Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gaining after sleeve?

I am pre op and trying to get my arms around hearing about gaining weight after surgery. I have heard and read about people getting back up to their starting weight. I am so confused on how this happens- other than people pushing their food limits wayyy beyond what they should be. If you eat "incorrectly" on Occasion or eat normal foods, just in smaller portion will this weight gain occur?

What have people time after surgery and weight gains looked like? Also what do you attribute it to?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have gained weight and am in week 4. I don't get it. Besides Orange juice (around 11-20 oz some days), the only thing I digest is straight from my NUT book. Ground turkey, sour cream, and cheese has been my meals the last week. It takes all day to eat 3 oz of all of those things combined, 2 oz is turkey btw. I'm not eating sweets or anything else that is high in sugars. I'm at a complete loss!

That orange juice have to much suger in it supposed to be drinking Crystal light or suger free drinks.try suger free popsicle you will see the weight coming off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I've been cutting back. It was just to get fluids in until I could increase Water intake.

It's fairly easy to gain, you can always eat slider foods that don't really get you full but just taste so darn good. It really hard if you are addicted to sweets...just about everything will fit in your stomach without you getting too full

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using the BariatricPal App

Surgery is a tool not a guarantee if people go back to eating the way they were before.. Fast food.. Useless carbs/calories .. Sugary drinks etc etc they can definitely gain the weight back.. Thats why we have to change our minds, the way we look at food.. For this to work over the long haul.. food is fuel not a reward or for depression or whatever

Munky

I have gained weight and am in week 4. I don't get it. Besides Orange juice (around 11-20 oz some days), the only thing I digest is straight from my NUT book. Ground turkey, sour cream, and cheese has been my meals the last week. It takes all day to eat 3 oz of all of those things combined, 2 oz is turkey btw. I'm not eating sweets or anything else that is high in sugars. I'm at a complete loss!

You're not doing anything wrong. It's impossible to gain real weight early out. Everytime I'd stall, I would gain a couple of pounds. You're probably going into the 3 week stall everyone has. It's just our bodies reacting to starvation mode. No worries.

As far as gaining weight further out and people gaining all their weight back, the surgery doesn't control what you eat or how much through out the day. It is the natural progression to be able to eat more as times goes by. I'm almost 3 years out, and can eat so much more than I could 1-2 years out.

So say I can now eat a small dinner plate of food. If that plate consister of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and dessert, even if I can't eat it all, that kind of eating will add up over time, same as before surgery. I can eat a whole pizza if I really worked at it all day. That's why it's important to use the first year or so to change to a healthy lifestyle in order to keep the weight off.

43% of people who have had surgery gain weight back by returning to old, unhealthy habits.

People who gain weight generally are over eating and not paying attention to the feeling of being full and/or they are drinking their high calories. When u can only take in 3 oz u can't really gain unless it's in liquid (drinking form) or you ignore your "full" feeling..

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Pay very close attention to what and how you ate preop that led you to become obese. Not just the volume, but how often, what you ate and most importantly WHY you ate that way. Were you depressed? Happy? Bored? Stressed?

Now do the same thing during the honeymoon period during which you are losing weight and most likely following all the "rules". Again, what, how much, when, and why you are eating. How are you coping with stress and emotions that don't involve food? 2-3 years from now (actually, for the rest of your life) you need to remain mindful of your eating habits. If you find yourself going back to many of your preop habits, you will likely find yourself regaining.

After 6 years of group support meetings and now online forums, I See most regain stories coming from emotion based self sabotage.....stress, grief and boredom are big ones. Someone dies, you get divorced, you lose your job, your family is unsupportive, pressure from friends, your kids get sick, you are injured, etc. Now you turn to food for comfort because that's all you know how to do. Your sleeve is worthless when it comes to grazing, slider foods, snacking, etc. In the end it's the lifestyle changes and choices you make that dictate long term success, not your surgery or size of your sleeve. I always say, my surgeon helped me lose the weight, but my therapist helped me keep it off.

Good luck.

Thank you to everyone for thier response. I am not a big snacker and my issue is when I eat I like to eat a big portion of not so healthy things, though over all I eat a variety of things and like everything from sushi to seafood to salads and cake, I'm just a foodie and can't get enough! And it takes a big portion to fill me. But I am hoping with the feeling of full the sleeve provides i will lose weight and feel satisfied- eating healthier and getting my protien but I still want to be able to try and eat different thing.

And thank you Greensleevie, I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and haven't lost for over a week, not eating much and what I am is sensible. Good to know that this is quite common

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App