Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nexium, Prilosec.....Causes Kidney Disease!

Honestly it is not worth risking a natural remedy. In the big scheme of things you only take a PPI for a very short time. I took some maybe every other day for like 3 to 4 months. I'm 19 months out and I haven't taken any in over a year.

GERD when you let it get out of control is painful and mimics hunger. Most of the people post-op that are claiming to be starving are suffering from GERD and by not taking a PPI they are just self sabotaging.

If you are really concerned about taking a PPI, then have RNY or no surgery at all. Having your body chopped up isn't exactly a natural solution to obesity.

Latest study re Acid and Sleeve

Moderating the Enthusiasm of Sleeve Gastrectomy: Up to Fifty Percent of Reflux Symptoms After Ten Years in a Consecutive Series of One Hundred Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomies.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) has become a popular one-stage bariatric procedure with a proven efficacy on weight loss. However, the relationship between LSG and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) remains a subject of debate. The objective is to determine the long-term effect of LSG on weight loss and reflux disease.

METHODS:

A retrospective analysis of 100 consecutive patients who underwent an LSG between January 2005 and March 2009 was performed. The effect of LSG on weight evolution and the relationship between preoperative and postoperative GERD symptoms and PPI dependency was analyzed.

RESULTS:

A mean follow-up of 8.48 years (range 6.1-10.3) was achieved. We observed a long-term % excess weight loss (%EWL) of 60%. A significant increase in reflux symptoms and use of PPIs was seen. Seventeen percent suffered from reflux disease preoperatively versus 50% at the end of the postoperative follow-up (RR = 2.5882, 95% CI [1.6161-4.1452], p value = 0.0001). The chance of developing de novo reflux after LSG was 47.8% (32/67). Reflux disease was present in 7 of the 26 patients who underwent a secondary Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). In four of these seven patients, reflux disease disappeared completely after the secondary RYGB (57.1%).

CONCLUSIONS:

A satisfactory long-term effect on weight loss was achieved. However, a significant increase in GERD and PPI dependency after LSG was noted. New onset GERD was seen in more than 40% of the study population. Conversion to RYGB is a good option in patients with refractory reflux disease after LSG

Latest study re Acid and Sleeve

Moderating the Enthusiasm of Sleeve Gastrectomy: Up to Fifty Percent of Reflux Symptoms After Ten Years in a Consecutive Series of One Hundred Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomies.

Mandeville Y1, Van Looveren R2, Vancoillie PJ2, Verbeke X2, Vandendriessche K2, Vuylsteke P2, Pattyn P2, Smet B2.

Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) has become a popular one-stage bariatric procedure with a proven efficacy on weight loss. However, the relationship between LSG and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) remains a subject of debate. The objective is to determine the long-term effect of LSG on weight loss and reflux disease.

METHODS:

A retrospective analysis of 100 consecutive patients who underwent an LSG between January 2005 and March 2009 was performed. The effect of LSG on weight evolution and the relationship between preoperative and postoperative GERD symptoms and PPI dependency was analyzed.

RESULTS:

A mean follow-up of 8.48 years (range 6.1-10.3) was achieved. We observed a long-term % excess weight loss (%EWL) of 60%. A significant increase in reflux symptoms and use of PPIs was seen. Seventeen percent suffered from reflux disease preoperatively versus 50% at the end of the postoperative follow-up (RR = 2.5882, 95% CI [1.6161-4.1452], p value = 0.0001). The chance of developing de novo reflux after LSG was 47.8% (32/67). Reflux disease was present in 7 of the 26 patients who underwent a secondary Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). In four of these seven patients, reflux disease disappeared completely after the secondary RYGB (57.1%).

CONCLUSIONS:

A satisfactory long-term effect on weight loss was achieved. However, a significant increase in GERD and PPI dependency after LSG was noted. New onset GERD was seen in more than 40% of the study population. Conversion to RYGB is a good option in patients with refractory reflux disease after LSG

That's only 100 people which is such a small amount compared to the number of people getting the sleeve this study is already invalid, and not to mention most those people dropped off.
I commend you for sharing your hardships because I'm sure there are others that feel how you do, but to go as far as posting on MULTIPLE posts trying to convince people to not do it doesn't help. It's one thing to let people know your story, but let them make their own decision and decide what they can put up with.

2 hours ago, janedoe92 said:

That's only 100 people which is such a small amount compared to the number of people getting the sleeve this study is already invalid, and not to mention most those people dropped off.
I commend you for sharing your hardships because I'm sure there are others that feel how you do, but to go as far as posting on MULTIPLE posts trying to convince people to not do it doesn't help. It's one thing to let people know your story, but let them make their own decision and decide what they can put up with.

The other thing that no one talks about is most people can avoid GERD by not over eating. My first year most of my GERD happened after eating out when I didn't weigh and portion my food like I do at home.

Then when you count in all the people that have a lot a regain post-op. I need more details in a study.

