Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Hopelessly tired!

I am 2 weeks post op, and I'm so tired I can barley function through out the day. I am certain I'm not getting enough Protein, but with the 2 oz restriction I find it nearly impossible to reach the 60 g requirements. My dr specifically restricts against Protein Shakes and I'm unsure how to get the protein I need with out them. I'm fallen short meeting my Fluid requirements up until today, but I am doing well with my Vitamins. I also work out on the treadmill for 30 minutes 5X a week.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks

It's standard procedure here if you have sleeve or bypass to get B12 injections regular. I already have pernicious anaemia and the tiredness is lethal when I'm running low.

I know people will say it's down to recovery and protein/liquids etc but might be worth while checking your folate and b12 levels.

Fridge Pickers Wear Bigger Knickers [emoji200]

Thank you I do take B-12 but I will also look into injections.

Has your surgeon explained why you aren't allowed Protein Shakes? Mine wanted me to eventually be able to replace them with "real food", but recognized how challenging it would be to achieve Protein goals before being back on solid foods without them. It seems *highly* unlikely that any VSG patient would be able to reach protein goals at only two weeks out with no supplementation.

Also, I find it insane that you are already working out at only 2 weeks post-op. I wasn't cleared for anything more than "brisk walking" until 60 days post-op. Of course you are tired if you are still consuming energy to heal, burning calories from working out, not getting enough protein, and probably only getting about 400-500 calories a day at best! How could you possibly NOT be tired?

That makes sense, my doc said the reasoning is because the shakes dont keep you full as long as meals do. Would it be sensible to still eat my regular 3 meals but also add in some Protein shakes as well? I'm 100% sticking to the program but have only lost 6lbs post op. Its discouraging to say the least.

I found as long as I try to meet my 90grams of Protein a day I have plenty of energy. However, with that said I usually hit around 50-60grams of protein a day. I also just started Walk/jogging for 45mins. I'm 30days post-op. No pain except my hips and back. Just try to keep your protein up I also bought the powder that has no taste to add to foods.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

15 minutes ago, chula82 said:

I was told that I should be drinking the shakes until I'm at least 6 months out and even then may have to depending on how much Protein I'm able to eat. I was however told to not use the shakes as a meal but a snack. I usually have Breakfast, lunch and dinner and split my shake in half for two Snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Great feedback thank you

4 minutes ago, Deputydog35 said:

I found as long as I try to meet my 90grams of Protein a day I have plenty of energy. However, with that said I usually hit around 50-60grams of Protein a day. I also just started Walk/jogging for 45mins. I'm 30days post-op. No pain except my hips and back. Just try to keep your protein up I also bought the powder that has no taste to add to foods.

So are you using both food and powder to hit the 50+ grams then right? How are you mixing it, just by sprinkling it on your food or?

Thanks

That makes sense, my doc said the reasoning is because the shakes dont keep you full as long as meals do. Would it be sensible to still eat my regular 3 meals but also add in some Protein shakes as well? I'm 100% sticking to the program but have only lost 6lbs post op. Its discouraging to say the least.

It takes time... make sure you're walking and drinking lots of Water. I hit a Plateau at 3 weeks and became frustrated but just kept chugging ahead and finally started loosing again. Keep the faith it will work! YOU CAN DO THIS!!

First off, at 2 weeks out, "food" is really just liquids. You may or may not feel full by loading up on the shakes, but that is pretty inconsequential this early on. Protein, hydration, and Vitamins, and walking. THOSE are the important things.

Your stomach will continue healing for at least the first 8-9 weeks. That's why solid food doesn't start until then. (Soft foods that go down in the consistency of applesauce really aren't "solid", are they!) The feeling of solid food pressing against the sides of the stomach are what will make you feel full, but that can't happen during the initial period.

I can't advise you to go against your Doctor, but perhaps you can speak with him/her, and get some clarification on the issue. If the concern is you feeling hungry, then that doesn't seem like a huge concern... particularly if it is keeping you from meeting the requirements.

Oh, and the unflavored Protein powders can be added to Soups and the like. They need to be mixed with a liquid, not consumed dry.

Good luck!