Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux - GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease

Pertaining to Gastric Reflux...from the gastrologist's directions sheet (used with permission):

MODIFICATION OF LIFE STYLE RECOMMENDATIONS:

*WATCH DIET

--Avoid provoking foods (see list below)

--No eating for 2 - 3 hours before going to bed

--Eat smaller meals

*EXERCISE

--Avoid vigorous activity for 1 - 2 hours after meals

--Bend at knees and not waist

*ELEVATE HEAD OF BED 4 INCHES -- BY USING 4x4 BOARD OR

4" BRICK UNDER LEGS OF BED

*AVOID WEARING TIGHT FITTING CLOTHING

*STOP SMOKING AND DRINKING ALCOHOLIC beverages

*REDUCE WEIGHT

GERD: PROVOKING FACTORS:

*FOODS

--Mints --Tea

--Chocolates --coffee

--Tomato --Fatty or Fried Foods

--Black Pepper

*ALCOHOL, CIGARETTES, coffee (INCLUDING DECAFFEINATED)

*LYING DOWN WITHIN 3 - HOURS AFTER A MEAL

*DRUGS

--Nitrates --Calcium-channel blockers

--Anticholinergics --Theophylline

--Oral B2-agonists --NSAIDs

--Antispasmodics --Phenothiazines

--Tricyclics --Neuroleptics

--Narcotics

Thank You for Listing this Newhope!! I have a big problem with gerd & had zero idea that the tea I drink at nite had anything to do with it. Not to mention the pepper. thank you very much!

What exactly IS Reflux - Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease???

What is going on with the body to cause this?

Hi Paula,

I do not know the science of what goes on but I can tell you what I go through. Mainly it starts at nite but can be sometimes throughout the day. Alot of belching & I mean constantly in a row for minutes at a time. Very embarassing. At nite its what I call "little baby throw ups". Like a moment ago I got up from a seated postion & threw up my tea(a bit). Gross I know-sorry. When I sleep its much more belching & gas, sometimes "baby throws" until my body has relieved all of it. A few hours later it can continue but only one or two more times until morning again. You just feel like your always full of acid or air. I've actually gotten used to it over the past years. I refuse to start w/all the antacids & things. Mine isn't as painfull as it used to be ( my gut was in bad pain for several mnths) & now is more of a nuisance. I plan on the band relieving all my symptoms very soon. Hope that helps.

Although it has been said that the band can help patients with GERD

then band can also cause GERD if you are filled too tight.

Ill' succeed, I do not wantto burst your bubble..but if you feel as though you are filled with acid and air pre band..be prepared, I have never had this much air and acid in my system then I have since being banded. Most of us here have more air then pre band. I live on Gas X and Maloxx . I do not have GERD though which Iam thankful for just lots of air and rumbly tummy. I hope for you are different, maybe it iwill have the opposite affect on you :(

Boy I sure hope so. I was just going off those reports from Women's Magazine saying 73% were GERD free after the band. Even my own doc, Dr.Hawasli said it would be gone. I have an appt coming up next week & I will let him know what you said La Madam & if I should be medicated prior to the surgery. Thanks for your concern

I have not had heartburn or feel air in my tumm but my problem of late is i have reflux at night.

For instance I can be sleeping and liquid comes up my throat.

Another thing I have noticed is drinking Water all day causes the back of my throat to burn. My band fills fine do not fill to tight or to loose. My next appt is in 2 weeks so will bring it up with the Dr but not sure what is going on. Is it Gerd????

Ive been doing some digging and found this explanation of reflux/GERD. I did NOT realize how important it was to get properly treated for this. Ive been doing my own med's at my own pace. Now that Im scared, Im definately gonna get a MD's opinion and presciption.

What is GERD (acid reflux)?

