Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily carb goal?

I had my 2 month post-op today and asked about carb amounts per day, since it's not in writing on my food plan.

She said my goal is 65g Protein, 64 oz Water, and 100g carbs/day. That seems like a high number of carbs to me! Anyone else have a carb target they can share?

I had my 2 month post-op today and asked about carb amounts per day, since it's not in writing on my food plan.

She said my goal is 65g Protein, 64 oz Water, and 100g carbs/day. That seems like a high number of carbs to me! Anyone else have a carb target they can share?

My Dr is recommending 60-80g of Protein per day!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

My nutritionist recommend less than 50 g of carb to trigger ketosis.

Everyone is different but I'm 9 months out and I don't think my pouch could handle that many carbs in a day. On a carb intense day I push 70.

I think the best advice is to focus on your fluids and Proteins. Especially since you are only two months out. What does your doctor/plan say?

My daily targets: 3 months post RNY

70g Protein

50g Carbs

15g Fat

Plenty water: 6- 8 glasses

I'm doing really well on this!!

plans are all so different - some push ultra low carbs (like 50 or lower), some are OK with moderately low carbs. Mine was one of the latter. At 19 months out, I average about 100 grams a day, but early on, I was usually less than 80. However, I'm not particularly carb sensitive. If I *was*, I probably would have really limited my carbs even though my program doesn't require it.

Mine is the same as yours and also 30gms fat per day.

My weight loss has been very slow and I am curious if the carbs may have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My nutritionist wants 70 grams of Protein a day and 100 grams of carbs, with calories at about 1,000 to 1,100.

Add: I don't do that amount of carbs, but I try to get the Protein in.

Yes, 100g carbs seems like a ton to me but she said "your body needs at least 100g of carbs a day to function". Isn't that really outdated advice? How could millions of people be doing Keto and not dropping dead?

Everyone is different but I'm 9 months out and I don't think my pouch could handle that many carbs in a day. On a carb intense day I push 70.

I think the best advice is to focus on your fluids and Proteins. Especially since you are only two months out. What does your doctor/plan say?

My plan just says the Protein and Water goal every day, and that "one serving" should have no more than 14g sugar and 7g fat.

Mine is the same as yours and also 30gms fat per day.

My weight loss has been very slow and I am curious if the carbs may have something to do with it.

maybe...or maybe not. Weight loss rate can depend on so many factors - age, gender, starting weight, metabolism, whether or not you lost weight pre-surgery, etc. I was a slow loser - I was constantly behind the curve the first six months post-surgery, and even one of the medical residents who saw me told me I was a slow loser (not what I wanted to hear), but I've lost 227 lbs and am at a normal BMI. And I never did ultra low-carb eating (and I'm assuming not many other people in my program did, either, since it wasn't required). So who knows.

Edited by catwoman7

How are you feeling not getting in that many carbs?

Do you feel like you would have to stuff yourself to get in more good/slow carbs?

Like barley, broccoli, Beans, nuts, etc.

If you can drink it, an 11 oz can of V8 has 9 sugar and 14 grams carbs. (Just off the top of my head, so it may not be 100% right.) You can get in some veggies and if you want to hit that 100 grams carbs, it'll help.

Part of the reason my carbs are the way they are is because of my picky pouch. food reintegration has just been a struggle. My pouch is just really slow to get used to new food. So on my plan, I don't have to any carb bench marks I have to hit.