Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I had known then what I know now about my DS...

1 hour ago, Mannah said:

1 month. i guess it will be better as the time goes by....

I'm sure it will get better with time ?

I switched to costco brand multi (2x a day) Calcium carbinate/v-D3, and their B complex a month ago. I just had my labs done and I have no deficiencies at this time. Traditional DS on 11/7/16, 226 lbs, 3/4/17 174lbs. But I have a modified DS common channel of 9 ft of intestines. My doc didn't want me supplimenting beyond the above, including my fat-sol Vitamins, K, E and A until my labs showed I needed to. My next labs are in June.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:56 AM, ChaosUnlimited said:

I found this board when I was looking for information on the DS surgery, then I saw @jessgnc and @Kaylamh go to the same surgery center I chose! Nice to meet you both, and I hope to some day Celebrate my success here!

I thought I knew what I wanted to do, the gastric sleeve, until I met with Dr Sharp and he explained the DS. Now I'm not sure. Hoping to learn more info from people who have had the surgery already before I make my decision.

Woo! Rex Bariatric represent! :D We should track each other down at one of the support groups! Are you on the FB group yet? I'm still trying to get my invite.

I actually chatted with a post-op DS patient for a while on Tuesday while waiting to get my surgery set up. I'm getting nervous now that it is almost there. She looked fantastic and she was talking about her life and how it has changed for the better and how happy she is she picked this option. It almost felt like she was set up to be there, to quell my nerves. Now that I have a surgery picked out and my packet is off for insurance approval, this is all getting real!!

Best of luck. Until it is done, you really don't understand the pschological burden you have carrying around, deep with, about the "failure" of not being able to succeed because of the regains, the fears of heart attacks, the fear of complications of diabetes, going blind, losing a toe-foot, going on dialysis. I it amazing knowing what a full tummy feels like, to not be experiencing constant hunger, being able to immediately stop all diabetic meds, my A1c is 5.1 after 3 month labs, being able to donate clothes the second they are a quarter inch too big....I can go on and on on how grateful I am. By shear luck, because of researching, I ran across the DS research, knowing all about it before my first meeting, made me my biggest advocate. It is the only surgery that is 97% effect in reversing diabetes. All the others are about 20% less successful. Not all bariatric surgeons do it because you have to a great surgeon. It is not just snip and sew, so ask around. Look up statistics on surgeons. Ask for their complication rates.

Edited by MarkieZ

Jess I am in the same boat as you and would love to know what you decide. I went in excited about the idea of having the sleeve and Dr. Ng suggests I have the DS. I have a friend that is 4 months out and has lost 70 pounds (only 10-20 lbs more to loose). She had previously had a unsuccessful lap band surgery. Watching her has been encouraging. She has lost this weight with out any exercise (Another unrelated issue made it where she can't exercise yet). She did have a significant episode about one week out for surgery with Constipation but was treated in ER and that is the only issue she has experienced. I to would like to hear from others that had the DS surgery.. I need to loose 75 lbs.

2 hours ago, Ketty said:

Jess I am in the same boat as you and would love to know what you decide. I went in excited about the idea of having the sleeve and Dr. Ng suggests I have the DS. I have a friend that is 4 months out and has lost 70 pounds (only 10-20 lbs more to loose). She had previously had a unsuccessful lap band surgery. Watching her has been encouraging. She has lost this weight with out any exercise (Another unrelated issue made it where she can't exercise yet). She did have a significant episode about one week out for surgery with Constipation but was treated in ER and that is the only issue she has experienced. I to would like to hear from others that had the DS surgery.. I need to loose 75 lbs.

I'm doing a modified DS - It's the DS but they leave more intestine for digestion time.

For me, it kind of has to be the DS over the VSG. After working with my endocrinologist for 2+ years, we realized my body is broken. I have PCOS and I'm severely allergic to metformin.

VSG is a super restrictive diet. The DS is re-configuring your entire intestinal tract and changing how your body reacts and digests. Dr Sharp said that you only lose 70-80lbs with a VSG. I feel like if I had a VSG, I'd be successful and push to get to where I wanted. However, my body is broken, so I need to go a more extreme route to make my body cooperate.

If your body cooperates normally and you're committed to a healthy lifestyle, it sounds like you might do well with a VSG. That's definitely something that research, medical professionals and knowledge of your own body would be best to help determine.

It's fantastic that you have a friend who is going through this! I'm trying to make some friends in my support groups. I'm lucky that my friends and husband have been supportive, but I don't think they really appreciate where I'm coming from.

I had a modified DS almost two months ago and I love it. I choose this surgery because of the amount of weight I needed to lose and Liked that I am also able to have the restriction of the sleeve. I've never been able to lose more than 30 lbs and I've lost 33lbs thus far (haven't updated stats) I'm excited about my future with this surgery. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer on my experience thus far.

