Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does appetite come back?

I'm a little over a week post-op (sleeve) and I'm finding that in general I'm not that hungry. Yay, right? This is one of the changes I was really hoping for, that with the removal of stomach tissue and the ghrelin it produces that ever present voice of hunger would quiet down. So now that I'm experiencing it I'm wondering if it will last. So those of you who are several months or more out, did your appetite comeback? When? And by how much?

Like you, I spent the first several months with no interest in food whatsoever. I tracked and measured everything and treated my protein/fluid/carb/calorie requirements like a prescription. Even though I wasn't hungry, I forced myself to eat/drink to stay nourished. I was thinking how easy this was going to be and how on earth could anyone regain after WLS when you're never hungry?!

But I had my full appetite back before the first year was up. Of course I couldn't eat huge portions like I used to, but I wanted to. I was glad I was measuring and tracking, because instead of struggling to meet goals, the habit was now helping me to not exceed them.

What you are experiencing now is much different from what you will feel like in six months and very very different from what you will feel 2-3+ years out. I only wish it was as easy as those first couple months. Best of luck as you move forward and take advantage of this honeymoon period to establish new habits that will carry you through a lifetime of success.

Hi! Congrats on the "not being hungry".....I'm a little over 8 months post op and I'm like you. I had no hunger at all for about the first 5 months.... I have to say that once in a while now I do feel a little hungry but, I feel like it's only when I should be and I'm easily satisfied by my very small portions.......I've stuck to a low carb diet throughout my weight loss phase and that in and of itself keeps you from being hungry, so I think it's a little of both. Now that I've met my goal weight and moved into maintenance I'm trying to add in just a few more carbs and so far it's working for me......I can tell a difference on days where I may eat too many carbs I feel hungrier on those days......at this point it's a balancing game. :-)

From what I understand the hunger may come back at around a year, but I really think for me it has a lot to do with the combination of surgery and low carb........What my surgeon kept drilling into my head was to make sure I took full advantage of this "honeymoon" time so that's what I did. I met my goal in 7 months!

Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Take Care,

Kathy

Yeah, I'm only 3 weeks out, but enjoying this honeymoon. I'm also following low-carb, but the future really scares me. I've done low-carb before and always gained the weight back. I'm being very diligent in eating very few carbs even in my liquid/puree stages. The funny thing is there are times when I "feel" hungry now. I can only consume a small amount, but it scares me because I so want to be successful and not be one that goes through all this only to regain all the weight :wacko: I've heard it is "head" hunger and not really a result of the body needing food.

Yeah, I'm only 3 weeks out, but enjoying this honeymoon. I'm also following low-carb, but the future really scares me. I've done low-carb before and always gained the weight back. I'm being very diligent in eating very few carbs even in my liquid/puree stages. The funny thing is there are times when I "feel" hungry now. I can only consume a small amount, but it scares me because I so want to be successful and not be one that goes through all this only to regain all the weight :wacko: I've heard it is "head" hunger and not really a result of the body needing food.

You'll do great! And do like @@Dairymary suggested and use this time to build those great habits......This is the perfect time to do that. I think all of us worry about being one of the ones that is not successful, but guess who is in control of that!!! So work on those great habits of measuring and tracking everything you eat and drink, and you'll always have that as a tool moving forward.

Good luck to you.

Take Care,

Kathy

Edited by kmorri

I have days when I have an appitite and days when I don't (even at 18 months out) and have to make sure I plan to eat.

The good thing is, even though I have an appitite at times, I am satisfied with much smaller amounts (3oz fish/meat and small amount of veg) and I enjoy my food more. I eat clean and I am very mindful as to what I am eating. I stay away from slider foods as I know I probably wouldn't stop lol. I enjoy food now whereas before it was just a means to an end. I am in love with my VSG. :blush:

Congratulations on the surgery and enjoy the honeymoon period. Just remember when its over, thats when the real hard work starts but if I can do it, anyone can!!

Kate

I have days when I have an appitite and days when I don't (even at 18 months out) and have to make sure I plan to eat.

The good thing is, even though I have an appitite at times, I am satisfied with much smaller amounts (3oz fish/meat and small amount of veg) and I enjoy my food more. I eat clean and I am very mindful as to what I am eating. I stay away from slider foods as I know I probably wouldn't stop lol. I enjoy food now whereas before it was just a means to an end. I am in love with my VSG. :blush:

Congratulations on the surgery and enjoy the honeymoon period. Just remember when its over, thats when the real hard work starts but if I can do it, anyone can!!

Kate

Yes this is exactly right!! Since I can only eat a small amount I make darn sure what I do eat is very very good!.....I also stay away from the junk food because I wouldn't stop either.....it's much easier to just stay away then it is to try to break another habit.

Thank you everyone, I am having the sleeve surgery on 2/14 and I am excited and nervous at the same time.

I have started my liquid diet today.

I am not worried about the first couple weeks but more about remembering to eat once back to work.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Can you get hunger pains from not eating?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the BariatricPal App

I'm not sure what you mean by "hunger pains"......You're stomach will make all kinds of strange sounds and rumbles but it's not because you're hungry.....just healing from surgery.

I've never had any "pain" that I associated with hunger, (not even before surgery). Normally what happens to me if I haven't eaten when I should, is I'll get light headed or dizzy....because my blood sugar with drop too low......I've also gotten headaches before from waiting too long to eat. Those are the reasons you need to schedule your meals and make sure to eat when you should.

Good luck!

Kathy

I'm 5 weeks out and I get hungry. Not to the point I'm dying or anything but if I go too long between Protein shakes I get dizzy and tired. I have carb cravings still now that I'm eating real food even though I'm eating less than 15 grams a day. I try to stay in Keto but I've been ready for food since week 2 of surgery. I'm losing weight, so that's the important thing. I get really hungry when working out or walking long distances. Every one is different but this is my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel hunger and I'm almost 2 months out. I get physically sick when my stomach has been empty for too long, so I take that as a sign that I am hungry, not when my stomach gurgles.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App