Since we are sharing stories, I had HORRIBLE acid reflux before surgery. I had GERD, a hiatal hernia, and a nasty ulcer (luckily it was on the stomach side that was removed). My doctor approved me for Sleeve surgery because he thought it wouldn't be an issue after he repaired my hernia and removed the ulcer, he was right!

I have taken Prilosec for 10 years and still no kidney disease.
AND my acid reflux is completely gone since getting my sleeve 7 weeks ago. I think I've taken maybe 4 pills since surgery.

Even if I had to take it every day for the rest of my life (like I do my for my thyroid) I would because I know sacrifices have to be made. I no longer take high blood pressure meds! After 6 weeks and 40lbs gone I no longer need them! I've been on those since I was 20!! I have lived with acid reflux for years, and while at times it sucked bad, I just took the meds and it was fine. I would make this decision again in a heartbeat [emoji173].

15 hours ago, janedoe92 said:

LOL, It does not invalidate the study though. People have to understand that many times, studies show associations and not causations. Causation is much harder to prove. So while it says that more people are likely to develop GERD after Sleeve gastrectomy, it doesn't mean that the Sleeve caused the gerd. Remember that the study subjects are already obese. Obesity is already a predisposing factor to GERD. Several theories are responsible for this. Sometime have said it is because of hiatal hernias (that may arise from belly fat forcing the stomach up the diaphragm. Another theory is that GERD arises a result of increases oestrogen activity in obese individuals (fat contains aromatase, which basically converts testosterone to oestrogen). Oestrogen activity was associated with GERD (in some studies). Anyway, point is that Obese people, especially if Female and White (another association) are already staring at GERD. The Bypass eliminates the possibility of GERD because the whole stomach is gone. But that is a permanent cure for a disease that ranges widely. GERD may be GERD, but not all individuals suffer it with the same severity/duration. Some sleeve patients will even reflux because they are overeating. They won't admit to their doctors that they are overindulging. With that bit of information hidden, the doctor will pass off the symptoms as GERD.

To my understanding, Everyone who has weight loss surgery will be put on PPI before & after surgery.

However, they are causing severe damage to our kidneys!

With knowing this information, Will you still take them?

Me: I'm very concerned about taking PPI's....I have refused them so far but, I get my surgery date tomorrow and I know my surgeon will prescribe them to me.....not sure what do ???

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon has yet to prescribe any.....but due to symptoms, I ended up grabbing me some over-the-counter generic ppi's (zantac) and i heard not only kidney but also nuro issues they cause....but the heartburn still has me popping one about 2wice a week.

Im glad im not on script with em bc that allows me to control my dosage, keep my dependence on em to a minimum & do my diet right so that hopefully I wont even need em.

I get heartburn after something too-too spicy or if i eat too much. Im 3 mos. post sleeve & b4 this surgery i was known for my Iron Stomach....never had an issue with HB, but now though.... The be in my chest smoking a stogy after lunch/dinner sometimes.

Also.... A lil 420 does help that heartburn after dinner.< br>
IT helps me stay to 2 or less days a week that i need to take my otc ppi. (wink-cough)

20 hours ago, CStoned said:

My surgeon has yet to prescribe any.....but due to symptoms, I ended up grabbing me some over-the-counter generic ppi's (zantac) and i heard not only kidney but also nuro issues they cause....but the heartburn still has me popping one about 2wice a week.

Im glad im not on script with em bc that allows me to control my dosage, keep my dependence on em to a minimum & do my diet right so that hopefully I wont even need em.

I get heartburn after something too-too spicy or if i eat too much. Im 3 mos. post sleeve & b4 this surgery i was known for my Iron Stomach....never had an issue with HB, but now though.... The emoji83.png be in my chest smoking a stogy after lunch/dinner sometimes.

I had some GERD issues month 3 to 9 and it was just from introducing new foods and learning my tolerances. If I am going to eat something really spicy, like for real spicy not American spicy, I pop an antacid before I eat. I rarely eat spicy food though.

Months 3 to 9 you learn a lot about your sleeve, then at 1 year it kind of doesn't matter anymore. ???

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

On 2/14/2017 at 1:15 PM, CStoned said:

I get heartburn after something too-too spicy or if i eat too much. Im 3 mos. post sleeve & b4 this surgery i was known for my Iron Stomach....never had an issue with HB, but now though.... The emoji83.png be in my chest smoking a stogy after lunch/dinner sometimes.

Zantac is not a PPI.

Excellent topic. My Gerd has been controlled by one a day Omerprazole, but, I discovered that one every other day worked just as well. About a month ago, I started using Famotidine (Pepcid) and also works, however, I need to take one in the morning and one at night. I'd much rather take the Famotidine which is a H2 Blocker -vs- a PPI due to the higher risks of taking PPI's. I am concerned with having to take the Famotidine two times a day. Anyone else take 2 doses of H2 Blockers per day? Safe? This is a question for my doctor, but, I don't see him until May. In the meantime, google shows me many people taking two doses a day. Anyone with feedback would be appreciated.