Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does this work?!

I believe I'm a better candidate for the band. I'm lower BMI and I like the idea of it being adjustable.

Anyway, I hear SUCH bad stories about the band that I'm curious if this actually does work fine for some people?!

I have the band and hate it. Mine has also slipped. That being said. If you do not have insurance then the band is not a

good idea IMO. You must be prepared to have multiple adjustments to the band sometimes in a matter of weeks. If you are too tight or loose....not in the green zone.....you will be miserable (cant even swallow spit) or be able to eat a lot more than the intended pouch.) As a cash pay person you need lots of cash or you are screwed. Also, no matter how many years out you are, sometimes randomly you still get stuck. I dont care if you can eat a Big Mac and fries and Sundae.....you might....one weird bite and ouch, pressure, vomit. Hell. I got banded in 2009, lost 50ish pounds and lost my insurance so I couldn't maintain my band. I am not a poster child for proper use and care for the band, but I couldn't afford the maintenance and moved out of state and no new surgeon wanted some other surgeons patient (not impossible but everyone I spoke with wouldn't take me as a patient) Very frustrating, depressing, embarrassing ordeal. Especially when you tell people you are going to have surgery and years later you are still fat. The band was one of the most demoralizing mistakes I ever made. I am hoping that I will do well with the sleeve. Following protocol and STAYING ON TOP OF YOUR FILLS is absolutely mandatory for success with the band. You REALLY need to focus so much on your follow up care. The band is a rubber noodle if it isnt properly tightened for restriction. And the restriction you get can fluctuate from stress, your period, time of day....so many variables. To me it is not worth it but I am bitter from my own misery. I wasn't thrilled about chopping off my stomach either, but it will be up to me alone to use the tool now, not if I can make it to a $200 10minute office visit. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I have the band and hate it. Mine has also slipped. That being said. If you do not have insurance then the band is not a

good idea IMO. You must be prepared to have multiple adjustments to the band sometimes in a matter of weeks. If you are too tight or loose....not in the green zone.....you will be miserable (cant even swallow spit) or be able to eat a lot more than the intended pouch.) As a cash pay person you need lots of cash or you are screwed. Also, no matter how many years out you are, sometimes randomly you still get stuck. I dont care if you can eat a Big Mac and fries and Sundae.....you might....one weird bite and ouch, pressure, vomit. Hell. I got banded in 2009, lost 50ish pounds and lost my insurance so I couldn't maintain my band. I am not a poster child for proper use and care for the band, but I couldn't afford the maintenance and moved out of state and no new surgeon wanted some other surgeons patient (not impossible but everyone I spoke with wouldn't take me as a patient) Very frustrating, depressing, embarrassing ordeal. Especially when you tell people you are going to have surgery and years later you are still fat. The band was one of the most demoralizing mistakes I ever made. I am hoping that I will do well with the sleeve. Following protocol and STAYING ON TOP OF YOUR FILLS is absolutely mandatory for success with the band. You REALLY need to focus so much on your follow up care. The band is a rubber noodle if it isnt properly tightened for restriction. And the restriction you get can fluctuate from stress, your period, time of day....so many variables. To me it is not worth it but I am bitter from my own misery. I wasn't thrilled about chopping off my stomach either, but it will be up to me alone to use the tool now, not if I can make it to a $200 10minute office visit. Good luck!

Hi Christina! Do you plan on getting the sleeve?

I was banded Oct 31st and so far I am loving it. I haven't had any issues so far and down 25 pounds. This was really the option for me because I didn't want anything as drastic as taking out part of my stomach. I don't know what the future holds but so far I am happy with my decision!

As you wrote your note, you're actually asking two questions: Does the band work? and Does the band work and remain viable for the long haul. You're going to hear the good, the bad and the neutral in response to both questions.

In answer to the first, the band works if the owner works it, as "they" say in the street. It will not work for losing weight f not considered and used as an aid, a partner, so to speak. It usually takes a few adjustments to get it set as an optimal aid. Because it's fickle, adjustments to loosen or tighten may be needed from time to time; there's no way to predict. Then there are the band owners whose bands are just right for them out of the gate.

Second question: The band isn't perfect and many have revised to other surgeries. They include those who had legitimate cause and I have no doubt that others just didn't work their bands or abused them. With a band, as with any of the bariatric procedures, regain is always a possibility. Maintenance for the long term is the individual's responsibility and demands vigilance. One downside with the band is that it requires pretty much life-long attention, e.g., annual esophagrams (a.k.a. barium swallows) to be sure it's in place and that liquids and food continue to move from mouth to stomach as they should. Slips are always a possibility; some can be avoided (by not gorging and/or eating too quickly and the like) and some not (perhaps a wrenching movement, which doesn't mean, by the way, giving up ice-climbing or whatever dare-devilry is your passion, which reminds me: No need to give up sex, either).

