Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op-No bowel movements

Hello everyone,

My gastric sleeve was on Monday. So far each day I feel better than the previous day. I'm doing fine with liquids, Protein, etc. I'm currently on stage 3 diet. I do have a lot of gas but haven't been able to move any bowels since before surgery. Is this happening to anyone else??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, it usually takes several days before you will be able to have a bowel movement after surgery.

I finally went on day 8 after taking Miralax, because I thought 8 days without a BM was long enough.

I might add that I had the feeling that I needed to go on day 8 and I felt constipated. At that point, I was till taking pain meds and they don't help with the Constipation.< /p>

Edited by mylighthouse

I am 3 days post op, and I have not gone yet. I am taking Miralax every day, and still nothing! Lots of gas though, so that is fun!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Me too, it was six days before I went. I did not use any pain meds when I got home, for this reason and I still got painfully constipated. I am now 5 weeks out and still having issues. Not to be gross but stool is getting to hard to pass. Taking senecot as needed, colace and miralax. Slowly getting better(I think). Im peeing alot so I don't feel as though I am dehydrated. I am in the medical profession and I must say most Docs could care less about your Constipation so you are left to deal with it on your own. Other then that, I am doing great!! I have even introduced 1 8 oz cup of coffee per day to help with the BM's. New stomach handles that just fine.

Good luck to you in figuring out something that works for you.

Drink miralax like the other posts have mentioned...the LAST thing you want to do is get plugged up. With the Iron that you're taking and the pain meds, it will be hard to go #2.

I actually had to go to the ER once because of impacted bowel and let me tell you...that was the WORST experience ever! I have never been in so much pain. it was literally like having a baby. get plenty of liquids and that will help too. I now take a Fiber pill a few days a week to stay regular.

Good luck!

Linda

www.fatontheinsideblog.wordpress.com

Miralax!!! (as suggested)

Wow. I hope I don't have this issue, my doctor won't release patients to go home after surgery unless they can pass gas, urinate, and have a BM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Miralax is what my doctor suggested. 9 hours ago I had posted in this thread that I had not gone yet, and finally, just now, I finally did! YAY! Sweet relief!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Is miralax the only thing we can take ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor allowed me to take Miralax and Milk of Magnesia. I remember one day the Miralax didn't help and I had to add the MOM to it. It won't hurt anything.

If you get desperate, there is an OTC suppository you can use safely.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App