Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no fried food?

It has been recommended not to eat fried or fatty food... Anyone know the reason and/or the consequences??

Depends.

My stomach gets a little bit queasy if I eat too much fat. Some people get diarrhea. Some people avoid it only because of the calories.

High fat foods can cause dumping which can result in hours in the bathroom. It was explained to me this way:

Part of your intestines have been bypassed - the part that breaks down food coming directly from the stomach. The intestines below that are not used to receiving food that hasn't been digested fully and don't know how to deal with it. So your brain decides the offending food (fat or sugar) needs to be get rid of and sends the Water in your body to that location to flush it out - causing diarrhea. Additional symptoms can include: Bloating, Sweating, Abdominal cramps and pain, Nausea, Heart palpitations and fast heartbeat.

A friend came to a party at our house several years ago that had Bypass many years ago. She disappeared and someone finally approached me and said she had been in our bathroom for several hours. She had eaten something she wasn't used to and had experienced dumping.

I am about 3 months out and I am extremely sensitive to Fats and Sugar. Even the slightest bit of oil will send me to the bathroom causing me to throw up! From what my doc. said everyone is different.

Not to mention you have a smaller stomach and need to put things that will give you the most nutrition in first. Already you won't absorb nutrients as well as you did before hand, that's why you'll be taking Vitamins. So putting in good food as opposed to food that's not so good for you is key. At least that's kinda how it was explained to me. Still if your stomach can handle it I'm sure flubs now and then won't hurt you?

Not to mention the fried foods and high fat foods are partly what helped to get us into this position .. So I'd say go easy on that stuff even if you can tolerate it.. These surgeries aren't a cure they are a tool.. It is possible to gain weight back after you've lost!
Good luck on your wljourney :)

Munky

Dumping is not as common with the sleeve, but it most assuredly still possible to dump. And it is truly an awful experience.

Yeah you feel like your on the verge of throwing up. A lot of gas and burping. Nausea. DONT DO IT. You want to try tiny amounts of new foods first to test tolerance.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks ?

Anyone try a chicken wing? Fried or baked?

What about spicy food?

I love spicy food and had salsa etc early on, as soon as it was allowed. I have not had any issues with it.

Depending how long post op... but if u eat fried foods for first 6 - 9 months you'll probably vomit or dump. After that u can start eating them I've had fish and chips, hamburgers, chicken wings, French fries ... just can't eat much a few bites is filling.

Everyone is talking about air fryers.A convection toaster oven or regular convection oven does the same thing. slice potatoes like fries[I use sweet potatoes better for you],soak in cold Water to soak some starch out. Then dry out.The cook in convection oven will be crisp like fries.Y You can skip the soaking but not as crisp.Cook in Convection oven.