Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pooping question....sorry!

I'm 4 months out and I feel like I rarely go #2. Lately it's been getting worse. I'm talking once a week if not worse. I'll have really bad gas but no BM. Then when I do finally BM it's just mostly liquid and never solid. However I eat solid foods all the time so it's not like all I consume is liquid.

What am I doing wrong? Or what is happening

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's a struggle for me as well. My number 2s look different from my old number 2s. Just take Milk of Magnesia and speak to your doc about his/her preferred laxative

Sent from my LG-H831 using the BariatricPal App

Hmm, that sounds like it could be bad... You should definitely call your doctor!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

There are a couple things that could be going on.

Worst case scenario you have an impaction in your bowels not allowing the stool to get through. When you have an impaction liquid stool can still get through. Is your stomach swollen or painful at all? If it is I would go to the ER or call your on call surgeon.

My doctor had told me since we are eating less we will have less bowel movements but when I told them I was having them once a week they became concerned.

I ended up being dehydrated and a bit impacted. I ended up taking 3 dulcolax pills, drinking Smooth Move tea, and drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate. Even all of that didn't help. In the end I had to give myself a fleet enema. That was what finally got things moving.

Make sure you are drinking enough but I would call your surgeon because impaction is very serious.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It does sound as if it's very severe Constipation which is backed up by watery poop which then exits like diarrhea. You should contact your PCP as soon as possible for advice.

Are you drinking enough Water and eating enough fibre?

Do you take any stool softeners?

Do you take anything for constipation?

Try Calm, they use it those who are about to have a colonoscopy and my nutritionist says it's say for constant use. Nothing but that works for me. I still take benefiber but I am 2.5 months out and only once have I pooped on my own at that was at 2 wks post op. Also, it is not forceful. Just drink plenty of Water and you will feel normal again.

Definitely get checked by your doctor but at 4 years out, my BMs are nothing like they were pre op so some changes in frequency are normal. I tend to go every other day. Staying hydrated as others have mentioned is critical and something I still focus on this far out. I get concerned when I haven't gone in three days and will drink Natural Calm or dieter's tea. Again this is my normal at 4 years out as high Protein diets are somewhat constipating by virtue.