Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DS in Mexico, is Tijuana Bariatrics legitimate?

I just started the process of looking to get DS Surgery in Mexico. I know there are a lot of different organizations that can coordinate this process for you, the one I filled out the Health form for is Tijuana Bariatrics, using Dr. Fernando Garcia at Hospital CER.

I got a response that I have been cleared for surgery. I am an RNY Gastric Bypass member (10 years out) and want to do a revision to the DS (I gained all the weight back in the last 3-4 years).

When I first submitted my form, their response was they wanted to "revise" my gastric bypass because they don't recommend the DS because of gas issues? Has anyone else heard of this? I want the surgery, but only if I can get the DS.

Also, my coordinator Karen seems very quick and anxious to get my deposit (this is self pay because the insurance I have through my work doesnt cover bariatric surgery at all). I am worried about getting scammed?! This all seems too easy. Hoping that someone here can lend some advice?

Also, wondering if anyone has used any of the financing options listed on their website? Citerra Finance, Medicard, Medical financing Solutions..

I guess I got a lot of questions..ha ha :)

Sara

I just got my surgery done Jan. 9 in Tijuana it's not a scam....yes they are very anxious to get your deposit ...but don't let them rush you...I didn't pay my full amount for my surgery until I got there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using the BariatricPal App

Check with Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali. I'm unsure if he does revisions but I know many who had his/her DS with him.

I've also sent you a PM.

Edited by Postop

The 'gas' issues with the DS is bariatric surgeon code for "we don't really do that procedure even though we may list it on the website to get you interested in us." Yes, the DS does have some issues with smelly gas and stool for a while due to the incomplete digestion from the malabsorption - you may have experienced some of the same things early on with your bypass, and for the same reasons. It is something to consider, but not really a reason to avoid the procedure as it is something that is managed and treated. Even those of us with the VSG and no malabsorption can run into some of these problems simply because our diets have changed and out gut flora (all those nice little bacteria that live in out intestines that help digest our food) haven't yet adjusted to the new diet. Probiotics can help with those adjustments.

I would be wary about sending any deposits until you establish that they can do the procedure that you want, which I doubt that they can (or that you really don't want them to try.) The DS is a more technically challenging procedure to perform than the other mainstream bariatric procedures, which is why relatively few practices offer it - it takes resources to develop, and particularly to maintain, the requisite skills. The revision from an RNY to a DS is another step above that in complexity, which is why only a few of the experienced DS surgeons offer it (half a dozen or so.).

For a long time, Dr. Gilberto Ungston Beltran was the only surgeon in Mexico that one would consider for a DS. Dr. Aceves was training with him to offer it in his practice before he died, so I would be wary of others that say they offer it - do they really have the experience to perform it, or will they do something else once they get inside? A distal RNY is sometimes offered as an alternative to the DS by surgeons who don't have DS skills - look carefully into that as to whether it would be a viable alternative (though one needs to ask why it is not routinely done?)

If you haven't run into it yet, a good information resource on the DS is dsfacts.com. It doesn't undate that often, but they do have an incomplete list of DS surgeons and a listing of various support sites and forums (including BP!) to check into, as you are pursuing a fairly rare procedure so you should cast your net widely to find others who have been through it. I know several who have done this revision and are quite pleased with the results, mostly thru Drs. Keshishian or Rabkin in California. My best advice would be to save your pennies and scour whatever financial resources that you have to do it stateside with one of the guys with the demonstrated experience to do what you want done - this is not a straightforward sleeve or bypass job.

Good Luck

I just read on another forum that they went to Mexico and when they were rolled in for surgery, the last patient's stomach was still in o/r!

I just read on another forum that they went to Mexico and when they were rolled in for surgery, the last patient's stomach was still in o/r!

Did they say which surgeon/facility they used? There are many fantastic and reputable surgeons in Mexico performing all varieties of weight loss surgery. There are a few hacks that people are wise to avoid. If you can get more information, please post it here.

I just got my surgery done Jan. 9 in Tijuana it's not a scam....yes they are very anxious to get your deposit ...but don't let them rush you...I didn't pay my full amount for my surgery until I got there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using the BariatricPal App

Which surgeon did you use?

Heya! Was wondering if you had made a decision and used Dr. Garcia. I'm scheduled with him in late July for the DS.

I'm a late responder to the original post but I was sleeved with Dr. Garcia last week and it was a great experience. I was well taken care of.

HW 420
SW 347
CW 334
Sleeved April 10, 2017