Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just revised from Sleeve to MGB

Hi

I got my Sleeve to MGB revision surgery done yesterday in Tijuana, MX by Dr jaime Ponce de leon. I'm surprised at how well I am recovering right now. I'm doing way better than I did when I got my Sleeve in July 2010.

Dr. Ponce has been doing the MGB for years and in December 2016 he was trained first-hand by Dr Rutledge the creator of the Mini Gastric Bypass during a conference in TJ.

Dr. Ponce was only going to bypass me as recommended by Dr Rutledge in sleeve revisions, but he found a larger than usual fundus which my previous Dr. is known for creating. He reshaped my pouch and bypass 7ft of intestines. I had a little gas discomfort after surgery, but I'm up walking comfortably on my own.

I'm thankful for this forum! All of your stories have been an inspiration to me during these 9 months of researching. I'm looking forward to helping others as I recover as well. If you have any questions please don't hestitate to ask.

Edited by NuHorizons
Grammar

Dr Ponce training with Dr Rutledge

Sounds great! How did you choose between Dr. Ponce and Dr. Illan?

Why the mini instead of the RNY?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi

I chose Dr Ponce de leon due to his expertise. Many doctors including Dr. Illan have trained under Dr Ponce. He's very skilled and he's stays on top of the latest technology and techniques by attending conferences. Him and a few other Doctors were chosen to work with Dr Robert Rutledge(the creator of MGB) during a live Mini Gastric Bypass operation this past Dec 2016. That says a lot about his character and his expertise.

I chose the MGB over the RNY due to the complications of RNY, plus I've known many people who have been hospitalized for various reasons after getting the RNY. It's considered the Gold Standard in the USA, but Doctors abroad are performing the MGB and sleeve more than RNY. Other countries are very receptive to the MGB. The only complications that I have been able to find were low Iron and occasionally bile relux in less than 1% of surveyed patients. The bile reflux can be prevented during surgery with the Carbajo Stitch technique. Only skilled surgeons know about is technique. There are surgeons performing the MGB in Mexico, but I wouldn't let just anyone operate on me, especially those who didn't bother to attend the MGB Conference in Tijuana this past December 2016. Every Surgeon who does MGB should have been there to learn the proper technique.

I hope this helps.

Getting ready to get my drain removed. I only have 3 incisions and 1 small incision for the drain

20170212_093413.jpg

Now, I'm relaxing at the beautiful Hyatt Place Hotel. It was my preference to stay here so I paid a little extra on top of my package price. It's well worth it. The hotel is immaculate and smoke-free. It comes with a fridge in your room, a 42" TV with a variety of English channels, a queen size hide-a-bed sofa and free continental Breakfast for your companion.

20170212_154142.jpg

20170212_154211.jpg

20170212_154257.jpg

20170212_154136_HDR.jpg

What happened with the sleeve that you had previously ?

My previous surgeon didn't reduce my fundus properly, so that left me with a larger sleeve. I always wondered why I nevered experienced the "honeymoon phase" now I know why. My stomach was too big and it allowed more food to fit in. That's why my weight loss was slow and I never reached my goal.

Edited by NuHorizons
Typo

On 2/12/2017 at 5:39 PM, NuHorizons said:

Getting ready to get my drain removed. I only have 3 incisions and 1 small incision for the drain

20170212_093413.jpg

you

On 2/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, NuHorizons said:

Hi

I chose Dr Ponce de leon due to his expertise. Many doctors including Dr. Illan have trained under Dr Ponce. He's very skilled and he's stays on top of the latest technology and techniques by attending conferences. Him and a few other Doctors were chosen to work with Dr Robert Rutledge(the creator of MGB) during a live Mini Gastric Bypass operation this past Dec 2016. That says a lot about his character and his expertise.

I chose the MGB over the RNY due to the complications of RNY, plus I've known many people who have been hospitalized for various reasons after getting the RNY. It's considered the Gold Standard in the USA, but Doctors abroad are performing the MGB and sleeve more than RNY. Other countries are very receptive to the MGB. The only complications that I have been able to find were low Iron and occasionally bile relux in less than 1% of surveyed patients. The bile reflux can be prevented during surgery with the Carbajo Stitch technique. Only skilled surgeons know about is technique. There are surgeons performing the MGB in Mexico, but I wouldn't let just anyone operate on me, especially those who didn't bother to attend the MGB Conference in Tijuana this past December 2016. Every Surgeon who does MGB should have been there to learn the proper technique.

I hope this helps.

yes, this does help....I am scheduled for MGB on 4 March (Not Dr. Ponce), but I am nervous and excited. how are you feeling today....Hows the weight loss coming.

Hi

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date! I'm doing well. I returned to work today & I feel great. I'm 11 days post on and I'm down 15lbs so far. My scars have healed so nicely that I have trouble locating my 3rd incision. I know it's in my belly button, but I can't find it. Lol! I didn't have any stitches to get removed just steri-strips.

I think my recovery is way better this time than with the sleeve because I started exercising 2 months before my surgery. Plus I had an awesome Surgeon and a better support system this time around. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Best wishes to you!

If you are thinking about this surgery please grab a few bottles of Poo-Pouri. Your family and your Co-workers will thank you. ??

I have two bottles. I keep the smaller one in my purse at all times. I plan on getting some more.

IMAG0036.jpg

If you are thinking about this surgery please grab a few bottles of Poo-Pouri. Your family and your Co-workers will thank you.
I have two bottles. I keep the smaller one in my purse at all times. I plan on getting some more.

IMAG0036.thumb.jpg.ed25ce846cdaf1a201cbc0c82e3f4a6b.jpg

You can make your own. Google the recipe. I go through so much I need to economize.

11 minutes ago, Vinasu said:

You can make your own. Google the recipe. I go through so much I need to economize.

Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!

Hmmm, I ready about the smell afterwards...I wonder why that is...

Hello, thank you for your story, it does help, I am getting ready to schedule my surgery with Dr. Illan for late March, he recommends the MGB, I have been trying to find as much information out there about the procedure since it's not done that much in the states. Your story helped alot, I hope you are doing well, I would love to keep in touch if possible.