Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for all post op vets ( at least 2 years post op or longer)

Notice that there is more whining here than actual advice?

Sent from my SM-N900P using the BariatricPal App

You may as well get used to it.

That's what happens when there are precious few successful vets around.

Well, the OPs questions have been duly answered. With as little drama as possible. There was No need for all the "the sky is falling" comments about everyone leaving. Just give it time, and someone'll answer.

To answer your other question, I am a recently sleeved friend of a 3 year post op RNY patient.

I was initially skeptical of WLS (research vs cost benefits) until watching his transformation up close and personal, developing hypertension, and waiting to move to a state with few hiccups regarding coverage prompted my surgery decision. I stalked BP for 1 year before creating a profile a few days before my surgery..

So not only do you name-call and stalk people, but you have reading comprehension trouble too? "Recently sleeved" is not 2+ years post-op and being a friend of someone who is doesn't make you a vet either.

This is the kind of advice-givers who will dominate going forward, now that all of the reliable people have been banned. Lord help you all.

LoL.. it's not name calling.. to use an often bandided phrase here, it's "telling it like it is"

Did I claim to be a veteran? That was why I left a disclaimer in my post. Not once did I claim I was a 'vet'.

I was more concerned with why instead of telling someone with a genuine question proper advice, all you were doing was claiming that the vets are gone or going. Didn't my advice turn out to be true?

I never try to make peoples threads about me or someone else. I just try to help and move on.

Anyway... nothing more to say here. Clearly something else is bothering you.

Perhaps a new thread may provide a medium for other people to be of some assistance.

Have a pleasant evening..

I'm a two plus year vet. I still have problems with really dense meat, like pork chops. I have to chew really well. I can drink Water fairly normally. Still not with meals and still occasionally drink Protein shakes, when I don't get enough Protein any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 7 months post-op and this is right where I am, too. Has it been this way for you for a long time?

LoL.. it's not name calling.. to use an often bandided phrase here, it's "telling it like it is"

Did I claim to be a veteran? That was why I left a disclaimer in my post. Not once did I claim I was a 'vet'.

I was more concerned with why instead of telling someone with a genuine question proper advice, all you were doing was claiming that the vets are gone or going. Didn't my advice turn out to be true?

I never try to make peoples threads about me or someone else. I just try to help and move on.

Perhaps a new thread may provide a medium for other people to be of some assistance.

Don't hand-slap, okay? If you have something to say, say it, but don't chastise others for saying what they want. Playground 101, right? It's been a long day here on BP :)

Well, the OPs questions have been duly answered. With as little drama as possible. There was No need for all the "the sky is falling" comments about everyone leaving. Just give it time, and someone'll answer.

To answer your other question, I am a recently sleeved friend of a 3 year post op RNY patient.

I was initially skeptical of WLS (research vs cost benefits) until watching his transformation up close and personal, developing hypertension, and waiting to move to a state with few hiccups regarding coverage prompted my surgery decision. I stalked BP for 1 year before creating a profile a few days before my surgery..

So not only do you name-call and stalk people, but you have reading comprehension trouble too? "Recently sleeved" is not 2+ years post-op and being a friend of someone who is doesn't make you a vet either.

This is the kind of advice-givers who will dominate going forward, now that all of the reliable people have been banned. Lord help you all.

Yeah... and I meant stalking sites not people... perusing threads and post, extracting useful information. That's all.

Had I stumbled upon any of these testy post-op threads, I might have reconsidered my decision to join.. too late now. I sort of enjoy being here..

Ps: There are tons of resources out there that people can be directed to.

That is another way of helping..

Edited by Middus

Why, thank you.

I think, though, instead of a pleasant night............I'll have a pleasant life.

In part due to the vets who led me to make the right calls at the right times......and not a bunch of enabling well-wishers who didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

are you able to drink Water like used to before surgery.

I don't have to sip but I can't chug a whole bottle of Water. I basically just have something available to drink all the time and try to get at least 100oz every day.

Do you still go through issues with certain foods agreeing with you or food sensitivities?

Nothing I can't eat or drink

Do you still ever drink Protein shakes?

