Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here come the haters!

I have no intention of telling the vast majority of people, although the people I have told feel really inclined to do so sometimes, for really dumb reasons. For example: for Christmas when I barely ate my dinner (I wasn't even a month post op) a relative noticed and asked what was wrong, I said that I had been picking at the food all day and spoiled my dinner, but my mom looked at me like " ON NO WE HAVE TO TELL" no, I don't.

I also have the truth and a lie out there lol. 2 groups know I've had the surgery, only a handful of people know I've had the sleeve (we're talking parents, sibling, and 1 friend) , but the majority of people (coworkers mostly) who know about it think I got the lap band. Generally in my experience, people are less judgmental if they think your surgery isn't permanent, so it's a nice buffer to why you're losing weight, but they don't have to deal with knowing of how big of a decision you made, because ultimately it's none of their business lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ok, so I haven't had the surgery yet, but do have a story/question that applies.

In college I was in the process of losing about 40lbs. Worked out every day and was careful about what I ate. Ate a meal with an older (40ish) friend, and she commented on how little I was eating/how much exercising. Worried I was becoming anorexic.

My question... when people see a plump person exercising and eating 2 bites, it is ok. They are working hard, "dieting". But what happens when we get to goal weight, and we are still exercising and eating two bites?

Or does our tummies stretch enough that we are eating what appears to be smallish normal meals?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

That's a good Idea about a separate Instagram page @ raymia

I was sleeved on 12/14/16. The only people that know are my husband and 3 kids. I don't live near the rest of my family, but I speak to them often. I've already lost 34 lbs since I last saw them, and will hopefully lose alot more before I see them again. They will be surprised! Even now I have told them that I started seeing a nutritionist and cleaned up my diet, with little to no carbs, no alcohol and no sugar, and that I've been working out. That's all they need to know. When I see them and have meals with them, all I will say is that I eat til I'm full, as long as it's clean.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I heard a lot of well meaning people tell me "don't get too skinny," and many think my goal weight is too low. I appreciate their concern, but I ignore it. The only opinions that count are mine and my doctors'.

Particularly today, in a very obese society, people's idea of a healthy weight are warped. My goal weight still leaves me technically overweight.

And the people who know you will see a dramatic difference and base their opinion on what you used to look like, not on objective facts.

Your opinion and your doctors' opinions are all that matter. The rest is noise.

The only person who knows is my husband. I am almost 2 months out and 26 lbs. down. I have told my coworkers that I'm on low carb and they know that I have been going to the gym during lunch. I have a lunch meeting every other week at work and have become the master of playing with my food and hiding things on my plate. Nobody has questioned me. I have 2 co workers that had WLS one kept it off and the other didn't. I have overheard coworkers gossiping about the one that didn't. Luckily my family is out of state...they are all a size 2 and wouldn't understand. They have seen me yoyo for the last decade so being on a low carb diet when I see them in a few weeks won't be a big deal.

Bottom line is that this isn't liposuction. You don't wake up any thinner.

You are on a high Protein, low calorie diet. That's why you are losing weight.

Personally, I lost half the weight before surgery and half after, and both halves were my very own accomplishment because I stuck to my high Protein, low calorie diet.

Haters can dry up and shrivel for all I care about their opinions.

I have a small circle of people that know about my surgery. I've received both positive and negative feedback for my decision. The thing I hate hearing the most is "you took the easy way out". No, this surgery is HARD. You are changing your life. I work out 4x a week 90 minutes at a time.

I'm so glad I kept the circle I told small. When people ask me how I'm losing weight I just say - eating a little and working out a lot. Lol, it's true!

I have told everyone. Part of it was because I wanted to just smash my ego about this. I knew if I didn't tell people I would be forced to lie and that would put a pall over something I wanted to be wonderful.

I can't imagine having "haters" to deal with. The truth is I don't know anyone else but one person who was obese like me so that might be part of it. I only have one friend who's mildly overweight and she did say that I was soon going to be skinnier than her and we both just kind of laughed and jumped up and down about it. lol!

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I have a small circle of people that know about my surgery. I've received both positive and negative feedback for my decision. The thing I hate hearing the most is "you took the easy way out". No, this surgery is HARD. You are changing your life. I work out 4x a week 90 minutes at a time.

I'm so glad I kept the circle I told small. When people ask me how I'm losing weight I just say - eating a little and working out a lot. Lol, it's true!

If anyone of my "friends" told me I'd taken the easy way out they would be cut out of my life. Not because I'm punishing them but because I don't need people in my life who don't even try to see things from my perspective. Friends don't do that to friends. And they are so ignorant it's mind boggling. Anyone who thinks this is the easy way is uneducated and probably a dick.

My favorite were the people who had known I had struggled with weight my whole life and who saw me yo-yo diet for years, and who when I told them I was having surgery actually said to me, "Have you tried dieting?"

Well, yes, I have, and go f-k yourself.

I was warned about this but now it is so obvious people are hating on me for having success with weight loss. I have a friend who is always trying new diets and asking me to join her. I always politely decline. I have lost about 43 lbs and she looks about the same. I can see her looking me up and down and making comments about me not eating my food. I haven't brought myself to tell very many people about my surgery. I am not sure what is holding me back. My husband, daughter, parents, and best friend know. I plan to eventually let people know but I am just not quite ready yet.......????

I feel like you don't owe an explanation for your weight loss. I would continue to be fabulous and let her hate on the sideline!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5

My favorite were the people who had known I had struggled with weight my whole life and who saw me yo-yo diet for years, and who when I told them I was having surgery actually said to me, "Have you tried dieting?"

Well, yes, I have, and go f-k yourself.

I'd keep it at, "go f-k yourself." haha!

I seriously have the same issue, I've lost 130 pounds total since June 2017, however I was sleeved on 10/10 and since then I've lost 110, some of my heavier friends try to like "compete" with me. I don't get it, I would never put someone down for their weight. Just keep your head held high, your a Warrior!

Edited by vannababyy22