Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boy, this is a lot of appointments

Hi all. I just had my initial consult with the surgeon last Thursday. I'm super excited to get things going and have made all my appointments before my follow up 3/16. I have to say though, as a working person, this is tough. Most of these professionals don't offer evening hours. I have to see 1) PCP for medical clearance/referral, 2) nutritionist, 3) psychologist, 4) exercise evaluation, 5) endoscopy, and then 6) surgeon follow up. It's a good thing I do admin time two mornings a week so I'll just come in late after the appointments. I did have to tell my boss though since there are just so many days. I told her I was having stomach problems and had to have some tests done. I'm not ready to tell people at work what I'm doing yet and this isn't exactly untrue. I just feel for people who don't have job flexibility and would have to keep taking vacation time. I'm super excited though that I have them all scheduled and I'm moving ahead.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had 22 appointments pre-op. It was ridiculous. Thankfully I was able to work from home those days which made it easier. Seems like a distant memory now though :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yikes ????. I've been reading some people's experience with insurance denials and it's starting to make me nervous. I'd hoped since my BMI qualifies me medically that once I got the appointments done it would be a done deal. Feeling a bit nervous now.

The funny thing to me is that every surgeon does it differently. The basics are usually the same, but I think it's funny how some practices want some things that maybe another doesn't.

What got me more than the appointments leading up to surgery is the "pre-op" appointments. I start a new job on Monday, and surgery is scheduled for 2/22, and I have three appointments, all on different days, for pre-op. So, blood work, a chest x-ray, paperwork. I had to go to HR at my new agency and tell them I needed to come in late to trainings three days and then need another three days for surgery (they already knew surgery was happening, but not this quick. Neither did I LOL). It's crazy. I understand it's to make sure everyone is safe and protected, but come on. How many times do you have to look at my TSH and CBC?!

Should be fine but ask insurance company for requirements in writing now just to be sure! Good luck! Best decision I ever made!

Seraya, it is weird how the drs and insurance companies all do things so differently from one another. The only thing I have done so far is the seminar, consult w/the surgeon and my first visit with the nutritionist. I only see her once a month for six months then do all the others you mentioned. I didn't have to schedule all of those right away.

Yeah, the only thing I didn't do was call the insurance company. I need to do that. I made sure looking online that I have coverage but I'm hoping they don't require 6 months of supervised dieting. I've been dieting for 30 years and this is where I am.

That's how I feel!! I have 90 days to submit everything for approval aka 3 months to do the program. Same appointments- Nutritional counseling , education counseling, family support counseling, physical activity, surgeon meet & greet, 6 support groups. My coordinator said that after May 3 we can submit and my last support group is May 4th. I'm in the same boat, told my boss but made a lot of morning appointments.

Wow, I only have to do 1 support group. I may do more though. A friend from college days is a Bariatric surgeon in another state and he really recommended it as a good way to get a feel for the doctor and program your working with.

Edited by kaypitre5

I Also thought this was a lot of appointments. I started the process on Jan 18th! Met with the surgeon and patient advocate. Patient advocate gave me a check list of things that has to be done by April 18th. My insurance require a 3 month weight management program (weigh in every 30 days for 90 days), 1 psychological visit, 1 nutritional visit. Surgeon requirements are Blood work, Endoscopy & cardiac clearance & to lose 5lbs by the end of the 90 days. I only completed the Egd on the 3rd & labs on 1/20. April 20th will make my 90 days & then they can submit everything to the insurance. Im hoping to get sleeved in May. That'll be a nice mothers day present. But Geeeshh this is a lot when your working a full time 9-5☺

I have been through the process starting last April. It is a lot of appointments but they are for your benefit. You should check with your Bariatric Doctor to see if you also need a mammogram as some Surgeons require it. Some insurance require progressive weight loss anywhere from 6 to 18 months so you really should check with them. It was/is hard but totally worth it. I am having the sleeve as I said on Wednesday and can't wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App