Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nexium, Prilosec.....Causes Kidney Disease!

For what it's worth I had terrible Gerd prior to the sleeve. I took prilosec and it was somewhat controlled. After surgery I took it for several weeks but not daily. My surgeon said to take it daily, but it worked for me if I took it every 2 or 3 days and I figured why over medicate if it isn't needed. Anywho, not sure if it is the fact that my diet is different or what, but I don't have Gerd or at least heartburn at all anymore. I do find that if I eat a trigger food or dense food before bed that I will sometimes wake up with nausea. I take a tums and go back to bed. No other issues. Hope your symptoms Improve after surgery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Hubby has PKD and he's on PPI Omeperazole twice daily for 8 weeks. Its linked to many issues but solves many more.

Fridge Pickers Wear Bigger Knickers [emoji200]

My surgeon put me on one for first 30 days only. To keep acid production down as the stomach heals, after that he said only if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Agreed..mine too and so far it has been smooth sailing[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I've been taking omeprazole for a few years now and it's a lifesaver. Terrible GERD before, and if I forget to take it for a day or two it comes back. Post surgery same thing. Tried to reduce it to every other day, then every third day but no luck. If your doctor says to take it, I'd listen to him. This is a common drug that certainly isn't going to cause any kidney damage if you take it for a month or two.

I've been on Dexilant 60mg for about eight years with no problems. I went off for about a year and got Barrett's. Scary! I've been taking my pills faithfully now for 3 straight years and am clear of Barrett's.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Unfortunately, this is one of the most common side effects of the sleeve. Ongoing issues with acid reflux, I thought I would be low risk. But struggling with it now two months post op.

Even if you "refuse" to take them you may not have a choice. Acid reflux post op is serious due to changes to your anatomy and your very likely to suffer from it.

Some ppl have it so bad that the only relief is to revise to the Gastric Bypass!

I am tryin very hard to be optimistic and working on transitioning to natural remedies and H2 blockers.

I hope it works, otherwise my options are kidney faliure or esophageal cancer lol.

Unfortunately, this is one of the most common side effects of the sleeve. Ongoing issues with acid reflux, I thought I would be low risk. But struggling with it now two months post op.
Even if you "refuse" to take them you may not have a choice. Acid reflux post op is serious due to changes to your anatomy and your very likely to suffer from it.
Some ppl have it so bad that the only relief is to revise to the Gastric Bypass!
I am tryin very hard to be optimistic and working on transitioning to natural remedies and H2 blockers.
I hope it works, otherwise my options are kidney faliure or esophageal cancer lol.

Anne try having your gallbladder removed

veronica

For what it's worth I had terrible Gerd prior to the sleeve. I took prilosec and it was somewhat controlled. After surgery I took it for several weeks but not daily. My surgeon said to take it daily, but it worked for me if I took it every 2 or 3 days and I figured why over medicate if it isn't needed. Anywho, not sure if it is the fact that my diet is different or what, but I don't have Gerd or at least heartburn at all anymore. I do find that if I eat a trigger food or dense food before bed that I will sometimes wake up with nausea. I take a tums and go back to bed. No other issues. Hope your symptoms Improve after surgery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I have it pre-op too. But it's all triggered by certain foods. I stay away, it doesn't come up. So, I'm learning to stay far away. Another poster's NUT suggested peppermint/ginger oil. I'm a fan of apple cider vinegar too. Natural ways are always good and worth trying. Good to have a bottle of tums too. I'm excited and have faith I won't be dealing with it to the extreme post-op like you. [emoji4] thanks for sharing!!!

I'm hoping to be sleeved sometime in March.

Edited by hopekate

@hopekate I pray that you take this very seriously. I have spoken to several ppl that never had GERD pre op and had it so badly post op post op that they needed a revision. With revision your at a much much higher risk for complications.

Some ppl, their GERD improve immediately postop but in 3 or 6 years it comes back with vegenence!

Think of reversible procedures like the Gastric Ballon and Lapband. You will lose the weight and be in a position to have the Nissan procedure.

A small hatial hernia does not cause the significant issues your facing.

The nurses and surgeon won't live in your body! There's a lot a lot of research that says the sleeve is creates a high pressure system that leads to acid reflux.

I worry that you're getting bad advice. I can't believe your surgeon is suggesting a procedure that could be revised!

Sorry for the rant. I was tested for acid reflux pre op. My surgeon refuses to do this procedure with anyone with acid reflux!

36 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

I have it pre-op too. But it's all triggered by certain foods. I stay away, it doesn't come up. So, I'm learning to stay far away. Another poster's NUT suggested peppermint/ginger oil. I'm a fan of apple cider vinegar too. Natural ways are always good and worth trying. Good to have a bottle of tums too. I'm excited and have faith I won't be dealing with it to the extreme post-op like you. emoji4.png thanks for sharing!!!

Hi there! There are very high chances your acid reflux will get higher post op. It may not be immediately after but could be several months or years down the road.

There's tons of research that confirms the sleeve worsens acid reflux due to anatomical changes nothing to do with food truggers.

Remember that your surgeon won't live in your body. This is your decision.

It[mention=312964]FAT TWO FABULOUS[/mention] there's no connection between acid reflux and your gallbladder!
It's kinda creepy that you're so okay with removing body parts.
Ugh

I don't see how this can be creepy? For some removal of body parts is needed for a healthy life, or better way of living. I for one will have to have my gallbladder taken out sooner or later due to gallstones and find no problem with it because I won't have to suffer from the pain it causes.

As for acid reflux OP I would hope your surgeon explains that to you (mine did in great detail even made me sign a paper noting 90 things that can go wrong but there are more). For me IMO I've had reflux for awhile preop because of a hiatial hernia and there were foods that triggered it. After having surgery (I got DS but the sleeve is part of that) I was put on ppi's because it's common for you to have acid reflux. If I were to experience it long term I'd then turn to natural remedies, but I'm prepared for that. I think mentally you must put yourself in a place of wanting to be healthy with POSSIBLE complications (and the percentage that this happens to is soooo extremely small) or not dealing with that chance and taking the inevitable chance of health problems due to being overweight/obese. I would say it is important to see both pros and cons and get as much info, but ultimately it's up to you, and what you can live with in the end. I wish you the best of luck OP!

3 hours ago, AnneElliot said:

Hi there! There are very high chances your acid reflux will get higher post op. It may not be immediately after but could be several months or years down the road.

There's tons of research that confirms the sleeve worsens acid reflux due to anatomical changes nothing to do with food truggers.

Remember that your surgeon won't live in your body. This is your decision.

I have to take that chance then, because lowering the chance of cancer, diabetes, and everything in between, is greater than acid reflux that I already know how it is, for me. Yes, it is my decision. And yes, the surgeon won't be living in my body. One thing I will be living is by faith that I won't have this as bad or ever after the surgery. You see, I'm a born believer. I live by faith (or try to most times--I'm far from perfect). I have total peace about this WLS with my God that I trust His plans and not mine, nor any surgeons, or even anybody's bad experiences shared on BP. So, although I appreciate the concern, I won't and will not accept any words that will negatively impact the decision for me to move forward.