Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yummy decaf drinks Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts

That is my staple drink even preop ... I love it

Starbucks - skinny vanilla latte Decaf

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm gonna be the Debbi Downer here...those skinny lattes still have 14-16 grams of sugar. A Flat White comes in around 15 grams of sugar. IF you're low-carbing, those can be tough choices. If you have almond milk, it's only 9 grams, with 2 grams of Fiber, so maybe a better option.

I love them all and get a whole-milk latte on occasion, so no judgement, just info :)

Hot coffee with an espresso shot, 4 shots of sugar free mocha and heavy cream. (Heavy cream is the only cream with no sugar and less than one carb and makes the drink so delish and creamy)

I get a venti and drink half of it, save the other in the fridge for an iced coffee later.

Ps. I'm allowed caffeine. Only drink restriction I have is carbonation.

Ps again. If you decide after reading that this sounds amazing and want to order it, make sure to say "heavy whipping cream" or they will mistake your request for a heavy shot of half and half which DOES have carbs and sugar! It isn't really whipped cream, it's a liquid cream. They call it heavy whipping cream because when you add sugar to it and whip it with a mixer, it turns to whipped cream. (I know the ladies know this. The explanation is for the guys )

Edited by gustavio

Mmmm I miss coffee so much. I was told wait at least 6 months for any coffee (decaf or regular). My favorite was always dunkin coffee with a shot of coconut and almond flavor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I don't understand why some surgeons say no to coffee I've been drinking it from day 3 after being sleeved in march and am at my goal 45 kgs gone and still losing my surgeon said coffee is not an issue you obviously don't want to over indulge as there's calories in milk

my life was made much better by being able to enjoy coffee as a treat when out if you want a coffee have one my surgeon said there is no medical or scientific evidence as to why we should not have it and said it's laughable that there's surgeons out there telling people no coffee

Sent from my iPhone

@@gustavio Heavy cream has sugar, ~6.5 grams/cup. It's the same sugar as in all dairy, which is lactose. 1T has just less than .5 grams of sugar, so the package may say zero grams of carbs per serving, but it's very misleading. I never have just one tablespoon of any cream in my coffee, more like 3-4 T so I'd have to count it as about 1.5-2 grams of sugar. I use half and half most of the time, ~10.5 grams/cup, so my 4T serving is about 2.5 grams of sugar. I know it sounds piddly, but it all adds up over the course of a day.

Caffeine

@@gustavio Heavy cream has sugar, ~6.5 grams/cup. It's the same sugar as in all dairy, which is lactose. 1T has just less than .5 grams of sugar, so the package may say zero grams of carbs per serving, but it's very misleading. I never have just one tablespoon of any cream in my coffee, more like 3-4 T so I'd have to count it as about 1.5-2 grams of sugar. I use half and half most of the time, ~10.5 grams/cup, so my 4T serving is about 2.5 grams of sugar. I know it sounds piddly, but it all adds up over the course of a day.

Ahh my label (that I looked up) says 0 of each. I'll have a cup maybe once a week. I'm not a huge coffee fan but when the boss offers to buy Starbucks, I oblige. He decides to be nice maybe once a week. Never more lol. I'm not arguing by any means. I believe you. I know how they play with the labels.

Only reason I started to order that particular drink is because I was looking online for a Bariatric friendly Starbucks drink and kept coming across the same one.

Half and half has more carbs than heavy cream.

Edited by gustavio

I've been consuming caffeine since a few weeks post-op, and I most often order an iced coffee and then add some whole milk. Occasionally I'll order a flat white or a latte. The last coffee I had a major chain was the cascara latte at Starbucks, which was enjoyable. I rarely pop into Duncan Donuts, but was pleasantly surprised by their iced latte!

I don't understand why some surgeons say no to coffee I've been drinking it from day 3 after being sleeved in march and am at my goal 45 kgs gone and still losing my surgeon said coffee is not an issue you obviously don't want to over indulge as there's calories in milk

my life was made much better by being able to enjoy coffee as a treat when out if you want a coffee have one my surgeon said there is no medical or scientific evidence as to why we should not have it and said it's laughable that there's surgeons out there telling people no coffee

Sent from my iPhone

I think the concern is that caffeine can be harsh on the stomach and cause irritation, though many people are able to tolerate and enjoy it. I began drinking small cups a few weeks post-op, and when my stomach gave me the green light I gradually increased to my usual amount. Coffee is one of the simple pleasures of my life.

This is what the ASMBS stated about it:

Q: Do I need to avoid caffeine after bariatric surgery? A: Caffeine fluids have been shown to be as good as any others for keeping you hydrated. Still, it is a good idea to avoid caffeine for at least the first thirty days after surgery while your stomach is extra sensitive. After that point, you can ask your surgeon or dietitian about resuming caffeine. Remember that caffeine often comes paired with sugary, high-calorie drinks, so be sure you’re making wise beverage choices.

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

I have been craving root beer. I can't have caffeine but root beer I want.....m

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App

I've never tried it, but I know root beer extract exists. There might be a recipe on Pinterest or something for a smoothie using vanilla Protein powder and the extract to create something resembling a root beer float.