Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reset or not to reset

Ok so I'm almost 3 years post surgery and have gained 26 lbs back. Has anyone done the reset? Has it worked? Did it get u back on track? Oops almost forgot, I had the sleeve done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I haven't done the reset but I have heard from others that if you really stick to the basics of Protein first, 64oz Water (at least), no drinks with meals etc etc etc it really does give you back the restriction you may have felt in the very beginning.

To reset or not is really up to you isn't it. What are you going to lose if you follow it... oh hang on. Your gain :D

Best of luck with your decision and make sure you keep posting so we can support you.

Kate

I have done it, and it does work pretty good. I am almost 3 years post sleeve too. HOWEVER...

The amount of food that I'm used to eating NOW, versus the amount that you're allowed in the reset, is staggeringly different. I don't eat HUGE amounts of food, but a reset is essentially taking you back to immediately post op when you had a huge amount of inflammation that caused the best restriction! Back then i was eating 1/4 cup at a time and it took 3-4 hours before I ate again. Now I eat every few hours but i have been heavy on the carbs for the past 8-9 months.

That said, another poster on here suggested to me that I go ultra clean, ultra low carb, high Protein for 5-7 days for the same 'reset' effect. I have done that too. Also, Dr. Alvarez from Endobariatric (NOT my doctor, but I watch his videos) has a youtube video that talks about a 'reset' far out and he says that there's just no way that 2-3 years post op we can get the same satisfaction from some yogurt or broth as we had immediately post op. And he is so right.

Of the two, I absolutely prefer the latter plan. HANDS DOWN!!! Love the fact that i'm eating actual food, and i'm feeling really full when I eat it. I am actually on one of those paths right now, just trying to get my eating under control and detox from soda and carbs. I'm generally doing Protein and veg, and trying to stay <50g carbs a day. After I get some control back I plan to go Keto (probably in about 10-14 days from now).

Good luck with whatever you decide, any path to cleaning up your diet is a good one!

Here is a site that talks about the 5 day meat test. Initially, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek in that the folks behind it do not believe in a reset (5 day pouch test) type mentality. Instead, high Protein (dense) and very low carb for a few days. I am not that extreme personally. I did have a period of weight gain (went 10 or so over goal) and currently 15 under goal. I am not an ultra low carb advocate, but Protein and green leafy veggies is my mantra. Some fruit, but only what is low on the glycemic index. Good luck-

Edited by happyteacher

Hi, I had the sleeve 6/23/2015, and I've been stuck at 234-240 for almost 6 months, have not been to onederland yet, I know exactly why and I started to reset today and really feeling great that I was actually able to get all my Water in and my 4 Protein shakes, I'm determined to make this tool work for me, I'm have some marriage trouble (divorce on the horizon)plus financial problems and 3 innocent children who need their mom to be sane and healthy, mentally and physically, so all of these factors had me stuck but again I refuse to focus on the negative and what I can't change and focus on what I can change, today was my first day doing the reset, this is the 48 hr reset, if i see a significant change in my stall I might continue for the rest of the week, hell I might continue for the rest of the week any way, I feel like I'm fasting, so I might just make it an official fast ????, I hope this helps you make a decision

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by drknluvli

"Reset or not to reset?"

That is the question. :)

I personally did not try it, but was thinking about it too after gaining some weight back.

People have posted the success of doing it to get them back on track.

I need to make sure I get back to the basics and need to journal for a while as a visual accountability (record my daily water/liquid, food/quantity/protein/time/why, exercise), eat slower, chew each small bite more, etc. first and get away from old bad habits that are creeping back in.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I just recently did the reset and OMG!! Does it work!!! Not only do I have all my restriction back.. I've lost 14lbs and I'm not hungry anymore! I drink my shakes and have a very small meal and I'm good. It's been amazing for me! It won't hurt to try!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App