Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the process of doing research and still deciding if surgery is the right option for me. I only have my first appointment with my surgeon next week. My health insurance covers the procedure, but I have an out-of-pocket expense of $3,500. The rest is covered. I'm 5'-6", 250 lbs, BMI 40, and 32 yrs old. The two options I'm deciding between are standard gastric bypass and the sleeve. I guess the doctor will help me decide which option is the best for me, but I wanted to reach out to this community and see what others have experienced or see if you have any advice for me. I also want to have a baby in about two years or so. I've read that they recommend waiting 12-18 months, so that is not an issue for me. Why am I still undecided? It seems like surgery is a great option and there are low complication rates over all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

We are about the same stats, but I'm a little older than you. I have no co-morbidities and my surgeon advised that it is probably best for me to go the sleeve route. Which I was leaning towards anyway. Less complications all over for me.

Hi MelodySG,

I think it is normal to be undecided because this is a very serious and life changing procedure. If you have struggled with your weight and losing does not come easy for you then surgery may be the way to go but you must be fully committed to it if you do decide to go this route. I have had the sleeve and the bypass so I am familiar with both. (long story) The Sleeve is definitely a lot easier so since you don't really have that much to lose you might seriously consider that route. The surgery is affective and you will lose weight but there are lots of rules to follow and if you are not a rule follower you might not want to do this. Good luck to you.

I am sooo happy I had my surgery... I wouldn't change it for the world. Happy and still losing.

This is a very drastic way to lose weight. Is it rational to tear away a healthy organ in exchange for weight loss.

I am not sure I made the right decision. Complication rates are low but you have no guarantees you won't be among those thar face those issues.

Personally, it's probably the biggest mistake of my life. I am dea lung with worsening acid reflux issues that I can tell you know is absolutely not worth the weight loss.

My advice to you, and this my opinion. Don't do it :(

I really appreciate the input. @Newme17 Is your surgery date coming up? The sleeve is also what I'm leaning towards. I'm sure I will know more after meeting with the surgeon. @1Day1Life4Now I know I have to change things in my life. I can be a rule follower, when I have to be, and I know I have to be now. I want to make these changes in my life now, so that I'm living life to the fullest for as long as possible. I want to know that I did all I could to make the change. My goal weight is about 150, and at 250, I feel like 100 pounds is a lot to loose, and then a lot to gain from that. @AnneElliot I'm sorry to hear that you have had poor side effects. I am glad that you shared your story with me. It makes both outcomes real possibilities. I really hope that I'm considering all the potential risks. I meet with a dietitian next Thursday as well. Maybe through conversations with him/her and the surgeon, I can realize other options. My husband is ready and willing to fully support me through any decisions, so we will see.

I won't get my date until maybe at the end of April/early May. But until then, I have 3 more NUT appts and a pysch eval (on Monday) and that's it. I'm doing this for prevention of co-morbidities. Also to not end up like my mother, overweight and tons of problems...including cancer she's been battling forever it seems. She can't walk without pain, she can't do a lot of things, and she's miserable. I just cannot fathom myself in her shoes, EVER. So, I'm doing something about it.

Newme17 and MelodySG we're all about the same size. My BMI is also 40. I'm 5' 7" though :)

I decided to go with the sleeve because it is less invasive and less chance of complications. My surgery is mid- March. I will keep an eye on how you guys are doing! It's nice to find people who are starting from a similar place.

Leading up to the pre-op diet, I'm on an low-carb, big Protein diet and have lost 8 lbs! So happy to be in the 240's this morning!

Edited by 1poundatatime