Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

My name is Megan and I'm getting sleeved on January 30th, 2017. I'm 26 years old from Canada and I am a teacher.

I decided that I wanted this surgery after I started teaching elementary school summer of 2015. My students were so active and the school playground is on a hill and I was honestly dreading each day because I was having so much trouble keeping up with the students.

I decided I needed to make a change and I talked to my doctor in November of 2015 about gastric bypass surgery. I told my doctor that I was willing to pay out of pocket (not sure where I was planning on getting money from) and she explained that because I was diagnosed with hypertension and PCOS that the government's health plan will take of this for me. So we started the paper work...

May 2016 I met a nurse and a large group of people for an information session.

November 2016 I met a nurse, and my surgeon. We talked about the procedure and did a Q/A meeting.

December 2016 I did pre-op tests. I had to get a blood test, meet a nutritionist, do an EKG, an endoscopy, and meet my surgeon again.

January 30th 2017 is my surgery date.

I'm nervous. I'm freaking out. And I'm absolutely terrified of regain. I've had a bad relationship with food my entire life and I worry that I'll mess this up for myself.

I'm hoping to find an honest buddy or buddies that are in the same situation as me! I want to be able to talk and share support with people. Even give some tough love/brutal honesty sometimes when I try to make up excuses! Anybody out there looking for a sleeve buddy?

Hi Megan and welcome! Happy to help any way I can. Tough love is my style!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi Megan! I am from Canada as well. I am in the early stages; such as doing research and asking questions. I have a doc appointment in 2 weeks. This is when i plan to bring up the surgery topic. Im just curious, what is "PCOS". I am also hoping the government health plan will cover me as well. I do have a few health issues so don't think it will be an issue.

I wish you much success!

I am so excited to see people reply to my post! Thank you all so much!

I just received my two weeks of Protein drinks for my pre-op liquid diet. I start on Monday. This has been a dream for so long that I'm still in shock that it is happening for me.

Hi Megan and welcome! Happy to help any way I can. Tough love is my style!

Oh thank god for tough love being your style! I feel like it is the only thing that works on me when I start to make excuses.

Hi Megan! I am from Canada as well. I am in the early stages; such as doing research and asking questions. I have a doc appointment in 2 weeks. This is when i plan to bring up the surgery topic. Im just curious, what is "PCOS". I am also hoping the government health plan will cover me as well. I do have a few health issues so don't think it will be an issue.

I wish you much success!

PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome. It is basically caused by hormones being out of balance; cysts grow on the ovaries and causes various health issues (including diabetes and heart problems). I also have more testosterone than the average woman has, issues with periods, and infertility. My gyno thinks that being overweight my entire life is the cause of PCOS.

I am on day 2 of a 14 day liquid diet...definitely feeling depressed. I'm hungry, tired, and annoyed with everything.

@@mm7250 hang in there and stay focused and excited and take it one day at a time. Congratulations.....you made it through the first two days. I had to do two weeks of the liquid diet and once I got passed day three it seemed to get better. The feelings you have described are pretty normal. I had surgery 28 April 2016 and I am down a total of 110 lbs. I will not tell you that this is easy but you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for that @@Elle09 I have two weeks as well. It's so difficult to watch everyone around me eat as I drink a 300ml Protein Shake.< /p>

Congratulations on losing 110 lbs! This is amazing. I cannot wait for my journey to continue

@@Elle09 I got through the day, thank you so much for asking, I appreciate it!

I haven't cheated at all yet. I'm so proud of myself.

I'm a supply teacher and didn't get any calls for the last 3 days so its just been me and my thoughts. I have work from tomorrow until my surgery on the 30th and I think keeping busy is going to really help me.

It's all worth it in the end right?

@@mm7250 it is all totally worth it!!!This was such a big decision for me to make and I tell you I would do it all over again. Stick to your surgeons plan and follow their advice and you will do well. You are one more day closer. #staystrong

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App