Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recurrent bouts of diarrhea... help

It's been almost 6 weeks now I keep getting bouts of diarrhea all of a sudden and with no apparent reason. No this is not dumping syndrome at all and I know exactly what dumping is and what causes it. I tried to keep a journal of what I eat and I still don't seem to know what triggers it or why.. my food is what I normally eat nothing new and nothing that causes dumping. I have lost a lot of weight in those 6 weeks and went from 56.8kg to 53.3kg.. if this keeps happening I will soon be under weight.. my follow up appointment with my doctor is not until end of Feb and I really don't know what to do till then.. I also feel all of a sudden like my stomach has shrunk and I'm unable to eat the quantity that I used to eat. I'm 8 months out of MGB

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Liquid in = liquid out. How is your Fiber intake?

I tried to add in fiber to my diet (pharmacy bought fiber) with no success.. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables

So this isn't normal for you ? That's been my whole life for almost 2 years, everything I eat just goes right through me.

Have you tried taking a good quality probiotic?

@@Band07

no that's not normal for me. My bowel movement was normal up until 6 weeks ago. My weight was starting to stabilize then all of the sudden just dropped and it will keep dropping if I don't find out what's causing it.

@@Elinor M. Reynolds

I eat healthy but thought of adding extra pharmacy bought fiber just in case my body is lacking on fiber. Yes I'm lactose intolerant (well I became one after the surgery) and I avoid anything dairy.

@@TXJess

I eat lots of kimchi..!

Edited by mmy

Have you always eaten the kimchi? Is that something you started doing a little before this started? I ask because cabbage can have a laxative effect. Maybe try leaving it out for a while and seeing if that helps? But im no doctor so definitely check with your primary, your surgeon, or a gastro doctor.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

Have you always eaten the kimchi? Is that something you started doing a little before this started? I ask because cabbage can have a laxative effect. Maybe try leaving it out for a while and seeing if that helps? But im no doctor so definitely check with your primary, your surgeon, or a gastro doctor.

Yes kimchi is not something new plus I have tried to stop eating it for 4 or 5 days but no difference was noted. I'm thinking either this is irritable bowel syndrome, which develops a lot of times after bariatric surgery but I'm not sure how it's treated.. Or , and I know this is rare, but maybe it's bowel endometriosis!!.. I have been diagnosed with bowel endometriosis back in 2010 through laparoscopic surgery but back then I had very little symptoms, mainly cramping and diarrhea around menstrual cycles. This now is 10 times worse and seems to be all through out the cycle though it was at its worst during menstruation... this is defiantly something I will have to speak to my doctor about but until my appointment I though of trying to find answers here maybe someone is going through something similar or knows what's causing it..

I hope it's nothing serious. I didn't know until maybe last year that endometriosis can involve more than just your uterus and things in that area. Im sorry you are dealing with this. I know how hard it is to have ongoing diarrhea. Hopefully you can find a solution soon.

I hope it's nothing serious. I didn't know until maybe last year that endometriosis can involve more than just your uterus and things in that area. Im sorry you are dealing with this. I know how hard it is to have ongoing diarrhea. Hopefully you can find a solution soon.

Thank you so much for your support.. I hope it's nothing serious but I really hate having to deal with excess weight loss now and worry so much about how much more will my weight drop.. it's so funny that up until last year I was trying so hard to lose weight and could never imagine someone trying so hard to stop weight or even gain a bit

I can't imagine how much of a mind fuck that must be. I can't even reconcile in myself that I've lost over 60lbs. I can't imagine what it must feel like to go from wanting to lose weight so bad to being scared of losing any more weight in such a short time. Have you tried upping your carbs?

I can't imagine how much of a mind f**k that must be. I can't even reconcile in myself that I've lost over 60lbs. I can't imagine what it must feel like to go from wanting to lose weight so bad to being scared of losing any more weight in such a short time. Have you tried upping your carbs?

Oh yes of course I tried upping my carbs and calories in general.. but nothing seems to work so far... I was happy at least maintaining my weight until all of this diarrhea thing started.. and as I mentioned above I also feel as if my stomach (or new pouch) has shrunk.. I'm unable to eat the same quantity I used to eat..

That sucks. I really hope you can find some answers soon.

Throwing ideas out there... maybe try a low FODMAP diet for a while? It can ease IBS symptoms if that's what it is. And try to see if your doctor can see you sooner?

Edited by clc9