Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too few calories=stall?

I heard that your body needs at least 800 calories or it goes into "starvation mode" where you'll get a stall.

Your team will give you a plan - follow it. I'm five months out and down 72 pounds. I have about 50 to go. In the first 4-6 weeks, your main goals are to get your Protein and fluids in. Once you are on "normal" food, then you have to start playing the calories/protein game. I try to get 60-90 grams of Protein a day and stay under 900 calories (up from 800 last month when I hit a stall.) The number of calories is affected by alot of things - how active you are, your starting weight, etc. You will have a special session with your nutrition team prior to surgery to lay out your pre-surgery and post-surgery eating plan. Do what you're team says and you'll be fine.

I think so. At 3 weeks I stopped losing weight completely I was probably about 400 calories a day. As I healed and could eat more I went up to 800 calories a day and started working out. Now eat anywhere between 800 and 1,200 and I still lose.

Starvation mode is a myth.

Our bodies resist change and strive for homeostasis.

Do the best you can to get your Protein, nutrients, and fluids in.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Im nearly 4 months out 32kgs down and aim for at least 1000-1200 calories a day but still have the odd day where I'm around 800. I actually lose more when I eat more but its hard I really have to force myself to eat every 3 hours or so.

Absolutely right!!!.. we have been told about the starvation mode way to often. And unfortunately many believe it still.

I'd say get the fats n Protein up and forget the bloody calories lol

Edited by erica_ozzy73

I've read that the three week stall has to do with glycogen, and to just focus on increasing Protein and Water

Thanks, this post is very helpful.

I'll have to ask my surgeon about this. Because I'm fairly certain starvation mode is not a myth.

This subject was talked about with my nutritionist and during my classes. If your body goes without enough fuel to run it. Then the body changes how it uses and burns the fuel. That results in less weight loss. I could be wrong. Might have to Google it now. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

I'll have to ask my surgeon about this. Because I'm fairly certain starvation mode is not a myth.

This subject was talked about with my nutritionist and during my classes. If your body goes without enough fuel to run it. Then the body changes how it uses and burns the fuel. That results in less weight loss. I could be wrong. Might have to Google it now. Lol

Did Google it. From what I quickly read it's not a starvation mode it's because of your metabolic rate. Hmm live and learn :) think I'll still talk to my surgeon about it

Starvation mode is myth we like. "I'm not losing weight because I'm too good at not eating."

It also proves that far too many think WLS is magic.

It is not.

I am almost 4 years out, not yet at goal, and fighting for every damned lb I lose on my way to goal.

Stalls WILL happen from time to time. Fact of life.

Remember always eat you prescribed number of Protein grams per meal. Its a life long marathon - not a sprint to the end of the month.

Skykyd