Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety over surgery procedure.

It's natural to feel nervous but you will be fine... Hope the surgery goes great and your recovery is issue free..

Not long now ! Use this time to plan, plan, plan. Research what you need to do post surgery and the time will fly.

Kate

I am with you. I've never had any type of procedure done and am scared. I just keep telling myself that this is a relatively routine surgery that my surgeon does every single week and that I am no different than any of those other people.

That and I hope they give me a big dose of Valium the day of! Hahahahahaa

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My sister just had hers in December and she also had these same thoughts and now that I'm being sleeved in march she will be my cheerleader. She says that that as well as myself and we still do a lot of research daily. She says that the key is support!

I almost worried myself to death in the days and weeks leading up to my surgery in September. But everything about the surgery was easier than I thought it would be (anesthesia and all). You will worry, that is the human factor, but try to take some comfort in the fact that many people have done it and have had little to no complications.

Good luck!

I had a significant attack of panic and anxiety on the day I got a surgery date. I wasn't so worried about the operation as I've had operations before, but I was completely freaked out that I would either a.) show up for surgery over goal weight (I was about 10 pounds below when it was scheduled), or b.) not be able to commit to the changes I needed to make after the surgery.

My panic led to a couple of days of really wanting to go back to old eating habits, but I had to be mindful of my goals and not fall back into old emotional eating habits. It was a pretty hard couple of days.

I also had a bit of a panic situation the morning of my surgery. Luckily a lifetime of repressing my emotions (not a healthy habit by the way) and not wanting to embarrass myself in front of my friend who was giving me a ride allowed me to go through with it.

That was two months ago, and I haven't regretted it yet. Not to say I haven't had bad days, but I remain confident this was the right decision for me to make.

I've had 7 surgeries in my lifetime, 4 knee surgeries, shoulder, sinus and VSG. The VSG was by far the easiest. I was only on pain meds for about 3 days. The incisions only hurt a little bit, I suggest using a pillow to get up and down, (pressing it lightly against your belly. YOU WILL DO GREAT! GOOD LUCK.

Thank you everyone for all the words of encouragement. My surgeon has been doing bariatric surgery since the 90's he started with vsg since it came out I think he said 04 he does it every week & even sleeved the RN at the hospital who did my pat's but my anxiety gets the best of me. I will continue to read the encouraging words leading up to day of surgery thank you

@ivfavy omg girl my surgery is March 1st and im freaking out. Being asleep and not having control of my thoughts and body but i have to trust that everything will be fine and trust the surgeon and the team and personally i trust in God best of luck to you

@ivfavy omg girl my surgery is March 1st and im freaking out. Being asleep and not having control of my thoughts and body but i have to trust that everything will be fine and trust the surgeon and the team and personally i trust in God best of luck to you

I do too I actually asked a few people to personally pray for me that day

I went back and forth between being excited and being anxious. The night before, I was literally giving my husband instructions on what to do if I died! 3 weeks later,and here I am 10lbs lighter, and a total of 8.5 inches lost! I have actually lost 25lbs total since starting my pre-op diet, but only 10 of that has been post-op. It is definitely an emotional roller coaster. You can push through it! When they are prepping you for the surgery, if you are really anxious, I have been told that they can give you something to help calm you down.

Yes they can help you out with anti anxiety meds pre-surgery while you are waiting to go to the OR.

I had a complete meltdown in pre-op and held up the entire day's OR schedule for almost 2 hours. What got me through it was calling my very good friend who had the same surgery a year prior and she talked to me right up till I was about to get wheeled into the OR. It really helped.

Maybe you could find someone to do that for you :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

It was the exact same way I had my surgery 2 months ago and I was scared to death about it beforehand as somebody who's had many many many surgeries overheard lifetime this was by far the easiest surgery for me have no fear rabbit the doctors do this everyday all day don't even worry just take it one day at a time you'll be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I'm having my surgery April 4th. I'm super nervous about it. I think it's natural to have fears and anxiety but I think ok I'm doing this for a reason so God will be with you and he will be with me. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App