Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advancing your diet- on your own

My mother in law died from advancing her diet too soon without her surgeons permission, so No I followed my plan to the T

I'm 3 weeks today. I have followed the plan. Stomach takes 6 weeks to heal so it's really important. Once you get to purée stage it's pretty nice. Although I felt so full I forgot to get all Water in and became dehydrated. Sip sip sip.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is the time of greatest restriction. Eating against your plan will at worst hurt, injure or otherwise damage you. Best case scenario you stretch out your stomach earlier than necessary by eating against plan thereby reducing the effectiveness of the surgery. You're going to be hard pressed to find someone who thinks it's a good idea.

I can't edit the post, but congrats to everyone that followed their diet. I was asking those who did *not* follow the diet what happened.

Follow my

Edited by UnkemptCaptain

I can't edit the post, but congrats to everyone that followed their diet. I was asking those who did *not* follow the diet what happened.

Follow my

But your words here define the real issue. This isn't a diet. It is a prescription given by the doctor that provides your body nourishment at the same time that it gives your body time to heal from surgery. It is dangerous to ask people to comment on violating that prescription.

Making choices (good, not so good, or otherwise) pre-op is one thing; post-op is something completely different (that could be deadly).

Edited by blizair09

Not to be critical, but I will be. FOLLOW THE DOCTORS ORDERS!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I followed my surgeons plan... but it allowed me to have purée as tolerated immediately after surgery. I sure didn't slurp more than a bite at a time. I took it slow and some days didn't feel like having purée anything, but it was nice knowing I was allowed if I wanted to.

I was careful with what I had and did not have any complications.

HW - 283

SW- 238

CW- ?

Most of y'all have like two weeks post opt liquids I have 6 weeks of it yes that what he said 4weeks pre opt been hard but like most say your dr knows what you need to live lol I'm ready to move on it's been like two months with out real food but my mind is clear and I don't want junk food just hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

chicken Lady" data-cite="Chicken Lady" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1484775023">

I followed my surgeons plan... but it allowed me to have purée as tolerated immediately after surgery. I sure didn't slurp more than a bite at a time. I took it slow and some days didn't feel like having purée anything, but it was nice knowing I was allowed if I wanted to.

HW - 283

SW- 238

CW- ?

CW?

Follow my

But your words here define the real issue. This isn't a diet. It is a prescription given by the doctor that provides your body nourishment at the same time that it gives your body time to heal from surgery. It is dangerous to ask people to comment on violating that prescription.

Making choices (good, not so good, or otherwise) pre-op is one thing; post-op is something completely different (that could be deadly).

Okay, so you came in my thread continuing the trend of not answering the question. To me, it is a diet. It's a way of eating for a certain period of time. My surgeon, nurses, everyone calls it that. Not orders. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking people about their experience with not following the diet plan. I know what the risks are. They kind of tell you that before you head in for the surgery. We all know the risks. However, that does not mean everyone follows them.

Plenty of people who have had the surgery, knew the risks of not following the pre-op diet. Did that stop them from cheating? Absolutely not. Even though one of those risks was possibly death or not getting the surgery at all, temptation made itself known, and they still cheated. Now is it dangerous to ask them how their surgery went even though they cheated? Absolutely not. You're simply asking about their experience.

The decisions you make both pre & post op will determine the rate and level of success with the surgery. A decision from both sides of the surgery can also mean death, not just post op. So if you have anything pertaining to the question at hand such as an experience of your own, I'd love to hear! But don't come on here trying to diagnose issues from a simple question.

Follow my

Edited by UnkemptCaptain

chicken Lady" data-cite="Chicken Lady" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1484775023">

HW - 283

SW- 238

CW- ?

