Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you describe the full feeling and one bite too many?

Started day one of pureed foods yesterday. It went well.

Breakfast

One scrambled egg with 1/2 teaspoon of cheese

snack

Protein shake

lunch

2 oz of pureed meatloaf with beef broth (brought my magic bullet to school)

1/4 cup of cauliflower bleneded

Snack

Protein Shake

dinner

1/2 Cup of Refried Beans mixed with 1 teaspoon of cheese and 1 tablespoon of salsa

Here is the deal, at lunch and dinner I felt like I could have consumed more, but I was not hungry. Will the sleeve give us some kind of sensation that says "hey, I have had enough"?

I have a friend that has a band and I could tell when he ate too much. He would need to go vomit in the bathroom. Is there a definite sign with the sleeve that we are going to be in trouble?

So far no issues with vomiting. That was my biggest fear with the procedure. I hate, hate, hate to throw up. Just want to make sure I know when my sleeve is "talking" to me.

Edited by Coachthex32

To a certain extent the feeling is going to be subjective. Different people will notice it different ways. For me, I can tell by a bit of pressure, and a feeling like there is food or liquid in my esophagus.

My philosophy is that it is better to eat a little less than you think you can/should, and build up very slowly from there. When you get to feeling uncomfortable, back it off for the next time and that should serve as your measurement.

Immediately post-op, you really can't rely on signals from your stomach to tell you when you are "full", because your nerves were damaged in the surgery. That's why it's very important to measure your food and eat on a schedule. Later on, you will definitely have some signs that you are "full", but they may not be the same was when you felt full pre-op. So it is important to eat slowly and assess whether the previous bite needs to be the LAST bite before taking the next bite.

How I figured it out was by (too) often having one bite to many.

I run out of stomach and that last bite sits in my lower esophagus for a while. Doesn't feel good, sometimes I get reflux with what would have been a normal burp.

At that point I was weighing my food. My solution was to cut back a few grams and it usually worked. I'm 11 week post surgery and at this point my body has learned to respond to feeling, not exactly pre surgery "full", just that I should done eating.

...I felt like I could have consumed more, but I was not hungry. Will the sleeve give us some kind of sensation that says "hey, I have had enough"?

I have a friend that has a band and I could tell when he ate too much. He would need to go vomit in the bathroom. Is there a definite sign with the sleeve that we are going to be in trouble?

Just want to make sure I know when my sleeve is "talking" to me.

Sheesh, at first glance I knew that you and your non-stoopid questions were going to be trouble. You have answered your own question. You reached the point when you thought, "I can eat another bite or three, but I don't need them. I am satiated now."

You will most often, if not always, recognize the moment if you eat slowly, chew thoroughly and pause between bites. Let your system have time to feel that you've arrived. Pay attention so that you don't miss the moment. It will take extra mindfulness early in your surgery career and become more second nature in time -- but never stop paying attention, as there are no guarantees. Eating alone makes it easier to be aware, for example, than having company at the table.

Pay no attention to your friend. He's doing things all wrong. I have no way of knowing if it's emotional appetite that makes him overeat or that he just never figured it out. His spitting up may be a result not of overeating, but of eating too quickly, taking too-large bites, eating foods that are especially fibrous. Also, squishy things may not sit well for him. Band people are generally told not to eat bread, Pasta, rice or other things that, when cooked, can be squished by hand into a ball -- they can get stuck on the way down with only one way out. If he doesn't know these things or ignores them....Well, he's not the one I'm talking to. You are.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I start hiccuping or coughing when I've had enough.

A few times that didnt happen and I took that one last bite and just needed to spit it out (sorry don't mean to be gross)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App