Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transtioning to solids?

Hi

My DOC says i can start soft solids already and im looking forward to it cos im getting abit sick of Soups and applesauce,,,,

My issue is i dont know what to try,

When I tasted scrambled eggs i threw up(that may have been the oil in it) the first time but a day later it just made me abit nauseous (no oil but still not much fun) im craving baked Beans but read somewhere to stay away from legumes...

Long story short anyone got any ideas?, and is it normal to feel nauseous when starting soft solids?

Thanks guys for the support

Sent from my LG-H850 using the BariatricPal App

I hope I'm not supposed to stay away from Beans cuz as a vegan I don't know what else to eat in the puréed phase(which I just started 2 days ago) Wish I was could help @@avremy but I'm struggling to figure this out and still drinking a lot of Protein Powder shakes. I think baked beans would be bad though because of all the added sugar.

I feel nauseous everyday. I started solids 1 week ago. I can't eat eggs without getting sick. Try fish or Beans or chicken instead. I am tired of fish and shrimp now because that's all I eat. You can try yogurt and some cheeses. They have Protein. This stage is the worst in my mind because it's difficult to find out what really works for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

@@avremy I still struggle with eggs at nearly 7 mos post-op...I can eat them poached, and sometimes boiled, but not fried or scrambled. Weird, but typical :)

Refried Beans are great when you start solids, but baked Beans have a lot of sugar in them...beans are carb-y to begin with, then the sauce that's added really puts them over into 'don't eat' land for me.

Try cottage cheese, greek yogurt, refried beans, lentils, ricotta bake (google the recipe), string cheese, ground meats, flaky fish, canned tuna. Just limit yourself to only a couple of things every few days, chew well and measure/weigh your portions. Dry meats can be an issue, so use some Mayonnaise or yogurt with the tuna. And don't give up on eggs, keep trying them periodically...you'll probably be able to eat them at some point!

I've experimenting with thin sliced deli meat (turkey) and super thin slices of muenster cheese. Roll it together. I can eat about 1.5 ounces. Going to try some turkey meatballs tomorrow. Also, I added the tiniest amount of low fat cheese in my scrambled egg and it went down Better.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I started soft foods about a week and a half ago. I have so far been ok w eggs, but hard boiled seem to work better and don't make me nauseous. I also eat light string cheese, I have also tried ground turkey patties, chicken, melons, and cooked spinach, broccoli and mushrooms. I have also ate a banana w smooth Peanut Butter too. I haven't had a problem with anything so far. Just getting tired of the same ol stuff. I just can't wait to eat raw fruits and veggies and eat a spinach salad. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am on soft foods now and I am on day 5 of week 4. I struggled with scrambled egg but added a bit of lactose free milk and didn't over cook it. I have a real hard time with meat. chicken is really hard going even when I chew for a while. It seems to get stuck. I am fine with tuna, ricotta cheese, mornay, porridge, smoothies made with ice and coconut Water, minced beef in sauce.

I think my problem is that I still eat quite quickly, I don't like cold food unless it is meant to be cold for example salad or Cereal. I also have to remind myself to chew more.

All my life I ate fast before everyone and that also meant I ate more as I didn't feel full straight away.

This is a learning curve for me. However I am really happy with the weight loss and recovery time post op.

I have lost 12kg, which is 26.4 pounds. I work in kilos as I am in Australia.

I am walking every day and eating healthy. I feel so much better already and I am only a third of the way to my goal.

Good luck everyone and thank you for all of the posts they have been a great support.

Thanks guys really helpful stuff

Sent from my LG-H850 using the BariatricPal App

I too craved baked Beans. I was having a rough week of nausea and not getting in Protein or liquids about 5 weeks post op. I made a can. And yes it had brown sugar and Syrup in it. It took me like ten sittings over many days but I ate it. I tasted great and helped me get back on track. I get a nausea gagging feeling every couple hours and sometimes I just have to eat the "comfort" foods or I won't get any thing in. I am still loosing. Just went under 200. Fifty pounds in 8 weeks. Could it have been more maybe or maybe I would have been in the hospital with dehydration or something worse if I didn't give myself a small but tasty break. I don't recommend going crazy but the amount we can eat right now is so small any way.

The baked Beans out of the can aren't too good for you but you can make your own and puree them, that is what I do. You can also make lentils in the same fashion. With the Beans though, puree manually using a strainer so that you don't get any of the skin which in my head, can pose a potential problem. It makes a nice paste.

You can also have yogurt, bananas (smashed), sweet potatoe, ricotta cheese and cottage cheese.

I too experimented with lean chicken and turkey slices and it goes down well.

LIke the other users have said, don't experiment with too much at one time.

Soft foods has been fun. I eat eggs with cheese, shrimp, lean ground beef with Tomato sauce, tuna sashimi, lots of black Beans etc. Your options are wide open! Just be sure to try one food at a time and see how you tolerate it.

I did deli meat too. Turkey with a tiny bit of mustard rolled up was really good.

@@Kaylamh you're lucky - my NUT said NO meat yet. Every plan is different I guess, right? I do make my Beans with a little meat in them and I have had some soft chicken in Soup - I was able to stomach it. I feel as though beef is going to be one of the last things I try.

@@Wonder Woman NJ yeah, beef came after fish for me. I tolerate it better than shredded chicken because it's a little more moist. Every plan is SO different. I did the same thing you're doing when I was in puréed foods. Just a little bit blended into other stuff.