Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on January 11 and am still struggling to get both food and Water in. It's like I can only get one or the other, both is next to impossible. I can eat almost anything now, but only a couple bites. I'm always thirsty but not drinking for an hour around mealtimes makes it hard. I was so thirsty this morning and I look at my water and my egg and have to decide....food or water. Eating so little at my meals makes it so I'm eating six meals or so, and still barely making my Protein requirements. And let's not talk about the size of my Vitamins and the struggle to keep them down! My new tiny stomach is angry with me all the time. Is the no water rule for 30 minutes before and after permanent? I hope this gets easier!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is my own opinion and I am not a medically qualified person, please remember that

Fluids go straight through the stomach and so I have never waited 30-60 minutes after having fluids to eat. I wait 5-10 minutes max and then eat but always wait a minimum of an hour after eating to have any more fluids. You will have a lot of differing views from here and you should go by what your team tell you to do. Thats just what I did and it has always worked well for me.

Kate

Also remember that Protein drinks are classed as Fluid ( I always buy the powder Protein and mix with Water, not milk) and you can drink around them without a time restriction.

Hope this helps !

Kate

I just read your post and it sounds exactly the way I'm feeling. I was sleeved on Jan 10th. I'm not getting in the Protein or liquid requirements at all. It's taking a toll on my body. I stopped taking the Multivitamin (per dr) because it immediately comes up. All the Proteins I've tried are gross or clumpy. I would love to chug a bottle of cold Water but I know I can't.

Have y'all tried Isopure? It is 20 ounces of liquid with 40 grams of Protein. I have the grape flavor and it is OK. No Protein Drink is ever going to be a taste sensation, but I think it is important to find one you can tolerate. I also like the Labrada Lean Body in chocolate or Cookies and cream. Caramel is OK, too, but a little sweet for me. It is 40 grams of Protein with about 4 grams of carbs and 5 grams of Fiber, 280 calories.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery January 9th and can relate!! I do wait 25-30" before and after meals because my dietician said eating/drinking together is how how the stomach becomes stretched but every dietician is different Getting my Protein intake is a struggle!! Boars head turkey has 12 Proteins per 2 oz. and melt cheese on it which is 4-6 more proteins!! I can't find a good Protein shake either!!

Edited by kellieo

I was sleeved on the 11th and try to minimize my drinking while eating or around eating but I can't do it. I am not meeting my Protein or Water requirements either so if my body wants a drink I do it. Probably not the best way to go about it but it seems to still be working for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Just to clarify, the pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach stays open for liquids to pass through and so as long as there is no food blocking that passage, it runs right through. food in your stomach gets digested, which turns it into liquids which signals the pyloric valve to open and let things pass through. If you drink something and there is food in your stomach, the pyloric valve could sense that liquid and allow the food to pass through earlier than it would have otherwise.

So in short, drinking Water before eating is NOT going to stretch your sleeve, nor is it going to take any space up in your stomach, it just goes straight through. Drinking fluids with a meal or too early after a meal, should be avoided if you want to feel satisfied for any amount of time. If you do, Its not going to kill you, stretch the sleeve but its one of the things I feel make people sucessful with WLS. Just my 2 cents and each to their own. :D

Kate

I am two years post-op and STILL cannot drink for at least an hour after my meal.

The only way I can get all of my Water in is to drink prior to meals.

I got into the habit early on of having a glass of Water every time I started feeling 'hungry'.

This works well because sometimes it's just head hunger and having that hydration satisfied me.

Sent from my VS500 using the BariatricPal App

Just to clarify, the pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach stays open for liquids to pass through and so as long as there is no food blocking that passage, it runs right through. food in your stomach gets digested, which turns it into liquids which signals the pyloric valve to open and let things pass through. If you drink something and there is food in your stomach, the pyloric valve could sense that liquid and allow the food to pass through earlier than it would have otherwise.

So in short, drinking Water before eating is NOT going to stretch your sleeve, nor is it going to take any space up in your stomach, it just goes straight through. Drinking fluids with a meal or too early after a meal, should be avoided if you want to feel satisfied for any amount of time. If you do, Its not going to kill you, stretch the sleeve but its one of the things I feel make people sucessful with WLS. Just my 2 cents and each to their own. :D

Kate