Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about MGB, any insight??

The MGB is similar to RNY. Both of them are great for people with acid reflux, usually getting rid of it completely. It's the sleeve gastrectomy that can cause and make existing acid reflux worse. Acid reflux due to existing ulcers is not a product of the MGB.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:47 AM, bluey said:

From: http://www.obesitycoverage.com/mini-gastric-bypass-the-good-bad-and-ugly/

ADDITIONAL RISKS WITH MINI-GASTRIC BYPASS COMPARED TO GASTRIC BYPASS

1. Severe acid-reflux. Because the pouch is small and the remainder of the stomach is still connected to the intestines. It is possible for gastric juices to travel down the intestines and into the new pouch.

I'm sorry but this information is simply not correct. When you watch a surgery, you will see that both the MGB and the RNY leave the rest of the stomach intact. The digestive juices do not travel into the pouch if the surgeon does it correctly. So it does what the RNY does. It helps to get rid of acid reflux. I had the MGB three months ago. No reflux at all.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, bluey said:

I can only comment on what my surgeon told me. He said that the sleeve and the MGB are similar with regards to the remaining stomach - both are a high pressured valves which can cause acid to leak.

I'm not wanting to tell you what to do - I just feel this is important info and once you go ahead with a surgery, you are going to be stuck with it (unless if you decide to go for another afterwards). Getting all the info beforehand is vital!

The sleeve leaves no stomach left. Between 70-80% of the stomach is completely removed. Unless the surgery is done differently in different countries. Getting the right information is very important. Neither the MGB pouch or the RNY pouch are a high pressured valve and so neither causes acid to leak.

I'll beg to differ. I'm getting reflux now I've had my mgb and I've never had reflux before.
Plenty of info online about it.
But by all means - I was only trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'll beg to differ. I'm getting reflux now I've had my mgb and I've never had reflux before.
Plenty of info online about it.
But by all means - I was only trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm sorry you are experiencing that and I hope it can be gotten rid of. There is a risk of bile reflux but my surgeon did a surgery technique to make sure that does not happen.

I know you are trying to help. No worries! [emoji4]

I had no reflux at all after my revision to mgb from the sleeve for the first 11 months and now I'm having some. So there definitely is the chance it can happen after some time.

I have had no acid reflux problems so far. I am still taking one 40 mg Protonix a day until I get a check up with my ENT. She diagnosed me with LPRD (laryngopharyngeal reflux disease-silent reflux) and I won't stop taking that until she tells me I don't have to. But I'm also prepared to take that for the rest of my life if I need to.

I had an MGB (aka OAGBP) on Mon 4/10/17 with Dr. Ramos Kelly in TJ. He's great and says the surgery should resolve my existing GERD. All the research I've done on the OAGBP says the same. I'm very happy I chose this surgeon and this procedure.

My Mexican surgeon (Dr. Kelly) no longer does the RNY; he prefers the OAGBP as it is reversible or revisable. That's not the case with the VSG, which is permanent.

On 2/19/2017 at 12:57 PM, bikerchick519 said:

I was scheduled with Dr. Illan but he had an emergency surgery himself that morning and gave me the option to fly home and come back later or have Dr.  Zavalza do my surgery. I'd already taken the time off work and knew I couldn't come back so I trusted him that Dr. Zavalza would do a good job. 11 months out and so far so good other than a little heart burn or acid reflux lately.

How are things going with your MGB now? How is the aid reflux? R you happy with the MGB compared to the sleeve? Have u reached your goal with no weight gain?

On 2/8/2017 at 5:09 PM, MissKay said:

Hi! So you're 2 years younger than me, so I feel a kinship with you on that, haha. Dr. Illan was my surgeon, and while I did go with the sleeve, one of the other women who was on the same day as me had the MGB done and I've kept track of her progress on the Facebook group page and she's been doing fantastic. Dr. Illan and his entire team are great. You and whoever goes with you will be taken care of the entire time you're there. If something happens while you're there, they'll see to it to get it all taken care of. Now, stateside, most PCP's will have some knowledge of these surgeries. They aren't/won't be experts, but they should still be able to help. I'd suggest reaching out to your PCP ahead of time and let them know what you're planning. They don't need to approve, just be aware and make sure they'll support you post-op. Typically all that's needed post-op wise is blood work to ensure your Vitamin and nutrition levels. If anything else should arise, if they cannot help you, there has to be someone around that could. As well as I know Dr. Illan will still do phone/Skype calls to address anything too.

As for your dad, it's unfortunate he's not supportive. I know most people's first thoughts about going to Mexico is botched surgeries, yadda yadda, but as long as you do your research (which sounds like you have), you'll end up in good hands. It's about you and your health, and he's likely just scared because he doesn't know anything/much about the procedure, the doctor, the hospital, etc. There is a thread in the Mexico forum where Bill Yanez has posted MANY video testimonials from Dr. Illan's patients. It's something that could help ease your mind, and if your dad was ever open to doing so, even his.

Hi I had the MGB 11 months ago I'm trying to fund someone who has it longer. Can u send ur friend a message to add me on Facebook or add me Mary Ruiz McAllen texas. Thabk you