. Life looks bright.

One year out this month. Lost 100 lbs. I did shed hair but I also had it cut lady June which probably wasn't the smartest move. It's getting thicker but I hated that I once had long thick hair and now short and thinner. Comparing some Hair loss and losing 100 lbs I WOULD STILL HAVE THE SLEEVE! How I feel, the energy I have, knowing I can wear skinny jeans and look great.... means so much more. Jogging 4 miles a day!!! Not even close to being a diabetic anymore means so very much more.

Omg lol I am worried about my edges. I have fine hair and the worst thing is thinning fine hair. That was making me worry a lot about the procedure but I realized that I can buy hair but I cannot buy a new me and I cannot buy more time on this earth. I want to live the remaining years I have happy healthy and full of life as I can. That matters more.

Love the product suggestions

This is my greatest fear. I tell everyone my hair is my best asset. I am African American with natural thick,healthy, and nearly waist length hair. I don't know what I would do if I lost it. I'm so scared. I try to think of the benefits of the surgery but I am still afraid. I'm just hoping and praying.

Biotin doesn't work for everyone. Biotin is also prone to breaking your skin out. You have to almost Water board yourself to get enough Water in to prevent skin break outs. I don't think many people immediately post-op can get a gallon of water in a say.

Zinc, sulfer and Iron are better supplements than biotin. Still if your hair is shedding from a medical/hormonal reason, nothing will stop it, these things will just help it grow back faster.

25 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Biotin doesn't work for everyone. Biotin is also prone to breaking your skin out. You have to almost Water board yourself to get enough Water in to prevent skin break outs. I don't think many people immediately post-op can get a gallon of water in a say.

Zinc, sulfer and Iron are better supplements than biotin. Still if your hair is shedding from a medical/hormonal reason, nothing will stop it, these things will just help it grow back faster.

I am currently taking 10-15,000mcg of biotin per day and thankfully haven't experienced any breakouts. I also take zinc 1-2 times per week and a b complex. Both of those likely have helped with that.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:40 AM, Thejeweledsleeve said:

Are there any natural hair woman whom have gotten Bariatric surgery? I would like to know about your Hair loss and did your hair change.

After almost 4 years natural, I am just learning my hair and I am wondering will it change or fall out? If, so how long did it take to grow back?

I am considering getting gastric sleeve and I am currently natural and one of my concerns was the hair loss issue. I've worked sooo hard to learn my hair and the various textures that I have so I hope if I get the surgery that my hair won't fall out or hopefully it would be minor light shedding and not noticeable.