Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already sleeved question

Thankfully, no one has had the gall to say that (at least to my face). But if they did, I would probably go into a laundry list of everything I have to do and monitor daily, and remind them that, surgery or not, losing 160 pounds (and counting) is a remarkable and rare feat. Then I would tell them to bite me and fiercely walk away! :-)

I going to be starting my options class with Kaiser hopefully in the next couple weeks don't worry what other people say you did it for yourself nobody else and if they're not happy that's too bad for them

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thankfully, no one has had the gall to say that (at least to my face). But if they did, I would probably go into a laundry list of everything I have to do and monitor daily, and remind them that, surgery or not, losing 160 pounds (and counting) is a remarkable and rare feat. Then I would tell them to bite me and fiercely walk away! :-)

I haven't heard anyone tell me it's the "easy way out" but I've seen some faces and hesistant replies. I always say this "before you give your opinion, do your homework and educate yourself about it." Usually either they shut up or actually do the homework. It's like politics, I won't talk to someone about politics unless they've educated themselves about it and actually exercise their right to vote. So sleeve and politics, educate yourself. LOL AND...if they truly aren't ignorant about WLS anymore, than most should be supportive, given how hard it truly is/will be.

Thanks for the response.. I'm going to do this for my health and no one else's opinion matters.. people always have an opinion on issues and say what they want ..

Yes they do. For the most part I only told a few people. Obviously if I lose at a decent pace other people will ask what going on. I plan to tell them. However if anyone says "that's the easy way out" I might just have to throat punch them. Right now this had been anything but easy! You are right though it's about what we want to do. When I told my sister she was like "why I don't get it?" My response was "well I'm technically obese with about 80lbs overweight. I have high blood pressure along with osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, back pain, joint pain etc" should I go on? Her response was "Well I think you are fine but if this is what you want to do!" Excatly..my choice. Keep your head up.

~Ashley~

I would tell them that's what I used to think too, before I looked into it, and that sadly there is no such thing as an easy way out. WLS just evens the playing field, so that people with chronic obesity can have a reasonable chance at maintaining weight loss. It doesn't magically make it happen, as the 40% of people who don't maintain it can attest. However, compared to the more than 99% who fail with "traditional" methods alone, I'll take it!

People who talk about "the easy way out" may not even realize that they are equating a disease with a moral failing. Science doesn't bear that out, and you shouldn't buy into it either. If you had hyperthyroidism and needed your thyroid removed, would you feel guilty about taking the easy way out? Or would you try to use will power to even out your hormones?

Chronic obesity is a misunderstood disease that requires lifelong management. But, hell, if there was an easy way, I'd take it in a heartbeat. There is no prize in this life for people who beat their heads against a wall.

VSG 1/20/17 HW: 325 SW:294 CW: 296

Tell people to "MIND THEIR DANG BUSINESS AND STOP HATING"

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

In a book I read recently, the author had the gastric sleeve surgery and when people tell her she took the easy way out she basically asks them do they wash their clothes on a rock or washboard or do they use a washing machine? Washing machine is the "easy way out" and she makes other comparisons like that. I thought that was funny.

I haven't had the surgery yet but nothing I've read or heard in any way, shape, form, or fashion says this is easy by any means. Knowledge is power!

I let them know that I only asked for their support and not their criticism nor opinions on a choice I've made for myself and that will not affect them in the slightest and frankly it's none of their business????

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I use to be one of those people that thought that.. After doing alot of reading about the procedures then jumping through all the hoops(all the testing) from April till my actual surgery date of November 22nd then having to be opened up instead of laproscopic.. Developing an infection 2 weeks after surgery ending up back in the hospital for 4 days and having to learn a whole new way of eating n weighing foods n still having to be strong and not have Sweets and/or starches(my weakness) making sure you get enough Protein.. Enough Water.. Take your Vitamins 5 times a day on top of the antibiotics you have to be on for 5 months because of that infection.. Yeah.. Sooo not the easy way out :-/

Munky