I find that I never encourage or discourage a person in any one, specific wls. Everyone's situation is quite different with each surgery. I know several people who had the sleeve almost 10 years ago. Some have gained a bit of weight back, while some are continuing to keep it all off. After several years, there remain a few complaints about ocassional GERD and the extra 10 minutes added on to a workout due to overindulgence of a chocolate chip cookie. However, I don't hear many serious complaints overall. . On the other hand, I only know a few DSers. One can't keep up with the eating plan and complains that it's too much food to eat to keep her weight up and eating has now become a huge chore, not to mention her new "bathroom" issues. Another friend, is experiencing malabsorption issues despite taking all the required daily Vitamins. Another one has gained back quite a bit of weight and is just unhappy with the results of her surgery, because she was told by her surgeon that she wouldn't have to worry about weight regain with the DS.

These comparisons are not to persuade or dissuade either way, just an example of how things work differently for each person. While the DS may be the best surgery for YOU, it may not be for the next person. My surgeon actually encourages his patients to try the sleeve first (due to its high success rate with his patients) and explains that the DS or "switch" (rerouting of the guts) portion of the surgery can always be added later if necessary or wished.

That being said, I continue to research each surgery in an effort to decide what would be best for ME. I wish I was one of those people who could just decide already! It's becoming quite frustrating, because as you bring out, statistics DO show that regain with the DS is less likely, and we would all LOVE to lessen our chances at regain. However, the malabsorption issues REALLY frighten me, because I have other health issues which would only worsen with malabsorption.

Hopefully, I will make a decision soon, because I am struggling with trying to maintain my current weight (I've given up on losing, as that has become impossible due to my different metabolism/hormonal disorders). I had the stupid crap band in 2005, which developed a leak in 2009 and is now broken inside of me in 3 different places (YUCK). I will be revised one of these days lol

Wow, sounds fustrating. If all of those factors above are contributing to your decision, I personally would the sleeve with a DS later if needed. The sleevll

3 hours ago, SashaF said:

Wow, sounds fustrating. If all of those factors above are contributing to your decision, I personally would the sleeve with a DS later if needed. The sleevll

That's what I've been leaning towards. Just weird, when I started having problems with my band, I immediately wanted and was ready to have it removed and be revised to a different surgery. It took years for them to help me out and now I am super nervous about and scared to have revision surgery. I am not even interested in having the surgery, but I do realize I need it to help with weightloss. I can't do it on my own, especially with my metabolic and hormonal abnormaloties. I need to be brave. Every time I think about surgery, I get major anxiety. Been this way for about 7 or 8 years now. Hoping I get over the fear an axiety soon!

8 hours ago, KattattaK said:

That's what I've been leaning towards. Just weird, when I started having problems with my band, I immediately wanted and was ready to have it removed and be revised to a different surgery. It took years for them to help me out and now I am super nervous about and scared to have revision surgery. I am not even interested in having the surgery, but I do realize I need it to help with weightloss. I can't do it on my own, especially with my metabolic and hormonal abnormaloties. I need to be brave. Every time I think about surgery, I get major anxiety. Been this way for about 7 or 8 years now. Hoping I get over the fear an axiety soon!

I have to wonder, are there any other surgeons or offices close enough that you would go to instead? I began my process anxious and freaking out, wondering if I was doing the right thing. The longer I travel down this road, the more at ease my surgeon and their staff have made me. If it took your place years to finally listen and help you properly, maybe you should find somewhere that puts you more at ease?

1 hour ago, jessgnc said:

I have to wonder, are there any other surgeons or offices close enough that you would go to instead? I began my process anxious and freaking out, wondering if I was doing the right thing. The longer I travel down this road, the more at ease my surgeon and their staff have made me. If it took your place years to finally listen and help you properly, maybe you should find somewhere that puts you more at ease?

@jessgnc thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. I am no longer with the group that gave me the runaround. I am now back with my original surgeon who performed my lapband back in 2005. I've seen him once but he had so much going on that day I promised I would return so we could speak more, but I haven't been back. I'm going to look into seeing a therapist who specializes in working with bariatric patients. Hopefullu, that will help me deal with my fears and concerns and move ahead with this I'm not getting any younger. Or thinner. Hahahaha

I wanted to do the DS but I was too scared. Ended up doing the Bypass instead.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:03 AM, jessgnc said:

Woo! Rex Bariatric represent! :D We should track each other down at one of the support groups! Are you on the FB group yet? I'm still trying to get my invite.

I actually chatted with a post-op DS patient for a while on Tuesday while waiting to get my surgery set up. I'm getting nervous now that it is almost there. She looked fantastic and she was talking about her life and how it has changed for the better and how happy she is she picked this option. It almost felt like she was set up to be there, to quell my nerves. Now that I have a surgery picked out and my packet is off for insurance approval, this is all getting real!!

Wow, how exciting that this is getting closer for you! Do you have a date yet? I hope we do have opportunity to meet at a class or support group! I have not gotten an invitation to the fb group yet, and I've heard from others that it takes a long time even when requested.

I am scheduled for my 3rd nutrition class on Monday 4/10 and as of tomorrow when I get my official sleep study results I am done with all my requirements! Hoping to have them submit to insurance after my nutrition class. I really want to have a date set because it drives me crazy to have it up in the air.

I have decided on the DS. I've researched it extensively and I think this is the best option for me.