Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who had sleeve surgery in Mexico?

Newbie from US just starting research on gastric sleeve surgery. Mexico seems to be a very popular and affordable destination. Can those of you who had the procedure done there recommend a particular hospital, clinic, doctor, pre surgery, post surgery, etc? All recommendations are greatly appreciated both positive and negative.

Have done a search of this topic? It comes up a lot. I'm having my surgery done in Mexico next week, so I can't comment yet on my experience there.

However, if you check this post, I made a list of surgeons I had considered before choosing mine.

I'm in medical school so I knew what I wanted the OR itself to be like. The Oasis Hospital where Dr Illan operates uses the same medical equipment brand that the USA does --covidien. So i knew the staples on my stomach would be top quality.

The hospital itself is more like a private hospital like it's not "Tijuana General " so the place was very quiet and peaceful and i felt like i got a lot of individual attention.

Everything was clean, everyone spoke english.

Now i'm at the hotel you stay in for 2 days before going home. Its nicer than MANY hotels i've been at in the US.

I was pretty nervous in the airport on my way here, but i've been pleasantly surprised at every turn

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Dr. Ariel Ortiz is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence. His facility, Obesity Control Center, is an International Center of Excellence. My daughter is a gastroenterologist and Dr. Ortiz was personally recommended by her colleagues to do my VSG over 6 years ago when it was still considered experimental in the US.

He is more expensive than a lot of Mexico surgeons, but he only does a few surgeries a day, rather than the assembly line/cost cutting operations some other places run. And as a retired RN I know good medicine vs cut rate. Even 6 years later, they still email me to keep tabs on my progress.

There are a lot of factors to considered. I lucked out and had an easy choice because of my personal contact in the medical field. Good luck with your decision.

I second Dr. Illan via BariatricPal Mx! It was the best decision I could have made. Had surgery 3 weeks ago and the experience was wonderful. I experienced very little pain, the nurses and doctors were awesome and made sure I was comfortable. The hospital is nice, clean and quiet. The service they provide is top notch! I think Dr. Illan is a great surgeon that is kind and professional. Everything was great and the cost was less than I could pay here with insurance!

I went to Dr Quinones at Pompeii Surgical. He did a great job and the staff was great. The surgery Center was kinda small though. The rooms are not very private and you can hear everything going on. No private bathroom in the rooms which was the biggest surprise for me. If you want the place to look like a surgical center in US then this isn't the place for you. It's was very clean though and I can't say enough about the great staff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

To beautyandthesleeve,

Hi there, I was wondering exactly how long you are in Mexico from start to finish? Did you fly into San Diego then drive or fly into mexico? Thank you in advance for your help. I am considering mexico because my insurance does not cover it here in the US.

I'm just a little apprehensive. I feel like this is a selfish thing for me to do, kinda guilty I guess. A little money or a lot of money, I'd be taking away from my family. My final straw was when a general surgeon told me he wouldn't operate on my hernia due to my size, I about died right there. I don't know how to talk to my husband about it, he wants me to just give it all I got to lose weight. He doesn't know how much I actually weigh, he'd probably die if he knew. I'm just at a loss right now.

Thank you.

To beautyandthesleeve,

If you go with Dr. Illan, you need to plan to be away from the family for about 7 days. 2 travel, 2 in hospital, and 2 in hotel before going home. I threw an extra in there for good measure.

Be sure to do your due diligence for what the surgery entails. It is a big deal, not to be undertaken lightly. This message board is a font of information.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

I did a single incision VSG with Dr Garcia and Tijuana Bariatrics. Great experience. They pick you up in San Diego and return you to the airport six days later. One night hotel Marriott, 2 night hospital, 2 nights Marriott. The care is more thorough and attentive than in the US. Healing has been really fast. I am 3 weeks post now and back to normal activities. Learning to eat and drink differently takes time and commitment. Lots of research first.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had gastric sleeve with Dr Fernando Garcia at CER Hospital in Tijuana Mexico. He is THE BEST!! My best friend and I had it done together. My daughters mother-in-law used him & my sister is leaving tomorrow. The hospital was immaculate!! The nursing staff & doctors were awesome!! The whole experience was great! I'm 4 wks out from my surgery and down 20 lbs. (my bmi was 32) My friend & I went back to San Diego 2 days after surgery. We toured all of San Diego, walked for miles!! We have had zero complications!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had Sleeve surgery in mexico on 11/18/16. Dr. Verboone did my surgery at the Obesity Goodbye Clinic. I flew to San Diego and the doctor had someone to pick me up and drove me to Tijuana. I had surgery on a Friday and fly back home to Georgia on Sunday and went back to work on Monday. Have not had any problems 12 weeks today. Sw 280 and today 228.1. I have gone from 28/26 pants to 16/18. 3xl shirts to L/XL.