Yes. They are great to grab on the run when I don't have time to sit down and eat a real meal. Getting 80+ g of Protein everyday has been key to my maintenance

At 18 months I can chug Water and eat anything.

I have a theory on why some people can and some can't but I can't do a study to prove it but I see the same thing over and over. Basically I think your sleeve is like a muscle, you have to use it. People that have issues getting their Protein in are not exercising their sleeve. Like if you rely on Protein shakes for a long time, you don't flex your restriction.

A lot of vets have said that going to liquids for a day or 2 makes them tight as a drum.

If I go a day without anything solid, it takes me a couple days to work my capacity back up.

The only thing I have issue with is scrambled eggs but I have always hated them so there is no loss. I have to make sure chicken breaks are most enough but I don't even like them. Pork chops and steaks are the easiest things to at for me.

The effects of surgery are short 6 to 9 months. Then you can eat whatever and your restriction is normalized.

Origami question

Btw I am 15 months out

I finally can just have Water without acid problems this week

I still have some issues with food - I can't do anything citrus and I can't eat bread ( or much of it) maybe I may never have them again , and I may just have into my head this may be my new life if eating, I am really watching what I eat trying to lose last 15 ponds at this moment., and yes some days I do shakes if I don't hit 60 in macOS

I had lap and surgery in 2011 and revised to bypass in March 2016, so I am a veteran to this. #1 I would say that it may depend on the type of surgery you had. With lapband there were no foods that I was restricted from after two years and could drink as much Water as I wanted. At the beginning eggs and chicken breast were foods that I had problems with, but not by year two. Having had the bypass and still being under a year from that surgery, I do find a difference. The amount of food that I can eat is much less, as well as some textures. Hard foods and raw vegetables I avoid because I have a lot of scar tissue that causes it to be a problem. I have a hard time getting in my Water now, too. Probably if I cut back on my coffee consumption I could get more water in (mostly decaf). Anyway, what you may consider "normal" is going to be your "new normal".

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

Ok guys so thank you for all of the responses, they were appreciated. I got the answers i was looking for.

My biggest fear is being able to eat more food than i can now. I'm perfectly fine with eating tiny portions forever.

I just used to go through way more Water before being sleeved so i wasn't sure if that would ever go back to normal. Or if i would have to eat slow for the rest of my life.

@@OKCPirate @@Wendyfm @@ShelterDog64 thanks guys.

@@xoxococojay

As you heal and with time you are going to be able to eat more, you are supposed to be able to eat more/heal.

That is why you can't just rely on restriction to tell you when to stop. 3-4 ounces is a proper meat portion. Depending on what I am eating and how much I have already ate that day, I can eat 6 ounces of dense protein(I have to eat 6 ounces sometimes to catch up on Protein for the day, which is how I know I can). What stops me is having it measured out to 4 ounces.

Restriction won't save people long term, good habits, and weighing (measurements can be really off) your food.

@@OutsideMatchInside i agree with you because i accidentally took to big of a sip a week or so post op. It hurt but i was like screw it and kept doing it and i think that's the only reason why i'm able to drink Water almost normally now.

Drinking Water normally is good though. I wasn't able to drink more than 3 ounces as at when I was discharged. By the following week, I was downing 20 oz in less than 30mins. Reaching my water goal is pretty easy. I actually thought my surgeon used a bougie that was too wide... till I switched to solids.

I agree that weighing food remains the best option (although it's impractical for me to do that at work), as food volume will vary depending on density. Eg 4oz of salmon may go down more easily than 4oz of chopped spinach..

Edited by Middus

Yes, for me things basically have returned to a "new" normal. I can drink Water normally. I can still only eat small portions, and bread will (hopefully) forever make me uncomfortable. I still have Protein shakes for Breakfast when I am in a hurry. So, yes and no. Things do settle down into "normal," but the "normal" is a new normal. I can eat pretty much anything, and there are people I know from work who met me after I lost the majority of the weight and don't know I had surgery. I do eat smaller portions and opt for the veggies and Protein at work/group/social meals, but it basically looks like anyone "on a diet" or watching what they eat would do.

@@xoxococojay No, I meant most of the 2+ years vets are gone ;-)

Ive noticed that lately. What happened?