I feel like this is something most surgeons should do. I'm doing exceptionally well post surgery and am dying for that approval to the blended stage. Lol. Just as you said "as tolerated". That not only releases some of the pressure off of the patient to be 110% with the liquid diet, but it also allows the surgeon more insight on how they're progressing. The patient is able to try newer foods of different texture in case they can't find something liquid like to keep down. Thank you for sharing that experience!! Fingers crossed I get approved for the blended foods myself next week. Haha!

Follow my

Not to be critical, but I will be. FOLLOW THE DOCTORS ORDERS!

You're not being critical to me at all. I'm following orders as I should. I'm simply asking for experiences of those who did not follow. Thanks.

Follow my

Edited by UnkemptCaptain

Follow my

Okay, so you came in my thread continuing the trend of not answering the question. To me, it is a diet. It's a way of eating for a certain period of time. My surgeon, nurses, everyone calls it that. Not orders. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking people about their experience with not following the diet plan. I know what the risks are. They kind of tell you that before you head in for the surgery. We all know the risks. However, that does not mean everyone follows them.

Plenty of people who have had the surgery, knew the risks of not following the pre-op diet. Did that stop them from cheating? Absolutely not. Even though one of those risks was possibly death or not getting the surgery at all, temptation made itself known, and they still cheated. Now is it dangerous to ask them how their surgery went even though they cheated? Absolutely not. You're simply asking about their experience.

The decisions you make both pre & post op will determine the rate and level of success with the surgery. A decision from both sides of the surgery can also mean death, not just post op. So if you have anything pertaining to the question at hand such as an experience of your own, I'd love to hear! But don't come on here trying to diagnose issues from a simple question.

Follow my

It's a PRESCRIPTION diet. A POST SURGERY diet.

Trying to advance stages too soon after your stomach has been sawed in half and sewn back together is like trying to run on a broken leg.

Why can't people understand this? I can't figure out if it's stupidity or sheer ignorance.

Follow my

Follow my

Trying to advance stages too soon after your stomach has been sawed in half and sewn back together is like trying to run on a broken leg.

Why can't people understand this? I can't figure out if it's stupidity or sheer ignorance.

And now you're getting mad for no reason?! I have not said once that I'm advancing my diet too soon. If you'd read the thread, you'd see where I've said multiple times that I'm looking for experiences for others. Drinking two shakes a day and eating a healthy, surgery friendly meal is not a PRESCRIPTION. It's a DIET. A DIET FOR BEFORE AND AFTER SURGERY. You can probably find your answer to your final question elsewhere because I think we all have the same understanding that it's a diet meant for surgery to induce weight loss and depending on whether or not you're pre or post will determine the rest.

Follow my

Follow my

Follow my

And now you're getting mad for no reason?! I have not said once that I'm advancing my diet too soon. If you'd read the thread, you'd see where I've said multiple times that I'm looking for experiences for others. Drinking two shakes a day and eating a healthy, surgery friendly meal is not a PRESCRIPTION. It's a DIET. A DIET FOR BEFORE AND AFTER SURGERY. You can probably find your answer to your final question elsewhere because I think we all have the same understanding that it's a diet meant for surgery to induce weight loss and depending on whether or not you're pre or post will determine the rest.

Follow my

I'm almost 3 years post op. I'm not on a diet. It's a lifestyle change. That's how I've kept my weight off. It doesn't end when you've lost the weight. That's why it's not a "diet".

Edited by Greensleevie

Follow my

Follow my

Follow my

I'm almost 3 years post op. I'm not on a diet. It's a lifestyle change. That's how I've kept my weight off. It doesn't end when you've lost the weight. That's why it's not a "diet".

Maybe not for you. But to me, the liquid, soft, and puréed are all diets. I don't plan on eating like that for the rest of my life which is why it's not a lifestyle change. Mentally during that time? Sure thing! I'll change my mindset during those stages. But once I start introducing actual food, that's when it's no longer considered a diet for me, but lifestyle change. I am eating full foods for the rest of my life. Wouldn't make much sense to call it a diet at that point.

Follow my