One band star is @@Alex Brecher who founded BP. He had surgery about 14 years ago and has maintained his boyish figure since reaching his goal as far as I know. He's not your deciding factor, of course, but, if he stops in, may be able to give you perspective that I can't. I'm one of those who was doing wonderfully, with goal in sight, but was thrown by a life event and regained most the the weight I'd lost. I'm back on track now. For a while I thought my band might have breathed it's last, but my July esophagram was good and the band is doing its thing. I must take care to pay attention to the signals it sends -- again, that personal responsibility thing.

To make a long spiel longer, I'll end by suggesting that you read your replies and compose a list of specific questions to pose to people at the surgery practice you're considering. Also attend its support group to ask and listing to people face to face. This last is not to advise you to abandon BP.

All the best.

Yes. Hopefully Feb 17th. I really wanted the band to work for me, but I had no idea how much I was going to have to do just to keep my "equipment"" functional. I feel if my stomach is sleeved, all I have to worry about is controlling what I eat and exercise. Looking forward to never wondering if my tool needs a tune up because I lost weight and am not tight anymore or having to pace twist and turn and sip pineapple juice to get a rogue piece of chicken to swallow down. AND I have insurance again so even with less Dr visits Im covered, yay!

Yes. Hopefully Feb 17th. I really wanted the band to work for me, but I had no idea how much I was going to have to do just to keep my "equipment"" functional. I feel if my stomach is sleeved, all I have to worry about is controlling what I eat and exercise. Looking forward to never wondering if my tool needs a tune up because I lost weight and am not tight anymore or having to pace twist and turn and sip pineapple juice to get a rogue piece of chicken to swallow down. AND I have insurance again so even with less Dr visits Im covered, yay!

Glad to hear that Keep me updated on your journey!

I'm just the rogue voice saying that the band did and does work for some of us.

As intended, you cannot overfill your band , or the real risk of throwing everything up becomes more and more a reality .

(I for example, have 1.5 in a max of 4)

The longer I go. (Banded12/06)The more I realize this is fairly much on me. Not my band .

Takes some of us years to get it!!![emoji122][emoji122]

I still try everyday.

Gotta go find my Water

Edited by Julie norton

As you wrote your note, you're actually asking two questions: Does the band work? and Does the band work and remain viable for the long haul. You're going to hear the good, the bad and the neutral in response to both questions.

In answer to the first, the band works if the owner works it, as "they" say in the street. It will not work for losing weight f not considered and used as an aid, a partner, so to speak. It usually takes a few adjustments to get it set as an optimal aid. Because it's fickle, adjustments to loosen or tighten may be needed from time to time; there's no way to predict. Then there are the band owners whose bands are just right for them out of the gate.

Second question: The band isn't perfect and many have revised to other surgeries. They include those who had legitimate cause and I have no doubt that others just didn't work their bands or abused them. With a band, as with any of the bariatric procedures, regain is always a possibility. Maintenance for the long term is the individual's responsibility and demands vigilance. One downside with the band is that it requires pretty much life-long attention, e.g., annual esophagrams (a.k.a. barium swallows) to be sure it's in place and that liquids and food continue to move from mouth to stomach as they should. Slips are always a possibility; some can be avoided (by not gorging and/or eating too quickly and the like) and some not (perhaps a wrenching movement, which doesn't mean, by the way, giving up ice-climbing or whatever dare-devilry is your passion, which reminds me: No need to give up sex, either).

One band star is @@Alex Brecher who founded BP. He had surgery about 14 years ago and has maintained his boyish figure since reaching his goal as far as I know. He's not your deciding factor, of course, but, if he stops in, may be able to give you perspective that I can't. I'm one of those who was doing wonderfully, with goal in sight, but was thrown by a life event and regained most the the weight I'd lost. I'm back on track now. For a while I thought my band might have breathed it's last, but my July esophagram was good and the band is doing its thing. I must take care to pay attention to the signals it sends -- again, that personal responsibility thing.

To make a long spiel longer, I'll end by suggesting that you read your replies and compose a list of specific questions to pose to people at the surgery practice you're considering. Also attend its support group to ask and listing to people face to face. This last is not to advise you to abandon BP.

All the best.

what she said! best post ever on this subject!!

I was banded 10/12/16. I've lost 40 pounds including my 10 day pre-op diet. For me a loss of 10 pounds a month is awesome! I want slow, steady and consistent weightloss while still enjoying life with healthier habits. No regrets from me.