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GERD, or acid reflux, is a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up, or refluxes) into the esophagus. The liquid can inflame and damage the lining of the esophagus although this occurs in a minority of patients. The regurgitated liquid usually contains acid and pepsin that are produced by the stomach. (Pepsin is an enzyme that begins the digestion of Proteins in the stomach.) The refluxed liquid also may contain bile that has backed-up into the stomach from the duodenum. (The duodenum is the first part of the small intestine that attaches to the stomach.) Acid is believed to be the most injurious component of the refluxed liquid. Pepsin and bile also may injure the esophagus, but their role in the production of esophageal inflammation and damage (esophagitis) is not as clear as the role of acid.

GERD is a chronic condition. Once it begins, it usually is life-long. If there is injury to the lining of the esophagus (esophagitis), this also is a chronic condition. Moreover, after the esophagus has healed with treatment and treatment is stopped, the injury will return in most patients within a few months. Once treatment for GERD is begun, therefore, it usually will need to be continued indefinitely.

Actually, the reflux of the stomach's liquid contents into the esophagus occurs in most normal individuals. In fact, one study found that reflux occurs as frequently in normal individuals as in patients with GERD. In patients with GERD, however, the refluxed liquid contains acid more often, and the acid remains in the esophagus longer.

As is often the case, the body has ways (mechanisms) to protect itself from the harmful effects of reflux and acid. For example, most reflux occurs during the day when individuals are upright. In the upright position, the refluxed liquid is more likely to flow back down into the stomach due to the effect of gravity. In addition, while individuals are awake, they repeatedly swallow, whether or not there is reflux. Each swallow carries any refluxed liquid back into the stomach. Finally, the salivary glands in the mouth produce saliva, which contains bicarbonate. With each swallow, bicarbonate-containing saliva travels down the esophagus. The bicarbonate neutralizes the small amount of acid that remains in the esophagus after gravity and swallowing have removed most of the liquid.

Gravity, swallowing, and saliva are important protective mechanisms for the esophagus, but they are effective only when individuals are in the upright position. At night while sleeping, gravity is not in effect, swallowing stops, and the secretion of saliva is reduced. Therefore, reflux that occurs at night is more likely to result in acid remaining in the esophagus longer and causing greater damage to the esophagus.

http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroesophageal_reflux_disease_gerd/article.htm

Wow, this is very interesting.

I've been having some nighttime reflux recently, which I think is a combination of a tighter fill and also the residual effects of being sick. I'm still pretty congested and as we know that can make our restriction worse.

But I don't think it's acidic material that's being refluxed. There's no pain or irritation, just a sense of there being liquid in the back of my throat. I'm going to ask my doctor whether that's at all possible, or if I'm just hoping. :rolleyes

For what it's worth, IMO many banded people seem to experience this sort of thing from time to time. It seems directly related to the level of restriction. It can be dealt with for a while but once the fill is loosened it goes away completely. To me that's very good news, and I'm going to deal with this until I lose more weight.

I'm going to deal with this until I lose more weight.

AMEN, Alex!

Im with you on that one!

But i am going to get my doc to prescribe me something like Nexium or Prevacid. After reading this article it scared me having it remain untreated.

Here's my message again, under my name this time.

Reflux is the abnormal backflow of stomach acid and juices into the esophagus.

See, this is what I'm wondering. Is the reflux that bandsters experience actually the backflow of stomach acid and juices? Or is it just a backflow of food and drink? If what is flowing back up hasn't had any opportunity to mix with stomach acid, is the backflow going to be as harmful?

I've had one or two experiences with reflux before banding, and I sure as shootin' had pain and irritation. That's not what's happening now.

I'm probably just grasping at straws, but hey, I can hope.

hi guys, I'm back! Sorry it's been so long, I have been without internest for over a week! Also just to update, I got banded on 1/14/05 and have been okay. But over the last 2 days I have major heart burn and gas (not the farting kind:)) but in my stomache. It even makes my throat hurt. Is this GERDS or is this normal right after surgery and does it eventually go away? It's very uncomfortable though I am happy to say I've lost 11 lbs.