Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prescriptions Trans border

I have a question about prescriptions:

I would like a Mexican prescription from the surgeon for use state side, fill in US, for pre-op Phentermine because I have a huge appetite and don't think I'll fare well on the pre op liquid diet.

I have an expired (prescribed a year and a month ago) US prescription for Retin A I want to fill while in Mexico. In 1997 one did not need a prescription for it but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Does anyone know if these two scripts could be filled like that?

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

US pharmacists only fill prescriptions by doctors/nurse practitioners with US licenses. Not sure about Retin-A in Mexico.

When I was in Mexico a few years ago, you could by Retin-A over the counter. Heck, they were selling it in the souvenir shops!

Yes. Last month I bought retin a. Over the counter in a Mexican pharmacia My girlfriend bought a strong solution. (30%)

I stuck with the lower percentage (10%) doesn't dry my skin as much

It did cost around $20 for me. $30 for hers.

@@Malin - The Mexican government finally caved to the US government and their war to keep us from exercising autonomy over our own bodies and much of the stuff you could buy in Mexico OTC is gone. I'm not that I'm bitter or anything. ;-)

I'm just now seeing this thread myself, but please talk to your surgeon weeks before about the use of phentermine. It is essentially a prescribed and legal amphetamine, and that plus anesthesia do NOT mix. I hate harping on this, but the pre-op diet isn't just for shrinking of the liver, but also to test your ability to fight through the hunger and remain dedicated. You will not have a good time no matter what. But you will not be able to take phentermine post-op, and you WILL likely feel some hunger after as well and will not be able to eat (if you get surgery done in Mexico you will likely be on a 2 week liquids post-op as well). There's this common misconception that post-op you won't feel hunger ever again or months out of surgery, this is not always the case. I felt it for the first 6-8 weeks post-op until I started on solid foods and it took a while for my body to adjust to the smaller amounts of food and being 'satisfied'. Phentermine is pretty bad for you anyways. I was on it for 4 months at one point and was ultimately glad that my doctor took me off from it after, even though I gained the weight back that I'd lost on it.

I'd recommend looking into more natural appetite suppressants (there are some).

US prescriptions for US only and Mexican prescriptions for Mexico only. I have been on this forum for over two years and most people say they are not hungry after surgery. It is not a misconception that post-op you won't feel hungry. I am 8 weeks post-op and I am not and do not get hungry. I eat on a schedule, making sure that I am getting my Protein and fluids in. So it really depends on many things. You may or may not be hungry after surgery.

Phentermine is not a good option for weight loss. And no reputable surgeon will allow you to take that before surgery. It's about your safety and life with surgery.

You can do this!!!!!!

Honestly if you don't think you can even do a pre op diet for 2 weeks how are you going to change your lifestyle, FOREVER. They do surgery on your stomach not your mind. You will still have cravings afterward.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I'm more worried about the the pre-op diet. I have an appetite issue. I was 2.5 hours late to work today because of it. It has been going on for about 10 years. I have talked to numerous doctors about it but have not found a good solution. I even tried to form a persimmon phytobezoar. I can lose weight if my appetite is down because I am more of a volume eater than junk food eater. And I excercize almost every day. I have done well on liquid diets before if Phentermine or alchohol were involved. This is going to be really hard! Pray for me. Mardi Gras will take on a special meaning as I start on the pre-op diet the next day. I just happened to Google Phentermine and anesthesia together today and saw the warnings. Maybe I should have known. My niece is a nurse anesthetist and my neighbor just died during anesthesia three months ago. The doctors or coordinators should be warning about this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

It is a misconception that you won't feel hunger after surgery because there is absolutely no way to tell whether or not you will or won't until you're post-op. There have been a number of people who (like me) thought they weren't suppose to feel hunger, did, and got frustrated and had a much harder time with head hunger on top of it because everyone was glazing over saying, "No worries! You won't feel hungry!" But it's not true. Sure, you might get lucky and not feel it at all, but I got in my liquids and Protein, and I felt like I was starving until I started solid foods. Everyone is different and my point to the OP was to warn them that there is no guarantee that this surgery will make them never feel hunger again. Even now if I go too long between meals I will feel a bit of hunger. Not nearly to the extent that I did post-op or pre-op, but it can still creep up on you.

I'll be taking time off from work and should be able to roll with it. Meanwhile three hours of sleep and two bowls of raisin bran, hopefully I can fall back to sleep in an hour and not two.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using the BariatricPal App

It is a misconception that you won't feel hunger after surgery because there is absolutely no way to tell whether or not you will or won't until you're post-op. There have been a number of people who (like me) thought they weren't suppose to feel hunger, did, and got frustrated and had a much harder time with head hunger on top of it because everyone was glazing over saying, "No worries! You won't feel hungry!" But it's not true. Sure, you might get lucky and not feel it at all, but I got in my liquids and Protein, and I felt like I was starving until I started solid foods. Everyone is different and my point to the OP was to warn them that there is no guarantee that this surgery will make them never feel hunger again. Even now if I go too long between meals I will feel a bit of hunger. Not nearly to the extent that I did post-op or pre-op, but it can still creep up on you.

It is not a misconception. It either will or won't happen. Any good surgeon will tell a patient that they may or may not feel hungry immediately after surgery. A misconception is something that is not true. I didn't feel hungry and still don't feel hungry. That is not a misconception. That is the truth for me and a lot of other people. I have been on this forum for over two years and most of the people I conversed with did not feel hungry after surgery. So either a person will or won't feel hunger.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App