Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the Lap-Band actually works, fills and refills

I am glad I read your thread Wendell. I have not had my first fill yet and I was discourage. I would gain 3-4 pounds, lose 3-4 pounds. People who knew I had the surgery would ask, "how is it going?" because they could see I am not loosing any weight. I was hoping to go from a size 22 to 18 by the winter holidays. Thanks for the reassurance.

Cyndi

thanks for explaining all about the fills. can i ask you a question.. at any stage in the process did you ever think the band wasn't working.. i have just had my 3rd fill - its early days. but the medics have said i have a 6 mls capacity ,swedish band, and there is no more room in it. so they can't add anymore saline.. they say its now got 10.25mls in it.. i feel a bit tighter when i drink ,but haven't tried a proper meal as yet, as am worried i won't feel restriction and i will be so upset.. i never pb'd .. or anything, i am worried this band has been a waste of time and money

well done on your success

thanks for explaining all about the fills. can i ask you a question.. at any stage in the process did you ever think the band wasn't working.. i have just had my 3rd fill - its early days. but the medics have said i have a 6 mls capacity ,swedish band, and there is no more room in it. so they can't add anymore saline.. they say its now got 10.25mls in it.. i feel a bit tighter when i drink ,but haven't tried a proper meal as yet, as am worried i won't feel restriction and i will be so upset.. i never pb'd .. or anything, i am worried this band has been a waste of time and money

well done on your success

Thank you for the compliment.

Yes, before I obtained effective restriction with fill number 4, which was given 24 weeks after surgery, I thought that my Lap-Band did not work and that the entire thing was a cruel joke at my expense.

I don't know anything about the Swedish Band, but I do know that a Band that would not provide restriction when filled to capacity is exceptionally rare.

Best wishes on your journey.

I just had my first fill this past monday and have experienced 3 pb's so far- not chewing enough!!!!! Very not fun!

but I also don't have a sense of a smaller stomach, in that if I chew well I can still eat a good amount of food- almost as much as before the band. I have 2.5 ccs in a 4cc /10cm inamed band. My weight loss has stalled since I went onto solids.

My doctor told me after surgery that he put 3 cc's in with the surgery. He said that this is something that they are staring to do with the new surgeries when the capacity is 10 cc's and above. Has anyone else had this.

Wonderful info. I will get my first fill on Tues. and started to get a little discouraged. Again because of the wicked wicked scales. Your post lifted my spirits. ;)

scales are a tool for weight loss, but the problem is that most people who are starting out with a Band are too emotionally fragile to deal with the normal ebb and flow of fluctuating weight.

Confidence that the Band actually works for us takes time, and in my opinion, based on the hundreds of posts that I have read over the last 4 years, weighing in the post-op period is not a good idea for most people, because it leads to stress, anger and frustration due to a lack of understanding that even small fluctuations in a person's weight can wipe out what is, in reality, a good month of weight loss for the average Band patient.

When I lose weight even my fingers get skinnier and my ring gets loose. When I gain (I am pre-band) my ring can get so tight it won't budge. Sounds like the fat pad on my stomach works the same way and band fills serve to fill in where the fat used to be. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Isn't there a way to keep this post front and center? I don't want it to get buried. All the newbies need to have easy access to this post.