Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't slam me for this question... I do bite back????

Please don't slam me for this question, but at 5 weeks post op, can we eat pork skins? It's meat, 0 carbs and it gets soft, eventually? I'm just wondering ... when I did low carb years ago , I kept me some pork skins. But just wondering if it's ok now.

I used them crushed as breading so no judgement here. I'd say chew the hell out of one before awallowing. Then wait to see how you feel.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by baribabe72

I've never eaten them, but the concerns with foods safety-wise while advancing your diet are (generally speaking):

hard/sharp edges & seeds can damage a healing incision - I don't know how hard/sharp pork skins are, but they look like the consistency of chips, so if you're not cleared for chips I wouldn't want to try them. For example, I was cleared safety-wise for saltine crackers pretty early on because even though they're hard out of the package, they convert to mush VERY rapidly, even before you can swallow them if you chew well. (The carb content is another issue entirely.) But Triscuits I wasn't cleared for until I was released to a full diet because the hard fibers don't convert to mush rapidly, and remain tough with sharp edges and fragments break off easily. And while I wouldn't choose chips during weight loss anyway, they are kinda in the middle safety-wise, and I wouldn't have wanted to risk it until I was cleared for all foods.

foods that swell up in the stomach can damage the healing incision - I don't know if they swell up or not, my best guess would be that they don't much?

digestability (based on moisture content and density, mainly) - denser and drier foods are harder to digest, so they can cause discomfort. Not usually a safety issue, but the discomfort can be intense, and some foods that are particularly hard to digest (like the Triscuits mentioned above, or fruit rinds, or fibrous vegetables) can have fragments break off and damage the healing incision.

It's always safest to check with your doctor or team for any foods that aren't on your specifically approved lists, up until you're cleared for a full diet. But at least safety-wise, those are the general things they're looking at when they answer the question.

Never heard of those, are they similar to Pork rinds?

Never heard of those, are they similar to pork rinds?

Lmao... a vivid memory from my mother's RnY journey is picturing her throwing up into a toilet and saying 'Those damn chicharrones!' ..... be careful! I admit because of that memory I'll be scared to try at first.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Dknal2

If it's on your plan, you just have to decide if it's worth the calories and the Protein value in your day.

Pork Rinds 80 calories for 1/2 and ounce 8g protein

SouthernRecipe-HotAndSpicyPorkRinds-4ozN

Quest chips 1 1/8 oz 120 calories 21g Protein (not everyones taste. I dip them in salsa) worth a try

quest-protein-chips-bbq-ingredients.png

Turkey Jerkey 1 oz 60 calories 15g protein

918K6mB3+EL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you @Jenn1... I love turkey Jerky and just didn't even think about it... so glad you posted it... where can one find Quest chips?

@@Dknal2

If it's on your plan, you just have to decide if it's worth the calories and the Protein value in your day.

Pork Rinds 80 calories for 1/2 and ounce 8g protein

SouthernRecipe-HotAndSpicyPorkRinds-4ozN

quest chips 1 1/8 oz 120 calories 21g Protein (not everyones taste. I dip them in salsa) worth a try

quest-protein-chips-bbq-ingredients.png

Turkey Jerkey 1 oz 60 calories 15g protein

918K6mB3+EL._SL1500_.jpg

OMG I WILL STAY AWAY, that makes me nervous.

I asked my doctor about pork skins hence the word skins he looked at me like I had 12 heads. His look alone told me my answer.

Thank you all for chiming in. I think I'm going to get me some good ole turkey Jerky and see how my girl ( my sleeve) likes that.

Yes

Im 4 weeks today & by 5 weeks you know your limits, i would get regular not spicey, that heartbur is a bi...